Been away for a bit... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 4:42 pm Thread Starter

Been away for a bit...

And no offense guys, but it's primarily because I feel that I own a different bike then the majority in this forum. I consider myself a realist, and I typically don't look at things with rose-colored glasses. And after over 10K, I still consider this GT to be the best bike I've ever owned.

Having said that, I hope I don't like the GTR1400 too too much when I see it for the first time...perhaps at the Cleveland bike show in late January '07. Time will tell. But for now, I am ecstatic with my '06 GT. A marvelous machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 5:54 pm

I was beginning to wonder...

I thought the local Gendarme may have finally caught up to you and you were paying your debt to society for all of that excessive speed.

Sometimes in forums devoted to a particular brand there can be a bit of fanaticism. If you want to see it an order or two of magnitude greater than here, hop on over to the Classic Boston Whaler site.

That said can you imagine what it may be to be a dealer to some from here and other BMW fan sites?

owner: "I read on the internet that my bike is broke!"

dealer "What is wrong with it?"

owner: "I printed it out from ILoveBMWBikes.com"

dealer: "What symptoms are you experiencing?"

owner: "Can't you read? It say it right there!"

dealer: "OK, you have experienced these?"

owner: "Not directly, BUT I WILL and you have to fix it!!!"

dealer: "Why?"

owner: "Because the guys on the internet said my bike is broke, you have to fix it. I even printed out how you have to fix it. And it better be done under warranty or I will post how bad my experience is with you as a dealer!"

dealer: "OK"

Brian

Last edited by bnblazer; Oct 21st, 2006 at 6:07 pm.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 6:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
And no offense guys, but it's primarily because I feel that I own a different bike then the majority in this forum. I consider myself a realist, and I typically don't look at things with rose-colored glasses. And after over 10K, I still consider this GT to be the best bike I've ever owned.

Having said that, I hope I don't like the GTR1400 too too much when I see it for the first time...perhaps at the Cleveland bike show in late January '07. Time will tell. But for now, I am ecstatic with my '06 GT. A marvelous machine.

Joe...
i've been wondering what happened to you, my friend
i'm glad that you are ok

i've missed you presence here
thanks for posting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2006, 6:28 pm

oh
and i hope to ride that GTR 1400 when it arrives as well...
it'll make out GT feel like my '96 RT.... i'm sure
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 5:49 pm

Quote:

Joe,

I think MY GT is the best bike that I've ever owned as well!

I saw the preproduction prototype GTR1400 at the Kawasaki display at Biketoberfest Friday. There's a LOT to like about that machine!
- The bags come off very similar to ours. The key MUST be used every time to open the bags
- The handlebar grips seem to be a bit higher than ours, when ours are set the the highest position.
- The seat feels pretty good.
- NO cruise control! The rep was a bit defensive about the lack, and said it is still under consideration, as are heated grips. There's HOPE!
- Fit and finish seemed a touch crude, compared to our GT, but it WAS a preproduction prototype, after all.
- The muffler sticking out beyond the rear tire looked a bit strange, but my wife said she LIKED the looks of it.
- The seating position felt more touring oriented than our GT. Footpegs father ahead, more like the FJR. (Rep made no secret of their target!)
- Windscreen was WAY too low to go well with the high bars! I'm sure the aftermarket will take care of that.
- The "storage" compartment in the center of the tank looks a bit odd, and would be useless with a tank bag. Its very small too, way smaller than the one on our GT.

Here's the BIG news! Kawasaki "currently" plans to have "some" GTR1400 bikes in the demo fleet during Bike Week at Daytona next spring. Dealers should have bikes start showing up soon after, probably no later than early May!

Overall, I was fairly impressed. At first blush, I think I like it better than the FJR, although I'd be hard pressed to accept it as a substitute for my GT.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 6:08 pm

excellent news, ruben

if they are stupid enough to NOT include cruise control...
hmmmmm
i just can't believe they would do that
of course.... it would be par for the course, just like with yamaha

they better have heated grips as well if they want a single buyer from the BMW WORLD
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 8:30 am

Quote:
Joe -
I have missed you!
However, I echo your first comments.
I'm feeling like there has been a "grieving of the spirit" lately.
The mega-posters who in my opinion have nothing of any significance to say.
Just my opinion tho'.
I'll continue to watch from the sidelines as I have time.

Glad your fine Joe.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 8:36 am
Statmaster

Quote:
I feel the same way about the GT as you do. It keeps getting better every day.

Glad to see you back. Talked to David Taylor over the weekend. He said you've been extra busy at work. It's about time you had something else to do that lurk around here. LOL!!!

Welcome back, Joe!

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:12 am
Veteran

Thumbs up

Welcome back Joe!

Like you, this bike is the best I've ever owned. NO issues with drivability. None. I don't understand what's up with some of the bikes (people) on the forum.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode