Built in Heated Clothing Controller - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2006, 11:25 pm Thread Starter

Built in Heated Clothing Controller

Now that winter (or what passes for it in Northern California) is approaching, it's time to think about the electric jacket. One pet peeve I have is the controller- I hate the dangling wires and large controller block that always seem to get caught on something as you are getting on or off the bike. Fortunately, Gerbing makes this:

I wasn't too sure about the length of the wires, but it turns out that you have just about the right amount of wire to make the connection to the battery and place the socket underneath the fron seat:

You need to remove the large left panel and the smaller panel beneath the gas tank (sorry, no pics), but once you have those off, it's easy to run the wires. The wire for the controller exits in front of the battery.

For the controller location, I looked all around the cockpit for a suitable place to mount. I didn't really want to cut a hole in a large panel in case I changed my mind about the whole concept, but as you have probably noticed, all the panels on the GT are pretty large. Looking around the shop, I found a small plastic box left over from another project. I placed the controller in the box, and then used super double stick to mount it to the underside of the GPS mount (which is a cover if you don't have the GPS on your bike)

It turns out this is quite easy to reach when you are on the go and the light is just visible enough that hopefully you won't leave it on when you leave the bike (since it's not switched).

I'm very happy with the results. There are no wires to flop around at speed, the controller is practically invisible, and I can just grab my heated liner and go without thinking about all those connections. Now bring on winter!

JC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 5:33 am
Strafist

Nice write up and pics, JC!

To make it idjit proof (I need a lot of that, trust me) you could relay it off a switched circuit.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 9:58 am

Went with the permanent solution myself...

The coiled extension hides under the seat until needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolombo
... and the light is just visible enough that hopefully you won't leave it on when you leave the bike (since it's not switched).
Mine is wired direct also, but I wouldn't think that an accidental overnight use from the LED alone would harm the battery any more than blinking alarm LEDs ....

IBA 18417
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 11:43 am Thread Starter

Good point

Good thinking - the power to flash the light is nothing. Of course, if you actually left the jacket plugged in...

Very nice work on the controller and LED install. Do you have any issues accessing the knob while you are riding? I looked at that location, but thought it to be a bit inaccessable.

Last edited by jcolombo; Oct 21st, 2006 at 11:51 am.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 8:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolombo
Very nice work on the controller and LED install. Do you have any issues accessing the knob while you are riding? I looked at that location, but thought it to be a bit inaccessable.
Its a bit of a stretch over the tank bag, but manageable. I usually don't have to get to it too often anyway - once on start up on high and then usually only once more to turn down to the maintenance temp.

IBA 18417

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode