Cee Baileys Windscreen cracked - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2006, 12:34 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Cee Baileys Windscreen cracked

Bought a +5" +2" screen in June this year for the GT and had it delivered here in the UK no problem.

However, during a quickish ride last week at say around three figures, a 2" crack appeared from the top lhs (as you sit on the bike) mounting, radiating inboard.

Spoke to Cee Baileys who offered me 30% off a new one but there didn't seem much point if the same thing was going to happen again.

I had assumed the screen had been designed to match the capabilities of the bike but talking to CB that is not the case. ''We go a lot slower here in the US than you do in Europe and we've had no problems with the GT screen."

They have had screens cracking on fast Jap bikes though apparently.

All in all I'm not impressed. Be warned

Simon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2006, 12:51 pm

Interesting. First ride today with my +4 +3 and notice that 1) it's not completely symmetrical and 2) depending on speed and winshield height there can be a lot of movement in the windshield. Has it up 110 and was playing with differing positions.

I think I like it for long weekends or the upcoming cross country I'm planning but I think the stock maybe go back on for boppin around locally. There is definately a HUGE difference in how much wind and wind noise with it on.

Maybe a Zero Gravity screen would do you better. They're mainly sport bike screens but look to be starting to offer screens for other rides.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2006, 2:16 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks, I'll look into Zero Gravity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2006, 2:48 pm

quite honestly, when you mix ANY windscreen that is MUCH larger than the one DESIGNED for the KGT with triple-digit speeds.... there is no way that you can expect it to hold up

because.... if it did..... then mounts will break... they just are NOT made for THAT kind of pressure
you really can't logically expect them to be

so.....
if you ride fast...... put the screen DOWN...... don't try to "block" the wind from hitting you with such a large "SAIL" in front of you.... or disaster and expense will result
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2006, 4:14 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Well I had a Secdem screen on my 1150 RT for four years and despite having gone faster from time to time than I was going the other day, I had no problems. It was similarly oversized.

My point is only really that I would have thought the screen should have been designed for the capabilities of the bike, not just the 80-85 or so that Cee Baileys told me it was good for.

They sell this stuff on being aircraft quality after all.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2006, 4:48 pm
Capn' Blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by simond
Well I had a Secdem screen on my 1150 RT for four years and despite having gone faster from time to time than I was going the other day, I had no problems. It was similarly oversized.

My point is only really that I would have thought the screen should have been designed for the capabilities of the bike, not just the 80-85 or so that Cee Baileys told me it was good for.

Good point, Simon.

So far no problems with my CB +3 +2 but I will be keeping an eye (or both) on it at triple digit speeds for sure.

I do get a really nasty hot spot of glare on the thing right at the upper curve when the sun is right behind me - almost like a starburst the entire width of the shield. I just adjust a bit and deal with it but so far that has been my only complaint (knock on plexi).

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2006, 4:52 pm

Strange. My +4+2 CB survived sustained speeds of over 110 MPH with frequent bursts to 135+ in the full up position. This was over a period of several days and 1500+ miles. The shield comes with no warning labels and if they were really concerned they would have them. After all this is the world's center for product liability issues.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2006, 6:16 pm
Addict

At all chance that the bolt near where it was cracked was not tightened down enough? Could it have been the first bolt you installed tightend was the one where the crack occured (I'm wondering about uniformly torqueing the bolts)? Were the holes not drilled aligned with the mounting points?

Also CB's argument is a touch lame. so if I was going 80 MPH into a 40 mph headwind, would the screen be expected to hold up? I would hope CB would have asked to have it shipped back to inspect? If there is a flaw in there design there are liabilty issues. IF they are shipping stuff to Germany and the autobahn in places has no limits, one would expect there product to hold up, or have a warning against excessive pressure/speed

I dunno, sounds like CB just want you to go away......

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2006, 6:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by simond

this is a horrible analogy
because..... when used for aircraft, the material is fully mounted in place with a frame all around it

on your bike it is held, essentially, by 2 splines, giving it a TON of room to FLEX and THIS is where the problem lies

there is NO parallel with any aircraft application whatsoever
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2006, 7:00 pm
Veteran

Fwiw, I had a Aeroflex on my old RT. It too cracked around the mounting holes. It may have been due to me using Locktite on the mounting screws which caused some chemical problem, or there was a burr in the drilling process which started the crack. They claimed to have moved to a laser drill to avoid the cracks due to the high-speed steel drill method. Dunno.

I just rode it until I sold it some 80K miles later.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode