Electric shift - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 3:29 pm Thread Starter
Ivy

Thumbs up Electric shift

I own a 06 K1200GT and my wife owns a FJR1300. During Biketoberfest last week I had a chance to ride the FJR1300AE mode. That's the one with the electric shift. I thought I would not like it and would never buy one... Well it really works great. Shifts smooth and fast. Your choice if you want to use the foot shifter or the electric shift, still no clutch lever. A little more expensive and it is new so no one knows what problems they might have in the future, but I think it is a winner. This would be great for someone that has to ride in heavy trafic. NO CLUTCH. At idle with the gear in first it would just sit there, don't even have to have the brake on. But if you want to rev it up you would have to but it in "N"
I think this is in the future for a lot of bikes, even BMW might consider something they didn't invent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 3:36 pm

I read most reviews hate to make U turns with the FJR1300AE, not much control; just on or off. Accelation is a little slower than the same model with clutch. Other than that, most reviews were quite positive about it.

Personally I rather have clutch...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 7:01 pm
Strafist

Like every new inovation, ABS, sound systems, etc. there will be detractors. I just can't see riding a bike without a clutch. OOOPS! I detracted!

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 7:27 pm
Addict

Talking

The other day a couple suburban moms in their SUVs were blocking the road out to a local canyon. There 12 year old kids were biking and skating, and they gabbed for a minute while I waited behind. One then pulls forward a bit, then stops to talk to her kid, now 3 cars are waiting, I kind of wiggle around, punch it, feathering the clutch out a bit. Smoke pouring out from my rear tire, kids running scared , and a horrified look on the mothers face....

I'll keep my clutch......

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2006, 8:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard
I kind of wiggle around, punch it, feathering the clutch out a bit. Smoke pouring out from my rear tire, kids running scared , and a horrified look on the mothers face....

I'll keep my clutch......
If you were riding those clutchless bike, the kids will yell to their mom... "Mom, see that scooter goes!!!"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 5:34 am

Well I will be one of the first to buy the bike if it comes in electric shift. My cars are auto ,my truck is auto , I was the only person ever to race an automatic motocross bike in motocross and supercross (modified Husqvarna 430).
I like the idea of the bike doing the menial work such as clutch ,and as I have a bad left ankle (racing accident) I have trouble changing up with false neutrals all the time. I will be getting an electric shift kit for my bike which fits all road bikes ,so that I dont have the false neutral problems. I hope a factory unit comes out as an option.
I do agree with those who like the option of dropping the clutch when they are in a hurry though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode