foot pegs and windshield 06 KGT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2006, 8:41 am Thread Starter

Thumbs down foot pegs and windshield 06 KGT

I love the bike but on long rides my legs cramp up and I would love to have another place to put my feet. I had jpegs on my previous bike (RT). Any ideas?
I was also wondering about replacement shields that might offer more protection than the stock one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2006, 3:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iehrlich
I love the bike but on long rides my legs cramp up and I would love to have another place to put my feet. I had jpegs on my previous bike (RT). Any ideas?
I was also wondering about replacement shields that might offer more protection than the stock one.
Pirates Lair (if you in the US) have the German peg-droppers that give a position about 1" lower, and I certainly find them to be much better than the stock peg positions. I would also recommend their shift lever extention, since the peg-droppers do move the pegs out slightly as well. If you are in Europe, you can get the peg-droppers direct from MV Motorrad.

As for windscreens, I have just fitted a Cee Baileys +4+2 as even the tall BMW screen still caused buffeting at motorway speeds. The CB screen gives significant improvement over the stock screen(s). You may need a different size of screen depending on your height (I'm 5' 10"). There are several threads here regarding CB screens, so might be worth a look around the other posts first.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 1:35 pm

Red face Highway Pegs On A Sport-tourer?

Quote:
There's always the passenger pegs. Sounds to me like you should not have bought a true sport-tourer. You wanted a touring bike. I'm doing 600 to 800-mile days just fine sans "highway pegs".

Cee Baileys makes the best replacement shields, IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 6:32 pm

Quote:
What seat do you have? Try raising it to the high setting. I have some damage in my left knee that bothered the crap out of me on the old bike but doesn't pose any problems on the GT. The seat is also a bit more level on the higher setting (less tendency to move forward).

I would also recommend reading up on the "MYRP" Master Yoda's Riding Position - linky here. I find the GT very comfortable anyhow, but this MYRP helped ease my mind in preparation of getting the bike as well as provided some "permission" to move around and try some things since. Maybe it will help:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...0/fpart/1/vc/1

Something I am really enjoying about the GT is the riding position and how flexible it is. With your weight over your legs you have the capability to move around with a lot of stability. Flexing my toes down, "pressing" my legs, riding on the balls of my feet, being able to pretty much do the adventure rider stand up, etc. allows a long ride and "living" on the bike.

I also find that there is a lot of room on the seat and sliding forward or more rearward with the above leg exercises/positions - riding through a tank of gas is really easy. On my cruiser, with highway pegs, a backrest and an expensive Mustang touring saddle my legs would go to sleep, my knees would kill me, and my back would be rocking within the first 120 miles and I'd be pleading for to need a gas stop.

Highway pegs would be nice and I think they could bolt to the "hole" in the fair in a pretty decent location. I could see some benefit to having them on IBA rides

Hope the MYRP stuff helps.

Last edited by backpain; Nov 2nd, 2006 at 6:38 pm.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:40 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I went from the rt to this bike and find it more comfortable but for not having an alternate foot position for long rides. I have had "highway" pegs for all my bikes for this very reason including the RT. The seat was modified by Rick Mayer and its better than the stock seat.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 6:55 pm
Veteran

I have to give Kudos to BMW for the peg spot as it is.

I got big feet. Size 12.

I find I can drag my toes if I don't keep the balls of my feet on the pegs (stock position). This I discovered this while chasing a Honda ST up some rural canyon roads. Rather unsettling to shave your boot's toes.

If I were to lower them, I drag a whole bunch more foot in the canyons.

Fwiw.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode