BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Hard to get to area on the windshield

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  LA-K12GT 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I was wondering how you guys clean the windshield area close to the "mounting bracket" on 06+ GT? I have medium size hand, I can't seem to reach in there and wipe of water/dust in that tiny area.

Thanks.

#2 ·
LA-K12GT said:
Hi All,

I was wondering how you guys clean the windshield area close to the "mounting bracket" on 06+ GT? I have medium size hand, I can't seem to reach in there and wipe of water/dust in that tiny area.

Thanks.
yes...
bad design feature
you can't clean that area without REMOVING the windshield
which is ridiculous, of course

#3 ·
ClearwaterBMW said:
yes...
bad design feature
you can't clean that area without REMOVING the windshield
which is ridiculous, of course
My friend got a R1200RT, really easy to clean the windshield. Wish GT is the same way...

#5 ·
Yeah, and to add to that frustration seems the love bugs love [ pun intended] to collect around the inside just in that area!!! I have a soft plastic handle off of I think it's called a swifter or some other goofy name that I wrap with a piece of microfiber and us Plexus. Still a PITA, but gets the job done.

#6 ·
jpalamaro said:
Yeah, and to add to that frustration seems the love bugs love [ pun intended] to collect around the inside just in that area!!! I have a soft plastic handle off of I think it's called a swifter or some other goofy name that I wrap with a piece of microfiber and us Plexus. Still a PITA, but gets the job done.
Dayem love bugs! We recently had a huge infusion of snout nose butterflies. So prevalent that the front end of the bike would change color with the guts. Hello cleaning the oil cooler.

#7 ·
I have a flat little brush for washing......

As far as dust and water I blow it out with a can of compressed air, like you can get at comp-usa or anyone who sells electronic crud, even wally-world. Not perfect but it prevents the water spots from forming.......

#8 ·
hazard said:
I have a flat little brush for washing......

As far as dust and water I blow it out with a can of compressed air, like you can get at comp-usa or anyone who sells electronic crud, even wally-world. Not perfect but it prevents the water spots from forming.......
How far do those cans of compressed air go? Say I wanted to blow water out of all the lower crevises, under the seat area, windshield, etc. How many washes would one can last for?

#9 ·
SKIZIKS said:
How far do those cans of compressed air go? Say I wanted to blow water out of all the lower crevises, under the seat area, windshield, etc. How many washes would one can last for?

My guess is about 3 or more washes maybe more if your doing lots of the nooks and crevices. I don't try to get all the water out just the big dropplets so waterspots don't form on the windshield. If I was just doing the windshield the can would last a long time. I'm sure if I was super anal I would go through a whole can just trying to get the whole bike dry..... BTW, if you have a compressor cheaper than the cans, I'm just lazy and I get that compressed air sutf from work all the time........

#11 ·
Compress air in the garage will be nice... I got too much stuff already... 3 bikes plus what not...

Compress air huh?... :D :D :D

#14 ·
billwilsonnow said:
I use my Cycle Dry air blower...works great and only $39.
I need one of these for my Softail Deuce... :)

#16 ·
jpalamaro said:
I used to have a Harley. Spent more time keeping chrome polished than riding. But you know that already!FLHR, full dress, radical paint white on white ghost flames. A beauty. Started polishing on Monday to be ready for the weekend.
Yeah, you are right... :p

The Harley used to be sportless... Now, kind of bad... :eek: Still looks good if you stand 10 feet away... :p Been very busy at work... Phone system dead after 18 years... Putting in a new nortel system and all...

Been paying more attention to the GT since I bought it 3 months ago... GT so much easier to clean...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.