About that "Spike" BMW calls a sidestand. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 8:02 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Exclamation About that "Spike" BMW calls a sidestand.

While parked at a local mountaintop eatery, I came out to find my GT about ready to fall over!

Seems the sidestand augured its way into the asphalt parking lot and made a really nice hole. The area wasn't hot, maybe 60-65 degrees today. For hot climates I've used one of those plastic foots on a tether to the handlebars.

Just today it wasn't that hot or wet. The stand sunk about 1-2 inches, but the bike was almost impossible to upright. When the stand sunk, the asphalt above it caved in over the top like quicksand.

I had a Fat Foot bolted on the old RT and it worked well. I've been looking for something similar for the new GT, but all I can find are for the earlier models (-'04).

Anyone got one or a link to one for the 2006 GT?

Tia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 8:24 pm
Addict-oholic

I carry a hockey puck ( a round metal aluminum disk ) to put under the sidestand. I also have a BMW foot that I purchased from A&W or Sierra several years ago. A 600 plus pound puck puts a lot of pressure on the foot that hsas almost no bottom surface area.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 9:06 pm

I welded a piece of 1/4" steel onto the bottom of mine after I nicely shaped it to follow the original, except it's 2.75" by 3.25". All told it took about 1/2 hour. Just make sure you disconnect the negative on the battery first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 5:56 am

What side stand

I find the side stand, a little to short, a little to narrow and the most insane thing it does not lock. The only time I use the center one is cleaning or maintenace.
David
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 7:25 am

I increased the size of my foot by about 75%, and it hasn't sunk since. No clearance issues, and plenty of room to go bigger if you want. BMW should have made it at least this big, given the GT's lean angle and weight.

Edit: A tip. Always park in 1st gear, and rolled forward against the drive lash. It allows a lot more sinking without rolling forward, causing the side-stand to retract.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 7:39 am
Veteran

Wunderlich has a 'fat foot' for the '06 GT in their catalogue. Perhaps someone can look it up. I saw it last week, decided that I ddn't want it. It's $34.95; Can't remember if Santa Cruz BMW or A & S sent me the catalogue. I keep a puck with a string attached in my tank bag. Works well.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 7:51 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
Wunderlich has a 'fat foot' for the '06 GT in their catalogue. Perhaps someone can look it up. I saw it last week, decided that I ddn't want it. It's $34.95; Can't remember if Santa Cruz BMW or A & S sent me the catalogue. I keep a puck with a string attached in my tank bag. Works well.
John, curious as to why you wouldn't want it? I tried one at the Vermont rally, it was for an '05 - '06 K "S". Didn't quite fit. Beautiful product though. I would have bought it if it had fit.

I've been checking BMW Santa Cruz's website regularly for one for our model to appear there, but nothing on-line yet. And the German Wunderlich site still doesn't even list the new generation GT!

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 7:58 am
Veteran

It Wasn't Black

No, just kidding Chris. Actually, and honesty good for the soul, I do want it, but can't find my Wunderlich catalog or I would have gotten the P/N for the threadstarter. Funny you replied because I just sent a PM to LOGGIEBONE asking him if I was going nuts? (he has the 12s and the 12gt)When I had my 12S I don't remember the lean angle on the sidestand as severe as on the GT or if the additional weight of the GT makes it more difficult to straighten up. Damn, sometimes I worry (I'm 5/ 8" with 31 inseam) if the bike's gonna tip over OR if it's so far over I can't get it upright???

I carry a puck in the tankbag with a string attached. Look like an idiot sometimes in the parking lot putting the puck down and getting it up. The HD guys love to bust your cajones when you pull out the puck!

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 9:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
And the German Wunderlich site still doesn't even list the new generation GT!
You can try this link:

Wunderlich K1200GT website

and the k1200GT pdf catalog

Livin
K1200GT (2007-?)
R1150RT (2002-2006)
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:07 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRT

Excellent!! Thank you! Very interesting products. Very.

Still no foot for the sidestand though.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode