Anyone not having problems? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2006, 10:53 pm Thread Starter

Anyone not having problems?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new K1200GT. Dealer sent me an email saying he may have located what I'm looking for, a blue 06 or 07 K1200GT, new. Going through these threads I see so many problems, one that really bothers me, surging, bucking, motor stalls and no help from the dealer network. Am I about to make a big mistake here? I have a Road Glide and a Deuce in the garage now, so I'm not desperate for a new bike. However, I did test ride an R1200RT, I can say some good things about it but not enough to get me off the Glide. Then I rode the K1200GT, that one won me over. But not if it will have unsolvable problems in 500 to 2000 miles.

On the other hand, do we have a situation like I've seen in other forums, a few people with problems come to the forums to vent, the VAST majority are enjoying their K1200GT's in quiet bliss?

Last edited by Blackhorse17; Oct 25th, 2006 at 10:59 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2006, 11:52 pm

Quite a few of us are having problem with our 06 - 07 GT.

Anyway we can do a poll?
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2006, 12:31 am

Talking my experience

I had a Harley 2000 Road king for 3 years. Went to the BMW K1200LT loved the bike but I wanted more power. Was the 1st to get The new 06' GT in my area have about 9000. miles on it and it hasn't given me any problems. Don't even mind the seat. Took a 4000 mile trip 3 weeks ago and the bike was flawless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2006, 12:48 am
Noob

problems but still a great bike

Having a few problems. One was the sucky stock seat but my Bill Mayer saddle I replaced it with is great. Problem solved. Next is the combination of computer issues but really only a few incidents in 4000 miles. This is a known hazard of a new model high tech anything in my opinion. I knew when I got it there could be issues but I have never had a bike that handled this well and still was good for long drives so I bought it anyway and have never regretted it. This bike always puts a big shit-eating grin on my face. I think part of the issue people are seeing is the bike is so high strung it takes getting used to, like any thoroughbred. The dealer, Santa Fe BMW, is working with me on them and I am confident that these too shall pass. They, like most of the BMW dealers I know, are very knowledgeable and willing to work with me, more than the other brands' dealers. Lastly, I haven't figured out how to attach highway pegs yet without ruining the looks and leanability of the bike but rest assured, I will - and unlike BMW corporation, I do consider this to be essential for the long distance touring I sometimes like to do.

On the plus side, this is the greatest motorcycle I have ever ridden in 30 years and about a half-million miles of riding. You name me a bike, I can find issues with it unless it's perfect (haven't found any like that so far!). I have ridden many bikes and not one other can compare. I am an equipment engineer and my standards are very high. I suspect that is the type of person that is attracted to BMW's so when you look at this forum consider how many people rave about the bike's performance in spite of complaining. I think we talk about the issues to help us all resolve them instead of accepting them. This is basically a group help forum, not a complaint forum.

For the best long distance tourer, don't get this bike unless you are willing to sacrifice some comfort - get a Goldwing, an Ultra Classic, or a K1200LT. For a very good bike for the highway with amazing handling and performance in mountains and maneuverability in city traffic, get the K1200GT, it has no peer.
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2006, 1:17 am
Addict

Blackhorse17,

There's a poll on this website on the 7.0 software upgrade. It should give you some idea on the ratio of KGT owner's with problems vs. those that are not. Personally my 06 is running fine as delivered with just over 4000 miles. I would not let anything that you have read about discourage you from your purchase. The KGT is an absolutely fantastic machine and warranty was invented to take care of any problems that may occur.

Go for it. You seriously will not reget it.

John
06 CGM KGT
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2006, 2:41 am

Don't mean to scare you. K1200GT is a fantastic bike. If BMW can fix this idling/throttle problem, GT will be the best bike there is!

The poll is only 7.0 software update for K1200s, K1200R and K1200GT. Not directly related to whether GT owner have stalling, high idle and RPM stay up and slowly come down problem. There are quite a few that have update but problems still exist. I don't think there is anyone that actually have these problems before and fix by 7.0 software update.

It took me a while to find out that I have these problems other than stalling, by the way, my bike hasn't stall for a long time (knock on wood). Please be aware that most of these problems start showing after/during a long miles ride... Riding non stop on the freeway for a long period of time, it hard to see that the problem is there... If you sense that the throttle is sensitive while on the freeway... you have the problem... Probably the high idle or the RPM stay up where you RPM it to and come down slowly... Next time, hold the clutch in and RPM up the engine, if your RPM stay up there for 1/2 second and come down slowly... Welcome to the club.

Can we have a poll to see how many of us (GTs) are having problem and how many are not? Regardless of what version of sofware? Or poll with 6.x with/without problem and 7.x with/without problem. I think there are quite a few of us that have problem. I think quite a few that might have problems but might not notice...

My bike works fine (fantastic actually) for the 200 miles trip 2 weeks ago, but during last weekend 300 miles trip; the problem started after 50 miles and on and off during the whole trip. I knew it because we were riding through twisty and the throttle is sluggish... RPM stay and come down slowly problem. When I close the throttle, bike still gasing forward... Make twisty really challenging.

So far, I don't think there is a solid fix for the GT problem. Some upgrade to 7.x and think the problems has gone away, some said not.

Last edited by LA-K12GT; Oct 26th, 2006 at 3:08 am.
post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2006, 6:43 am

I don't have any idling/throttle problems.
In fact my GT has been the most trouble free bike I have ever owned after riding for 30 + years.
Buy it !
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2006, 7:51 am
Noob

No problems here. Did take a bit to adjust to the throttle issue, but once adjusted all is well. Absolutely no regrets - great bike!
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2006, 8:02 am

You gotta realize that the internet is fraught with complaints and buyer beware information which most likely has no bearing on what real life is like. I'd venture to guess that the majority of GT owners are just walkiing around with massive smiles on their faces due to the fact that the bike is absolutely incredible.

The problems I have are operator error and the fact that the combination or work and illness are limiting my riding. Buy the bike you want and enjoy it. The software issues will work itself out - the last two year with my Land Rover LR3 was similar. I personally, didn't notice much of the original 2005 issues that "everyone" complained about but at the last service they applied the newest software and it's a completely different truck. I liked it before, I like it even more now.

I wouldn't miss out on a fantastic bike because a few people around the world are having a couple problems.
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2006, 8:34 am
Enthusiast

Only a very small percentage have real issues. MOST GT owners do NOT. No different than any other product. You should not miss this machine. Enjoy the ride!

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog !"

07 K1200 GT deep blue metallic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode