Shift irregularities - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:55 am Thread Starter

Shift irregularities

I'm always open to the fact that I'm very far from perfect and operator error has a significant degree of probability here but, do ya'll notice one or both of the following?

1) From a rolling stop in 1st or from a complete stop, under quick acceleration the upshift from 1st to 2nd finds nuetral. This has happened about 5 times. It's odd, because it seems easier to find N in a 6000rpm shift from 1st than at idle!

2) From nuetral, at a stop, it won't downshift into 1st. If let the bike roll a bit and blip the throttle while letting out the clutch and then try for first it will go or upshifting to second and then down to 1st works. This has happened about 10 times.

I'm at 192 miles on the clock.

Edit - one other thing -- the clickity-clickity and rear brake pedal vibration when hitting the front brake is the "integratied braking mechaism" I'm assuming? Just never felt/heard it before. Kinda funny.

Gracias!

Last edited by backpain; Oct 23rd, 2006 at 11:04 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:49 am
Veteran

I'll offer some of my observations, personal as well as from other riders on here:
  1. You're low miles, this will improve over time. Breakin as well as user interface ability seem to both play a role here.
  2. As much as you think you should, don't grab a "whole" handful of clutch, especially between 1 & 2, 2 & 3. Instead, grab just a little squeeze. Seems to make for a much smoother shift.
  3. Finally, the shifter linkage is adjustable. A little searching on here will lead you to the right thread for this topic.

Best of luck and enjoy the new ride.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 3:58 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpain
I'm always open to the fact that I'm very far from perfect and operator error has a significant degree of probability here but, do ya'll notice one or both of the following?

1) From a rolling stop in 1st or from a complete stop, under quick acceleration the upshift from 1st to 2nd finds nuetral. This has happened about 5 times. It's odd, because it seems easier to find N in a 6000rpm shift from 1st than at idle!

2) From nuetral, at a stop, it won't downshift into 1st. If let the bike roll a bit and blip the throttle while letting out the clutch and then try for first it will go or upshifting to second and then down to 1st works. This has happened about 10 times.

Edit - one other thing -- the clickity-clickity and rear brake pedal vibration when hitting the front brake is the "integratied braking mechaism" I'm assuming? Just never felt/heard it before. Kinda funny.

Gracias!
Problem 1, only happens when I do a "pussyfoot" shift.
Problem 2. Yes. I complained in a previou s thread. Told the dealer, they said just roll it a bit with the clutch out. One other poster here mentioned that its the way the gears are cut. For me not much of a problem.....

1500 miles not and no regrets........

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 5:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard
Problem 1, only happens when I do a "pussyfoot" shift.
Problem 2. Yes. I complained in a previou s thread. Told the dealer, they said just roll it a bit with the clutch out. One other poster here mentioned that its the way the gears are cut. For me not much of a problem.....

1500 miles not and no regrets........
Problem 1, yep. It could just be the old commitment issues coming back.

Pussyfoot is that different than a camel toe?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 5:19 pm
Addict

Quote:

Pussyfoot is that different than a camel toe?
2 different beast. Ass far as I know they don't have a "ratemypussyfoot.com".........

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 5:22 pm

Quote:

Gracias!
This happen to me a few time... When you quick shift, you get neutral... :o When you try to find neutral, you go from 1 to 2 and 2 to 1...

No big deal... Just deal with it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 9:13 pm
Just saying hey

Quote:

Gracias!
8000 miles of mixed riding and I have missed (believe it or not) 1-2 shift once, and no other shifts at all. This coming from a guy that logged 25k on the K12RS and 14k on the LT, with regularly missed shifts, especially on the RS. So I am no master at all I just think the GT transmission is that much better. I would play with the linkage were I you.

Get used to the clunk, it's trademarked, I think.

9baller
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2006, 5:43 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9baller
8000 miles of mixed riding and I have missed (believe it or not) 1-2 shift once, and no other shifts at all. This coming from a guy that logged 25k on the K12RS and 14k on the LT, with regularly missed shifts, especially on the RS. So I am no master at all I just think the GT transmission is that much better. I would play with the linkage were I you.

Get used to the clunk, it's trademarked, I think.

9baller
My left ankle is fused from one of those straight tequila nights when I was younger and dumber. I find the GT is the easiest shifting bike since I rode Harley, where, if you could stomp, you could shift. On the LT, especially when riding spirited, I'd miss a shift every now and then. The GT is like an extension of the body.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2006, 7:14 pm

The neutral into first problem isn't that uncommon on the BMW's I've owned. A simple fix is to just preload the shifter. Rest your foot on it as you pull the clutch in, it will drop right into gear. Once you're used to it it's very natural and gives you first everytime.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode