Stock seat comfort - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 6:55 pm Thread Starter

Stock seat comfort

Today I finally threw my BMW Santiago pants on for our ride today and I must say that the stock seat was completely different. The riding pants 1) don't slide around on the seat 2) don't ride up and 3) don't cause the bunching, sweating or chafing my jeans or heavy chinos do. It was a very different seat and I am very happy to say I seriously have zero issues with the seat wearing those pants - I wouldn't replace it.

Curious what ya'll wear riding (those that don't like the seat). I was amazed at the difference a pair of pants makes :wtf ! I chose where I wanted my ass and that's where it stayed, and it was nice! No nut crushing, no odd boxer seam splitting the boys , etc.

I'll ATGATT all day long if it's more comfy! Plus, Scottie was looking really hot in her Santiago too - BMW does a nice job with the womens clothes/versions. Yummy, yummy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 7:19 pm
Strafist

For me, it's not the ATGATT that causes the problems with the seat, it's the pressure points. I've worn my mesh Olympia with shorts and jeans and my First Gear cold weather pants with the same conclusion: riding tank to tank causes pain. Though it's been better since I found the sweet spot with the handlebars.

My seats just got to Ron with Kontour and he'll be working his magic tamale. I overnighted them sucker's and instructed him to overnite them back. I wants to ride dammit!

I reckon one man's trash is another's treasure and the same goes for seats, bikes, whatever. All I know is it's being fixed, NOW! 36 years of riding and this is the first, truly painful seat. I used to scoff at folks when I heard them whimper like this. A mile in their boots, or butt as it may be, has taught me a leetle more tolerance. Or not.

Oops, 37 years of riding. I got my first bike when I was 13 and just turned 50 on Halloween.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 8:27 pm Thread Starter

Wasn't doubtin ya Grif. Just reporting my epiphany - my jury is still officially out on the seat until I survive my DC to Albuquerque SaddleSore/BunBurner attempt. I may be trying a Kontour then too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 12:15 pm

Beads as a temp solution Change the seat

I have put 7000 miles on this bike in 45 days. My only major complaint is the Seat and the screen. I took care of the screen and the seat goes off to Kon Tour on Monday.

A Temporary Solution is Beads and they do work. The are very cheap and i would definately put them on before you do a bun burner.

I am going to try a bun burner when i get my seat back. Ron is great to deal with and responds to emails very quickly. I never considered myself a distance ride because i couldn't get comftorable on my k1200rs. I can't stop riding this bike. I get on it and it just keeps going. Like the Entegizer battery.

If you do a search there is a great picture of a Kon Tour Seat on a GT.

Retroboy

Retroboy
2007 k1200 GT-Dark Graphite
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 1:31 pm
Enthusiast

My GT seat was SIGNIFICANTLY more comfortable with BMW Savanna pants and Heat Gear underneath, but it was still not something I could ride comfortably for 600 miles. I will agree that the BMW pants are more comfortable than my Olympia pants and much better than street clothes. Even with the better gear the seat still had pressure points that would end up feeling like a bruise after the second day. By the third and forth day of riding it was very uncomfortable, regardless of what I was wearing. With a custom seat from Rick Mayer the pain is gone. With 2 long days riding out to California to get the seat, I was very uncomfortable by the time Rick built my seat. On the two long days riding back, the pain from the prior two days began to subside and by the time I returned home I was pain free.

Click
here to become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com

Randy Prade,
Aurora, CO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode