06 GT 7,500 mile report - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2006, 8:02 pm Thread Starter

Smile 06 GT 7,500 mile report

My 06 K1200GT turned 7,500 miles today. In July I traded my 04 K1200RS for it. I didn't get to ride it much until September. In October I took a 2600 mile trip. From Wichita Kansas to visit my Son in Midland Texas then to Scottsdale Arizona to visit my Daughter. Half interstate half two lane. Other than that all my rides had been day trips or local driving.

Gas mileage ranges between a low of 40 mpg to a high of 53 mpg. I could set the cruise a little over the limit of the posted 80 mph and still get 45 mpg on the interstates of West Texas.
I like the range of the big 6.3 gallon tank!

The stock seat works for me. Twelve hour days were comfortable. I ran out of daylight before my ass wore out! I could use a peg lowering kit as my knees get cramped after several hours. I wish I could move the bars about two inches foreward.

I bucked the trend for larger windshields and installed a Cee Bailey shorter (2 inches), stock width dark grey shield.
I am 6-3 with a 36 inseam. My 06 GT came with the "tall BMW Windshield". It is quiet behind it but being a RS rider for over 400,000 miles I wanted something SHORTER and SPORTIER!!!!! The noise is about the same as stock with a little more buffeting. Note that I always wear ear plugs. If I want more protection I will buy a car.
Cee Bailey makes a very high quality product. It takes less than a minute to change a shield. It is slightly thicker and much stronger. I cannot imagine the windshield mounts being able to stand up to the extra loads from an extra large shield.

I replaced the Z6's with Avon 45/46 before my trip because I was afraid I would wear them out before I got home. The Avon's do work in the rain. The first day out (617 miles) I had 400 miles of rain.

The BMW bags do not leak.

ESA is worth the price.

Cruise control keeps me out of jail, also worth the price!

I LIKE BMW's servo brakes. I had them on my 02 and 04 K1200RS. I like BMW switchgear

I had the 6000 mile service done at Scottsdale BMW. I complained about throttle abruptness at slow speeds. They installed the software update for me under warranty! The version 7 fixed it and also made shifting much smoother! No side effects as others have reported. I highly recommend this dealership.

This bike is a keeper!

Norris Cooper
Wichita Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2006, 8:06 pm

Norris....
first class 7,500 mile update post
thanks for the effort
i'm thrilled that you love your bike
i only have 1/3 of those miles on my '07....
hope to "rectify" that situation soon

thanks again
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2006, 8:26 pm

Norris, thanks for the report. I'm still interested in the life of the Avon's.

Best,

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2006, 8:24 am

Yep Norris, sounds like we're riding the same bike. Mine will turn 12K this week, and I'm loving it more & more. At 6K, I replaced the B'Stones with Avons and absolutely love their performance both in the wet and twisties. The rear tire will need changed within the next 1K, but the front still has 3K left on it, at least.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode