Idle Problem with Bucking - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 9:52 am Thread Starter

Idle Problem with Bucking

Had 7.0 installed about a month ago. Until yesterday everything was good. Then yesterday rode for an hour and got gas. When I started it again idle RPM was almost 3,000. Idle went down after opening throttle. After that the bike ran awful, bucking worse the ever.

Started the GT this morning. Idle back at 1200 and riding like a dream. I know LA-K12GT has had a similar experience. Anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 10:27 am

Although I didn't have exactly the same symptoms, I also had a problem when restarting the bike after a short stop (i.e. when the engine was still hot). In my case the idle would be only slightly high on starting, but as soon as I opened the throttle to pull away it would cut out. This was with the 7.0 software. When starting from cold (i.e. the next day, or after a long stop) there was never a problem.

At the first service, I reported the fault and when they checked the computer it had recorded the cut-outs occuring. The dealer upgraded the software to the latest 7.0.1, which appears to have solved the problem, in that I have not had a repeat occurance since the service. Might be worth trying to get the latest software version and see if this makes a difference.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 1:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisdy
Although I didn't have exactly the same symptoms, I also had a problem when restarting the bike after a short stop (i.e. when the engine was still hot). In my case the idle would be only slightly high on starting, but as soon as I opened the throttle to pull away it would cut out. This was with the 7.0 software. When starting from cold (i.e. the next day, or after a long stop) there was never a problem.

At the first service, I reported the fault and when they checked the computer it had recorded the cut-outs occuring. The dealer upgraded the software to the latest 7.0.1, which appears to have solved the problem, in that I have not had a repeat occurance since the service. Might be worth trying to get the latest software version and see if this makes a difference.
How many miles you got on your bike?

I just pass 3000 miles today. Bike was a dream during the first 1000 miles... Then come stall, idle high, rpm stay where you blip it to for 1/2 second and come down slowly.

If you don't pay attention, you might not notice the 3rd problem (rpm stay where you blip it to for 1/2 second and come down slowly)

Next time, when you notice your bike ride funny... or back fire constantly... or throttle very sensitive... Hold you clutch in and rpm to 4k + watch the RPM needle... You will see what I mean... Check the rpm... you might be rpming high also...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 12:39 pm

My symptoms started when the bike only had about 500 miles, up to the first service at 850. As I said, since I had the upgrade I haven't seen the fault recur - that could be coincidence, as the bike was serviced at the same time, but the upgrade to 7.0.1 could also be the reason for the improvement. The dealer certainly said they had done the upgrade as a consequence of what they saw on the diagnostic computer check.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 12:46 pm

Get yer dealer to check it out.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 2:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisdy
My symptoms started when the bike only had about 500 miles, up to the first service at 850. As I said, since I had the upgrade I haven't seen the fault recur - that could be coincidence, as the bike was serviced at the same time, but the upgrade to 7.0.1 could also be the reason for the improvement. The dealer certainly said they had done the upgrade as a consequence of what they saw on the diagnostic computer check.
I forgot which thread that one of us said the 7.0.1 didn't fix the problem. Hope it work for you...

Just wondering, how many miles you got you bike now?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 2:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadham
Get yer dealer to check it out.
Brought it back to the dealer 2 times.

First time, they didn't detect any problem.

Second time, they said oxygen sensor bad. Replaced, but bike still have the problem...

What is really frustrationg is that the problems will come and go, will happen any time... You just never know when. I am planning to ride with my camera from now on and will video tape and show to dealer and to member in this forum.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2006, 7:01 am

idle problem

I am v interested in hearing if more people are having idle problems with the K1200GT.My bike is four months old,after first 500k i noticed that when i closed the throttle rpm would hang at 1800rpm.There seemed to be no pattern to this occurence ie. didnt seem to be related to time engine was running, temp. of eng.3200kms later, three visits to dealer the problem is still there. BMW carried out- adjustment of throttle cables,replacement of idle valve,replace airbox and stepper motor. The last time this problem occured rpm would hang at 3000 but by blipping throttle i could get normal control again !!!..anyone out there got any ideas, solutions, .. Regards
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2006, 11:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudge
I am v interested in hearing if more people are having idle problems with the K1200GT.My bike is four months old,after first 500k i noticed that when i closed the throttle rpm would hang at 1800rpm.There seemed to be no pattern to this occurence ie. didnt seem to be related to time engine was running, temp. of eng.3200kms later, three visits to dealer the problem is still there. BMW carried out- adjustment of throttle cables,replacement of idle valve,replace airbox and stepper motor. The last time this problem occured rpm would hang at 3000 but by blipping throttle i could get normal control again !!!..anyone out there got any ideas, solutions, .. Regards
Wow, looks like you dealer is really trying hard to fix this for you. My dealer still can't see the problem, they just replace my oxygen sensor recently due to computer fault. Still got the same problem.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2006, 4:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-K12GT
I forgot which thread that one of us said the 7.0.1 didn't fix the problem. Hope it work for you...

Just wondering, how many miles you got you bike now?
Just over 1000 (working too many weekends at present), but I've done a few journeys which have involved a short stop of the type that used to cause the problem, but all seems OK now. I have my fingers firmly crossed saying things like that though.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode