What BMW-NA said about the updates - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 6:08 pm Thread Starter

What BMW-NA said about the updates

I had the opportunity to listen in on a speaker phone conversation between a tech and the rep from BMW-NA. The guy actually seemed to know what he was talking about. He was a level II tech. God knows how many levels they had!

The abrupt throttle behavior just off of idle (bucking) was caused by the injector mapping of the on-board computer. Versions of the software prior to 7.0 were set to shut down (return to idle level) the injectors whenever the TPS sensor went to zero (throttle fully released.) This is of course what gives you engine braking. The abruptness of this transition of throttle position closed to just barely open (or visa - versa) is what caused the bucking. Version 7.0 of the software was set to shut the injectors down sequentially one at a time during this closing of the throttle and bring them back up one at a time if the throttle was barely opened again, relieving the bucking condition. They had some issues of run on however (bike failing to engine brake properly) on some units. They released 7.0.1 which changes the algorithm for the timing of injector shutdown (made the sequence faster.)

They have a theory that the bikes that are stalling may have any issue with the throttle slides shutting completely instead of going into the position for idle (bike starves of air.) They are trying to figure if this is an issue of the algorithms in the software or of the slides misinterpreting the supply voltage.

Lastly he asked about the high idle conditions. The NA tech asked if the TPS had been reset to see if that clears the problem. Reset requires the battery be disconnected for 10 minutes. After re-connect the key should be turned to the on position (do not start) and the self diagnostics allowed to complete. Then fully open and close the throttle 3 times. Shut the key off, wait for the 70 second time out for all to power down. Then start the bike and test it.

It seems they believe these problems are not directly related which is why some have some problems and not others.

Of course after all this my bike refused to take the update after 9 attempts. My local tech is good and has been doing BMW for 25 years, but he's not computer savvy. I'm waiting to here back on this, but I suspect he should have removed power to the bike at some point and given the computer a chance to reset. It would claim it took the update, then report the previous version. I'm going to pull the batter cable tonight just to see if it will load the update upon reboot. It seems this may be an issue that causes others who have had the 7.0 update to still have bucking problems, if my mechanic had not gone back and rechecked he would not have known the update didn't take. Maybe there's an advantage to having your tech insecure about computer stuff!

I hope this long winded posts help some. I do not guarantee the accuracy of any of this and will not give my mechanics name as evidently BMW doesn't like customers listening in on tech calls. It does sound like they are working on these issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 6:42 pm
JCW
contributor

Thanks! Very interesting info!
Bringing on and off injectors one at a time. Really un-f'ing-believable. This is why I keep this bike even with the problems.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 7:17 pm Thread Starter

I have only had the bucking problems which is easy to work around if you know about it. Just spend more time feathering the clutch during slow speed maneuvers. The stalling of course is another issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2006, 8:19 pm
Veteran

Very interesting indeed!

I may wait until next spring before I jump to whatever version is out there from 6.0. Seems there's still a lot of learnin' going on.

Personally, I like the heavy engine braking 6.0 offers in the canyons.

hmmm.....
One man's engine braking is another man's bucking bronco. :p
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2006, 12:28 am

Thanks for the info.

If they think it's hard to fix stalling, wait till they see my bike next week... :p
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2006, 12:33 am
Addict

Thanks. I'm keeping a copy of your information for future reference. Names changed to protect the innocent of course.

John
06 CGM KGT
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2006, 6:12 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcopro
I had the opportunity to listen in on a speaker phone conversation between a tech and the rep from BMW-NA. The guy actually seemed to know what he was talking about. He was a level II tech. God knows how many levels they had!

The abrupt throttle behavior just off of idle (bucking) was caused by the injector mapping of the on-board computer. Versions of the software prior to 7.0 were set to shut down (return to idle level) the injectors whenever the TPS sensor went to zero (throttle fully released.) This is of course what gives you engine braking. The abruptness of this transition of throttle position closed to just barely open (or visa - versa) is what caused the bucking. balance of post clipped
This also explains the rough/abrupt shifting. After reading this and reconsidering, even though I think I've learned "how" to ride around this issue, a V7 upgrade would really have an impact and is worth pursuing.

Thank you VERY much for this information.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2006, 7:47 am
Enthusiast

Bob, great info. thanks for the post. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog !"

07 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2006, 8:43 am

Quote:
Just spend more time feathering the clutch during slow speed maneuvers.
...which will probably lead to early clutch failure on a BMW.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2006, 9:34 am

Quote:
I have only had the bucking problems which is easy to work around if you know about it. Just spend more time feathering the clutch during slow speed maneuvers. The stalling of course is another issue.
My bucking issue is at higher RPMs, not slow maneuvers. I haven't found my GT to be any more difficult at slow maneuvers than most sportbikes I've owned. However, clutching isn't a lot of fun while going straight down the highway, just because I'm going down hill. Gear selection doesn't matter, it bucks at anything above 3k RPMS, on a 6-7% grade. Modulating the throttle while entering/exiting a turn isn't much fun either. Clutching won't fix the problem for some of us.

My GT has been at the dealers for a week, with no real plan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode