Paint Protection - Tankslapper - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 12:21 am Thread Starter
bjn

Paint Protection - Tankslapper

I noticed that www.thetankslapper.com now has a kit available for the GT. For USD$51 deliverred to Australia it seems like its worth giving the product a go. It's a lot less money than other kits I have seen (like at stickercity.com).

Has anyone had much experience with their products? Do they work and are they as 'invisible' as they say?

I was really only looking for stuff for the tank and panniers but if I can get a whole bike kit for $50 I might give it a go.

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 1:05 am
Addict

Worked fine on a couple of black bikes I put them on once. Key is follow the instructions. Liberally use rubbing alcohol, water, with a squeegee, maybe a hair dryer to help... and it works. Nice and transparent.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 6:22 am

What about tank protection that is held in place by static electricity. Does this exist?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 3:38 pm

bjn, paint protection

Hi all,
I'm not sure of this product but I purchased the wunderlich kit for my 04K1200RS. I thought at the time it was very expensive by the time it was delivered to australia. I also had trouble finding someone to fit it, as I was worried Id screw it up, and given it wasnt cheap, blah blah.
No one wanted to do it, however after a shot of motivation from someone on this forum, i had a go myself.
Piece of cake, follow the instructions, i was told to put just three drops of detergent into a litre of water (then in a mist spray bottle). Lots of patience required, maybe a beer or two, or whatever yr thing is.
I was heading off around australia (15000 klms) and figured the kit was cheaper than a respray when I got home. Bike came home perfect.
I think the kit worked out to be about $300 AUS.
Mail me if you want more info.

Marty from Oz.
This is a bloody big Island
04 KRS Capri Blue ( the fastest colour )
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 9:58 pm
Enthusiast

Tank protection

I purchased the tank side pads from Tech Specs - great product. Gives you terrific grip and they fit the bike extremely well.
Have also added the Z-tech carbon fiber tank protector for the center area. Nice fit and nice product.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2006, 6:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricbob
I purchased the tank side pads from Tech Specs - great product. Gives you terrific grip and they fit the bike extremely well.
Have also added the Z-tech carbon fiber tank protector for the center area. Nice fit and nice product.
I looked up the cf tank protector at z-tech. It is not listed for the current model GT. What one did you get? Similar for the tank side pads. Did you cut your own?

Thanks,
Brian
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2006, 9:13 am
Enthusiast

I pre paid for a complete set about two months ago. I talked to Lucas yesterday and he is sending it out today. I will report back when I receive the package.

06 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2006, 9:51 am

I had a tankslapper set for my k12R. Installation is the key. They say it doesn't stick to matte finish, which is sort of what the silver k12 paint is. It sticks fine if you're diligent about getting it just right. I rushed it. One knee panel of mine didn't stay stuck and disappeared somewhere in the mountains. At some point I'll reinstall it. The zipper section is still in place 6 months later and has worked fine.

It's all virtually invisible when installed. I was pleasantly surprised about that. Take your time putting it on.

Oh, it's also good thick stuff. It's not just some flimsy film.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2006, 10:48 pm
Enthusiast

Tank Protector

Brian
Neither are listed. I guess they are too new. You just need to call them. Both companies are terrific to deal with. I personally did not like the center protector for the tank that Tech Specs makes which drove me to the Z-Tech CF protector. The tank side pads are not CF - more of a snakeskin look and feel.
If you have trouble locating the parts, let me know and i will see if I can find my receipts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2006, 2:11 pm
WMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricbob
Brian
Neither are listed. I guess they are too new. You just need to call them. Both companies are terrific to deal with. I personally did not like the center protector for the tank that Tech Specs makes which drove me to the Z-Tech CF protector. The tank side pads are not CF - more of a snakeskin look and feel.
If you have trouble locating the parts, let me know and i will see if I can find my receipts.
Ricbob,
Haven't had much luck with either. If you could find and publish the part numbers ( and contacts) it would be appreciated.

Also - has anyone else started to wear on the front panels with their knees? I am starting to think I am going to have to put something there as well - preferably in carbon fiber :-).
Thanks,
Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode