'06 K1200GT brake failure - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2006, 3:20 am Thread Starter
Noob

'06 K1200GT brake failure

The other day my bike gave a brake error on starting the bike up after riding it a half mile to a coffee shop from work- the brake warning message blinked fast (no triangle after the first couple seconds' normal ones). The owner's manual says that means the ABS is not initialized. This means it does not apply any power and the residual brakes do not work well enough to feel safe to me. I turned off the bike, tried again, drove it a few short times, still no good. I finally had the dealer pick it up and thankfully the issue repeated for them. After hooking the bike to the computer and reading NO error codes from it they said the problem disappeared. They have had my bike a few days now trying to get it to repeat. Any suggestions? This doesn't fit the failure mode I have read about of needs warmed up, insufficient brake fluid, or pump failure 'cause it did it hot and cold, it did it a bunch, and then went away and stayed away for at least a few days. To me it seems like it might be a computer issue. I have about 4000 miles on the bike. Also, the brakes have always felt kind of grabby.

Thanks!

Dave

Last edited by davealan; Oct 25th, 2006 at 3:29 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2006, 5:22 pm
Noob

I had similar brake failure on my GT a few months ago.

The brakes failed and I only got residual braking. I could turn the ignition off and on again and sometimes the brakes came back sometimes they didn't.

BMW recovered the bike to the dealer (excellent guys at Rainbow) who saw the fault codes on the computer history but couldn't replicate them. At this point they suspected that the brake pump was to blame but BMW GB would not replace it and told them to bleed the entire system and see if the error codes persisted.

The codes did not appear but I never even got out of the garage forecourt when the brakes failed again. This time the garage persuaded BMW GB to sanction the pump replacement and everything has been perfect ever since. I have had over 4000 miles of riding round the Isle of Man and touring France with no problems.

At the end of the day it was a good mechanic's intuition and knowledge that proved to be a far better judge of things than relying unquestioningly on the computer diagnosis which missed the real cause of the problem.

Good luck with yours

Tom
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2006, 5:54 pm

In late september I took my new 06' KS in for starting issues . They ran the vin then checked my bike for fork color. The silver framed bikes had a recall for the front speed sensor . The light stays on for a few feet while testing the speed sensors So that might just of been the problem encountered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2006, 1:04 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for your help, guys. They are ready for me to pick up the bike - can't get up there till Saturday morning but will have it for the weekend. They re-downloaded the 7.0 to the ABS system, thinking it did not take fully. I doubt that 'cause if the firmware was messed up it would have been from the start and it didn't show a problem till days later. Anyway, I will see if this was a one-time incident or not and I am sure the dealer will do right by me if it happens again, they always do (Santa Fe BMW). I think other possibilities are a bad chip that a bit locked up on (yes it does happen!), a loose computer electrical connection caused during the first 7.0 download last week, or a mechanical part as some of you suggested that is going out and just starting to show under limited conditions. Whatever it is, no error codes show in the computer logs.

Regards,
Dave
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2006, 3:01 am Thread Starter
Noob

update

Got the bike last Saturday. Drove it every day no problem till today when it did the same thing. Couldn't get the brake failure light to stop blinking fast, no power assist. Tonight I checked for loose or pinched electrical connections, wiggled connectors, no luck. Still blinking fast. Pumped the rear brake lever hard about 5 times, light went to slow blink - which is normal on startup - aha! looks to me like air in the rear line, I will run the info by the beemer dealer tomorrow. If that consistently fixes it when I get that symptom I will think I'm onto something. I plan to ask if they want to bleed the system.

PS - I am not whining I just want to solve problems and use this forum for information. People who think forums are just for boasting or telling stories - well, fine. Not for me.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2006, 12:46 pm
Addict

Dave,

We are looking forward to hearing what the final solution for your problem is so please post it when you get your bike fixed. You said earlier that the brakes felt grabby and from what you just described it could very well be air somewhere in the brake system. When I pulled my left side panel for some farkle wiring, I was quite surprised to see how my brake lines are fed in and out of the ABS module.

Speaking of the brakes in general, before I purchased my 06 KGT I was apprehensive of the electric servo assist but at least on my bike the brakes are very smooth and I don't have any unintended excessive braking problems. The only thing I don't like is the annoying hum of the servo at stops. I have learned how to entertain myself while waiting for stop lights to turn green by alternately squeezing and releasing the front brake lever at varying pressures I can change the pitch of the servo and play a tune!

And reporting a problem you're having is not whining.

Take care and I hope you get your bike fixed soon.

John
06 CGM KGT
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2006, 12:15 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by John06KGT
Dave,

We are looking forward to hearing what the final solution for your problem is so please post it when you get your bike fixed. You said earlier that the brakes felt grabby and from what you just described it could very well be air somewhere in the brake system. When I pulled my left side panel for some farkle wiring, I was quite surprised to see how my brake lines are fed in and out of the ABS module.

Speaking of the brakes in general, before I purchased my 06 KGT I was apprehensive of the electric servo assist but at least on my bike the brakes are very smooth and I don't have any unintended excessive braking problems. The only thing I don't like is the annoying hum of the servo at stops. I have learned how to entertain myself while waiting for stop lights to turn green by alternately squeezing and releasing the front brake lever at varying pressures I can change the pitch of the servo and play a tune!

And reporting a problem you're having is not whining.

Take care and I hope you get your bike fixed soon.

John
06 CGM KGT
Thanks, John, I will keep everyone informed about this. The dealer didn't know what to do when I called them so I didn't bring it in. I am going to keep monitoring it and get more data about exactly what conditions trigger it and what relieves the problem. Air in the rear line caused an issue on my K12LT years ago - grabby, dust on the wheel (not much on this bike), and toasted the rotor in a few thousand miles. I suggested it to the dealer but they did not agree at this point.
BTW I used to live in Newberg, OR for years, and loved driving my bike down to Wilsonville the back way - that's one pretty drive! I also loved driving the bike up over Chehalem to Hillsboro where I worked- the only time in my life I ever positively ENJOYED commuting. Riding is a great stress reliever for me and Oregon is one beautiful state especially around where you are.
And I am definitely going to have to try to play some tunes on the servo assist!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2006, 12:38 am

I had the same with my new K1200GT 2006, was 1 month old.
Result brake pump was broken.
My dealer replaced it and now no problems anymore.

Kind regards,

[email protected]

Last edited by fireman_belgium; Nov 10th, 2006 at 1:28 am.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2006, 6:59 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman_belgium
I had the same with my new K1200GT 2006, was 1 month old.
Result brake pump was broken.
My dealer replaced it and now no problems anymore.

Kind regards,

[email protected]
May I ask what the symptoms or errors were that made the dealer think of the brake pump? For some reason this is not occuring to my dealer, maybe because the problem is so intermittent at this time. It seems like maybe a brake pump malfunction would happen more than twice on rare occasion like on my bike. Did your brake pump problem occur more often?

thanks,
Dave
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2006, 9:33 pm Thread Starter
Noob

brake failure warning update

Looks like the root cause is the rear brake switch - faulty, sticks, this prevents brake system from initializing. You can replicate it by applying one of the brakes during startup. Dealer ordered new switches. Thanks to all for your ideas.

Cheers,
Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode