Tire replacement - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2006, 6:26 pm Thread Starter

Question Tire replacement

Hi All,

I have a buddy who just purchased a motorcycle shop in my neighborhood. He asked if I would consider purchasing a set of tires from him as he needs to buy $6500.00 worth of product to get free shipping from Parts Unlimited. He gave me a competative purchase price for a set of new Z6's.

Here is the problem. I want to have my friend also install the tires for me at a significant savings from the dealer. My dealer will not install tires not purchased from them and any damage done to the ABS (clips, wiring, etc,) by an outside entity will void the warranty on the ABS system.

Any advice would be appreciated!! The obvious answer is to get the tires from the dealer at a much higher expense.

I know, I paid $22K for the bike, I should just suck it up.

Pete D.
Simi Valley, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2006, 6:29 pm

call other dealers

call around to other dealers and ask them same question - not all dealers are jerks.

IMHO
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2006, 8:59 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdamski
...My dealer will not install tires not purchased from them and any damage done to the ABS (clips, wiring, etc,) by an outside entity will void the warranty on the ABS system....
Dunno if they can hold you to that one, unless an outside entity is a rat chewing on the wires. Sounds like a good one though. Like changing your own oil will void the engine warranty.

I'm curious as to which of the two dealers in your area told you that? The little shop or the bigger one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2006, 9:06 pm Thread Starter

I won't specify the dealer because I have a good relationship with them. I will say that there are two separate documents in the service writer's area (hint), one is a sign that says that "due to insurance we can only install tires which we sell" and the other is a letter from the GM about the ABS warranty issues.

Pete D.
Simi Valley, CA
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2006, 9:18 pm

Total BS. Change them yourself or have your alternative dealer do it. Unless they're a total dufus, you'd have to try do damage the abs, or anything else, changing a tire.
Greg
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2006, 5:42 am
Strafist

That sound you hear is them folks trying to suck every sheckel out of every poor shmuck's wallet as he walks by the service department. Hey, I don't blame them. Tough world being a BMW dealer.

My dealer started admonishing me the day I ordered the bike about being sure to let them install the farkles, Canbus and all. He particularly harped on not cutting any wires. This went on for the 30 years it took to get the bike. I went home and took it apart as I've already maxed out my charity giving for the year.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode