Chasing our Software Tails - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 11:10 am Thread Starter
Addict

Chasing our Software Tails

Just had a thought (picture a small appliance bulb). We have all read to ad nauseam the problems with engine idle, stalling, bucking and abrupt acceleration. Most seem to be convinced that it's related to the ignition/fuel injection mapping (i.e., the computer software). As an old mechanic, I'm not convinced. I'm starting to believe that the actual problem is something else entirely such as an oxygen sensor or bad and/or intermittent ground or other electrical connection. It could even be some type of electromagnetic interference causing system fluctuations. All of which are going to be difficult if not impossible to duplicate by the service technician. However I'm confident that there is a BMW tech rep out there that will trip over the cause and solution. My suggestion to those having issues is to keep your cool, try to be patient BUT don't relent. Work with your BMW Service Department until your bike is fixed. There is one more thing to consider, by taking the high road and working with the BMW Service Department without losing control, you are creating a permanent record of the problem. This could become important down the road. This is a $21,000 state-of-the-art machine and BMW can't afford not to stand behind it.

My personal plea to this forum is to stop complaining here and start firing off letters to BMW with the same enthusiasm and passion, and as I said before, don't relent until you're satisfied that your bike is working as advertised.

No response necessary. I'll close the refrigerator door now.

John
06 CGM KGT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 11:30 am
Addict-oholic

Great post !

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 2:55 pm
Veteran

Glad you're back John! Once again you prove why we were disappointed when you dashed. (I did read your explaination/apology thread and again I agree with Doc.)

cheers John.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 7:36 pm
Noob

I am mostly a lurker but I have a 06 GT which I bought off E-bay first week of June with 275 miles on it, I bought from a 70 year old guy that wanted the latest greatest BMW and found it was too much bike for him. I flew out to Allentown PA bought the bike and drove it back home, St Paul MN. Stoped in Cleveland Ohio for the 600 mile check and got totally taken for that.
Drove home loving the bike except for the windnoise, shortly after bought a cee baileys +3+6 noise fixed
about 5000 miles found that ESA was not changing preload ( 1up,2up etc )
went to local dealer, they replaced rear shock on Warranty also installed 7.0 upgrade :wtf
The 7.0 upgrade did NOTHING to fix the issue of high idle
now have 9000+ miles on the stock Z6's by the way, and today on my 280 mile ride I noticed the high idle problem once again, THIS TIME after I had used the cruise control,
just wondering if any one else noticed if these are connected,
just something that popped into my head
This is an AWSOME bike except for the seat which I will fix with a Rocky Mayer this winter
both seats, as most my riding is with my best friend, my wife, on the back and hers needs fixing also
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 9:22 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Hello Nels! Welcome to the K-bike forum. Sorry to hear about the problems with your new KGT. Other than the obvious suggestion of getting your local dealer to help you sort out the problems here's a suggestion that seems to have helped others. Disconnect the battery for at least one hour (I'd give it several hours) to wipe out the memory on a chip in the computer. It seems that the new KGT has an intuitive memory that adapts to your driving style. After battery reconnection, ride the bike as you normally would and see if that helps. I don't have first hand knowledge on this but I would be interested in hearing from you if it helps.

Good luck and keep on lurking. This is a great website.

John
06 CGM KGT
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 9:31 pm

No, stop lurking and become an active member! I just got the 7.0 reboot and I'm quite pleased so far with the low speed operation and throttle response. I presume you've seen the seat posts (many of them; do a search), and you can spend a lot less than a Mayer to get satisfaction.
Cheers and welcome, Greg
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 9:36 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Hi Greg,

There's been so many stories good vs. bad on the 7.0 install would you mind sharing your experience? Before, during and after? Any issue for the dealer? Thank!

John
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 12:53 am
WMD

3000 miles and happy

Have had my GT for about 2 months and outside of the wind noise have found nothing to complain about. I will agree that the throttle is a little touchy off a transition - but nothing that is uncontrollable. A little planning in the corners (read gear selection) and the throttle is a non issue. For twitchy throttle and upsetting suspensions - go back to the Kawa 500/750 2 strokes, BSA Lightning, etc.

I expected top level performance sport touring wise out of this bike and it has not disappointed me. The little idiosyncrasies that do exist give the bike it's personality - which is another facet I look for.
Some of the other bikes - such as an ST100, Goldwing, and LT - to me are lacking in personality and are not appealing or pleasurable to ride. There is nothing wrong with these bikes they are just not "exciting".
Flame suit on :-)
Bill
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 11:47 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
My personal plea to this forum is to stop complaining here and start firing off letters to BMW with the same enthusiasm and passion, and as I said before, don't relent until you're satisfied that your bike is working as advertised.

No response necessary. I'll close the refrigerator door now.

John
06 CGM KGT
John, I am not certain if you kwow exactly what you are saying here. Remember my friend, your the guy posting the forum with posts like:

- "I am signing off the forum" as I had a bad day at the office because a collegue of mine gave a bad, what seemed to be favoring the competition rather than yours, presentation. Big freakin wiff!
- Or, there are now GT"S in Hawaii only Harley's post,
- Or, no electricity in the hotel, again, in Hawaii post...(although, I am glad there were no injuries...
- Or, "I am freaking out" because I just saw ;ics of the preliminary detail work of your BMW seat at the Corbin factory. Another, Big freaking wiff...

I am seeing a pattern here John, , you don't like the post you read so you pick up toys and want to go home and play. What a freaking baby! Last I looked this is a FORUM with some who want and better yet, need to exchange information. CRITICAL INFORMATION about CRITICAL ISSUES...You are right, the post about the seat discomfort, auto turn signals timeout, windshield, are just as a previous poster said...Trival...yet, most of these characterisitics regading the new GT give it character or individuality....I agree...

You want a bad day John? Let's look at another completely different perspective. Try experiencing the following and then post:

- Seeing your new GT torn competely down and determining the dealer has no clue as to why it's stalling!!!
- Or, exiting the freeway at a high rate of speed and having your bike lose complete power and your control goes in the shitter while looking frantically in the mirrors and praying there's not a cage behind you making the same high speed exisit!!!
- or, while entering a high speed turn experiencing COMPLETE ENGINE FAILURE, going down and damaging your new bike. This was a post from "The Pirate: a few weeks back regarding a KS going down as a result of stalling on the i-bmnw site.
Or, just simply paying $22K for a bike you can not depend on for a mere 200 mile trip!!!
Or, having your $22K dream machine in and out of the dealer service more times IN than you can remember and the only answer is: "we can't replicate it!"...

Please spare me your bad day at the office regarding the knuckle head presenter rant and I don't like the post I am reading so I'm leaving rant, and your Ward Cleaver suggestions to the Beaver of: not here on the forum...complain to the BMM dealer, take the high road suggestion, stay calm, the Dealer will work it out they have to post...Oh, thanks, Dad, I feel much better now for the talk...

I think you have drastically underestimate your audience and demographics John.
Most of us are seasoned, experienced, intelligent individuals, who have been successful in business and other lofty careers/professions. We know how to take the high road and obtain a win /win solution.

Now here's "my personal plea" John, let those of us POSTING on the forum related to critical issues that may just some day be life threatning to the rider and/or our passenger continue to exchange our ideas and maybe just maybe some one will post a postitive post, such as, " My dealer fixed my issue that is exactly identical to your very critical issue. Here's the steps taken." After all, from my experience here, we have some very good, technically assute, perhaps previous even mechanics and engineers that I love to exchange my issues with. Most have been very helpful.

It's not about "signing off the forum and never posting again"...It IS HOWEVER ABOUT EXCHANGING IDEAS OF COMMON INTEREST.

And, I thought your were an Aviator? Not someone I would want to fly with when the shit hits the fan and action needs to be taken. Rather than finding a solution and correcting the problem. You'd just sign off and punch out only to return again with out your copilot...

Just my Opinion..."Wally? Yes, Beavee? I do feel better, thanks"...

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog !"

07 K1200 GT deep blue metallic

Last edited by Razel; Oct 28th, 2006 at 12:34 pm. Reason: Fixed tags. Ducking behind the next wall...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 12:04 pm

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerDude
And, I thought your were an Aviator? Not someone I would want to fly with when the shit hits the fan and action needs to be taken.
Looks like we'll lose John----again. Great CMS, Dude.

Last edited by Razel; Oct 28th, 2006 at 12:35 pm. Reason: Tag fix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode