Cruise Control quit and rebooted - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 5:50 pm Thread Starter
rjc

Cruise Control quit and rebooted

Today I tried to use my Cruise Control and it wouldn't work. I tried to get it to work many times during the ride, but nothing happened. The indicator light "SET" did not come on and it just wouldn't work. I assumed that this was happening to me because I had recently posted about how satisfied I am with this bike. I assumed that it served me right for flaunting my trouble free experience.

I stopped for gas and when back on the freeway I tested it again. It worked perfectly. I can only assume that the software rebooted when I turned the bike off and on at the gas station. It seems to be similar to Microsoft Windows, sometimes we may be able to solve some problems just by turning the bike off for a few minutes and then restarting it.

Since this was a problem with a solution I thought it was worth sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 8:43 pm
Looking for better limits...

Keep in mind there are three things that disable the cruise control. Well, four...throttle, clutch, rear brake, and front brake. If one is still active (most likely one of the brake controls) and hasn't fully returned to rest, the cruise won't activate. Unfortunately, when you're moving, you can't see that the brake light is on. But, if it happens again, lift the rear brake up a bit, try it, push the clutch/front brake levers out, and try it.

It's happened on my '03 GT from time to time, but the lever doesn't stay stuck, either. Just marginal, I'd say.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 9:16 pm Thread Starter
rjc

Ray,

That is really possible and helpful. I'll play with the brakes if it happens again.

RJC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 11:48 pm
Strafist

Also, did you use the sliding switch? Could have been a piece of crud or whatever got up under the contact. These switches are extremely cheap in build. I never shut mine off.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2006, 12:16 am

Some one else also suggested leaving the cruise contral slider on at all time... because it will break if you kept turning it on and off... It is really that cheaply made?

I normally don't use cruise control... Been using the one on GT quite a bit... Used it to control my speed... Been a very bad boy lately since I bought the GT, very bad... :p
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2006, 1:05 am Thread Starter
rjc

I used the sliding switch, but I'm pretty certain it was working OK, at least it was moving correctly. I rarely use the Cruise Control as I'm mostly riding twisty roads. When it wouldn't work I used the sliding switch several times and noticed how flimsy it is. I don't think that was the problem, but I would now spring for a better after-market switch if one was available. Thanks for the recommendation.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2006, 1:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc
I used the sliding switch, but I'm pretty certain it was working OK, at least it was moving correctly. I rarely use the Cruise Control as I'm mostly riding twisty roads. When it wouldn't work I used the sliding switch several times and noticed how flimsy it is. I don't think that was the problem, but I would now spring for a better after-market switch if one was available. Thanks for the recommendation.
Do this when the bike is not moving. Slide the cruise control switch to on, look at the switch itself; there should be a "RED" light up.

Once you get moving and set your speed, the yellow "SET" light up on the dash.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode