Another GT vs. everything else thread - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2006, 7:28 pm Thread Starter

Another GT vs. everything else thread

Hey folks. I've been reading the threads and searching the archives for a month or so while I continue to bike shop.

I'll try to keep this brief. I'm 40, and after about a ten year gap, have been riding about two years. I tend to like high performance but reasonably practical cars and bikes. I do most of my riding in ~200 mile bits with the rare over-nighter. I am planning on riding the Three Flags Classic (~4k miles round trip) with my father (he has ridden it a few times) around Labor Day '07.

The RT was at the top of my wish list -- until I rode the GT. Suddenly, I'm not interested in the RT... But it did bring the FJR back into the picture. Essentially, I want the performance of the GT/FJR but don't want to go to the next level of ST bikes (ST3, ST, VFR). I prefer new or lightly used. Both seem to fit me fine. As a general perspective, I prefer German cars (have one newer and one older) and certainly have previously chosen to pay the price premium to own German sport sedans.

So, I prefer the GT but am having trouble justifying the large price difference. I realize that there is much more to the decision than money but the practical side of me is having reservations. Is there a pill I can take for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2006, 8:10 pm
Strafist

The pill would be the bike that makes you smile the most. I'm having SEG (shit eating grin) tatooed across my forehead so folks will know what's wrong with me.

A close friend mentioned that my personality had even changed.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 12:45 am Thread Starter

How about if I take another shot.

What were the features or reasons that you bought the GT vs. one of it's competitors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 1:04 am
Addict

Bryan, this is from a post I made about a month ago. I hope it helps.

This is the best motorcycle I've ever owned period. I'll try to break down each section.

ESA. It works. For extended straight line slab riding the comfort setting is great. Moving to the high speed sweepers, the normal setting is better. Then getting into the twisties, the sport setting is great. All three setting work as advertised.

Cruise Control. Great feature. I've never used any type of throttle assist system before. Ever. I quickly adapted to the cruise control on the KGT. It was nice to be able to set the cruise for the long stretches and relax. I could enjoy the scenery, even take some pictures. No worries. And riding a bike with this much power and speed it's nice to let the cruise control do the throttle work. It can keep you out of trouble. At least me anyway.

Power and Speed. What can I say. The engine sounds like a formula 1 car when you twist the grip. But the power comes on differently than any other bike I've ridden. It's so smooth that you accelerate much quicker than you realize. The upper end of the rpm range is rarely touched under normal riding conditions. Max speed? Still don't know but I have confirmed 142 MPH with bags at an unknown location at an unknown time by an unknown vehicle operator.

Low speed throttle issues. There's considerable discussion on this website about the 7.0 software upgrade. My bike still has the original fuel injection and ignition mapping and so far I'm completely satisfied and do not want to upgrade. I can pull from a dead stop with just the release of the clutch and do slow speed maneuvers with ease. No abrupt throttle response or surging. I like it!

Gears and spacing. Perfect. What can I say. It pulls like a mule in 6th from 3000 and beyond so down shifts are at your option and I never catch my self going for another "top" gear like I would on my other Beemers. The gear shift clunk is most prevalent in the first 3 gears then disappears in the last 3. Speed shifting, oh yes, oh yes. No problem. Down shift snags. Just during the first 600 miles and I blame myself for not downshifting in step with my speed reduction. But now no worries. Shifts great and I'm either just getting used to the clunk or it's actually going away as I don't notice it as much.

Clutch Groan and Chatter. Occasionally. Just at initial engagement but nothing to complain about yet.

Windscreen. Again perfect. I have the factory tall windscreen and I left it in the full up position during most of the highway miles. I'm 5' 11' and in the full up position I can still see over the top of the windscreen but the wind noise is greatly reduced. At the end of a 600 mile day I didn't have any ringing or buzzing in my ears and I wasn't wearing earplugs. If I want or need more air, just lower the windscreen. Very nice.

Handling. Simply incredible. I was able to pass in the curves on two lane asphalt under full acceleration with complete confidence. The bike was well planted and went where I wanted to. I've never ridden a bike that has handled as easily as this one. The only complaint that I have is that it doesn't like 18 wheeler or side wind gust air turbulence. I attribute this to the aero dynamics. The same characteristics that give it its missile like abilities are a negative when you get hit with side winds. I had a couple serious wind gusts riding across the Montana open plains that scared the hell out of me. It could also be the tires. Iím going to switch the Michelin Pilot Sport tires when itís time.

Electric Servo Assist Brakes. I know this has been discontinued but it's worth mentioning. The brake system may not have gotten a fair shake. It works. It's different but it works. Being able to haul a bike down from the 1 ton mark with ease and confidence is a plus. And in spite of those that have said otherwise, it still has brakes with the ignition off.

On Board Computer. Nice feature. I was able to monitor my miles to empty. The ambient temperature and my oil level with the push of button. There were several times that the freeze warning indicator came in handy.

Average Fuel Economy. I don't know how the engineers did it but I averaged 48 mpg for my whole trip. Many times I could get approximately 300 miles between fuel stops. And this was at 80 plus mph for miles.

Saddle Bag Capacity. I purchased the factory bag liners and I did not have any issues packing clothing, extra gloves, liners and my computer. The only negative with the bags is the plastic lip on the inner half of each saddle bag. This lip contacts the rubber seal on the outer half for a water proof seal. It's too easy to catch something between the bag halves during closing and damage the lip. I actually broke a small section of the lip right after I purchased the bike when the inner bag retaining strap dropped in between during closing. I fixed with some JB Weld. I've since completely removed the retaining straps. Stuff happens.

Handle Bar and Grip Position. I usually get a pinch between my shoulders during long rides. Never happened. Could be because my ass was hurting so bad but I doubt it. I never experience shoulder or back pain. The adjustable handle bar system must be working.

So thatís my summary of the new KGT for now. My bike is in Hollister, CA at Corbin getting fitted for new seats and a smuggler option. Corbin is using my bike for their production versions so Iíll get everything free. Attached are a couple of photos of the seat base pan being made. Iíll fly down to San Francisco on Nov. 18th to pick it up.

John
06 CGM KGT
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 9:26 am
Veteran

I have to be careful here Bryan as to not incite the people that have FJR's, ST's, etc. I could reiterate all of the ESA's, cruise, fit, finish, BMW logo, etc. but without speaking for the masses, all of those things are super important and to me make up the price disparity. But, just as there's the Harley Davidson mystique, I personally think there's a BMW mystique.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:28 am
Addict

Both bikes are fine bikes, Bmer is better but I'm biased. If cost is a huge factor including service, FJR maybe a better choice. For me cost was not the biggest thing it was all the stuff written above plus the fact I spent a few weeks in southern germany and just fell in love with all the european bikes in the Alps. Bmers/DUcatis.....

But if cost is the biggest issue, and the FJR is what you decide, may want to wait for the new Kawi Concourse.....

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:32 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
But, just as there's the Harley Davidson mystique, I personally think there's a BMW mystique.
Agree with the BMer mystique... I think the Harley mystique is dying. Last weekend on my 300 mile ride including Napa and SOnoma counties, 4 out of 5 bikes were Harleys. Kind of becoming the Toyota Camry of bikes..... Everyone has one or is getting one.....

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:57 am
Veteran

Quote:I think the Harley mystique is dying.

I think the mystique is, why are so many people buying HD's. We have grumblers on these BMW sites that 20,000+ for a cycle is ridiculous . . . go to an HD dealership and look at a CVO Screaming Eagle chrome behemoth at $35,000+ and put your name on a list to get one? That's mystique!

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 2:59 pm
Veteran

You're too polite John.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 3:16 pm

GT v. FJR, etc

I 've ridden both with a lot more time on FJR. Both great bikes which do the job well. Really depends upon price and budget. BMW fit, finish, community and exclusivity (due to high price) win out if price is no object. Otherwise , get the FJR, which I also guess will be more reliable and less to maintain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode