Wouldn't It Be Nice . . . - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 9:20 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Wouldn't It Be Nice . . .

And after you read this if you know how it can be done [without dealer intervention], please let us know.

I know of people that are taking delivery of their '07 GT's and don't know what version of the software is loaded on their bikes.

Wouldn't it be nice (Microsoft, Garmin, etc.) to know if there was a drop down window/setting, etc. (e.g. Help, About blah, blah) that told you the version of software that was loaded on your bike?

A buddy of mine on the West coast took delivery of his '07 GT and the dealer is one that will not install new software (another problem, but not purpose of this thread). His bike, ostensibly running fine, but he's curious as to what version of software is loaded?

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:09 am
Veteran

As an owner of a high-tech car, it doesn't show you any information as to what software it's running on either. The only info you get is when a recall goes into effect and you get a card telling you to take it to the dealer. By then, it has been posted somewhere on the web (forum) as to the problem the car was having - if you didn't already experience it.

On the GT if there is no hookup for the owner to do a firmware upgrade, is it really necessary to know? If if you did know, what purpose would it serve other than a trip to the dealer to argue that you need version x.x.x installed now!

It would be nice to have the option to load your own firmware since it appears dealers don't like to mess around with their time. Garmin does it with their GPS units. Nokia is now getting around to it. Most computer manufacturers have done it for years. Why the auto/bike industry is waning is baffling since most upgrades improve the unit. It's just that the dealers don't want to become software loaders for free. Reloading Windows takes me days and I wouldn't want to pay BMW shop rates for someone else to do it.

I say give the GT owners their own MT1 units or software for maybe $50 and see how that goes!!!

..now that would be high-tech.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:29 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Question I take exception . . .

On the GT if there is no hookup for the owner to do a firmware upgrade, is it really necessary to know? If if you did know, what purpose would it serve other than a trip to the dealer to argue that you need version x.x.x installed now!

I take issue with the fact as to what I do and don't need to know on principle. Sadly, most of the time there's nothing I can do about it, but I can still take exception, right?

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 4:27 pm

I had actually given some thought to this myself. As a matter of fact, I made a post about a similar topic a few months ago.

As a software engineer, I feel that if I could get my hands on the hardware needed to hook up to this bike, that I could create some software that could read the information that is stored on the computer. This would be great for keeping records of the various data, or even checking for fault codes. I do not think it would be appropriate to be used for updating your own firmware though. I still think that should be done by a certified BMW tech - just in case.

So....

Does anyone out there have the necessary hardware and be willing to let me get mu hands on it for ~6 months?

Brian
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 5:58 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

If not now, but pretty soon, the riding season gonna shut down in WI so you will have lots of time to work on the software.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 6:44 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnblazer
As a software engineer, I feel that if I could get my hands on the hardware needed to hook up to this bike, that I could create some software that could read the information that is stored on the computer.
Brian
There's been a software engineer on the LT site that has taken a Motronic and labored on it for six months now without any love.

Stuff is pretty proprietary.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 1:04 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro

I take issue with the fact as to what I do and don't need to know on principle. Sadly, most of the time there's nothing I can do about it, but I can still take exception, right?

Good point, John. When we are not privileged to have all information about what we 'purchased', then we are merely leasing what we think we bought.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 12:34 pm

Smile ahhh but

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastjohnny
Good point, John. When we are not privileged to have all information about what we 'purchased', then we are merely leasing what we think we bought.
How true
There are two sides to this coin.As owner of a technological product, or any product for that matter, some parts of it are mqny times "proprietary". To disclose that proprietary portion of the product, compromises copywrite, or patent in many cases. Owners of that proprietary data are loathe to disclose it. Remember the bru ha ha over mcrosofts Windows code?? Still raging in some areas, especially in Europe.
Think also of a BMW dealership trying to debug a problem on your bike, after someone was dicking around with the code. Especially if the current owner of the bike has no knowledge of what was done to it. All code mods have to be done in a diciplined and documented way, so others than the author of the mod can debug problems wich invariably result, in areas usually tangentally related, but not obvious.
Just trying to keep perspective on this topic.

Rusty
06 GT
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 3:27 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Just wanted to know version...

Ok, this thread has taken on a new life. All I wanted was for the 'Computer Display' to show what version of the CIP(?) has been installed. I certainly don't think it's proprietary, nor do I wish to modify the proprietary software/firmware. This whole thread was provoked by a buddy of mine picking up a new GT and the dealer couldn't tell him what version: later told him it was shipped with 7.0.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 4:14 pm

I think a way for an owner to determine the version of the software currently in the bike is an excellent proposal. But as you noted the thread strayed from that quite a bit. I was merely adding 2c to the idea of opening up the software to modification by owners etc.

Rusty
06 GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode