New seats are on the way! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 9:25 pm Thread Starter
Strafist

New seats are on the way!

And I can't wait for them to get here. They'll be here early next week, as in Tuesday. This bike will be poifect then.

Ron teased me with a pic when he emailed me tonight. Vicious, I tell you! Down right mean hearted to take 6 days including shipping to do my seats and then tease me with a pic

Kontour rawks!!!

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 10:29 pm

With only one pic, I can't tell, but it looks like the same shape as the original, no wider and not dished out/shaped (but again, other pics needed).
So, tell us more and post pics when you get it.
Greg
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2006, 6:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC
With only one pic, I can't tell, but it looks like the same shape as the original, no wider and not dished out/shaped.
Greg
that is exactly what i was thinking
i'll be very interested to hear your comments upon their arrival, as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2006, 6:44 am

I'm pretty sure you're right(same shape). On the Kontour site it stat's that's their philosophy. Same shape, better foam. I've never owned one, so my opinion is meaningless<g> But, I think the BMW seat shape is wrong. I feel pressure points, that I don't think foam alone will fix. Yet Kontour constantly gets great reviews from their customers, so they seem to have something figured out.

Good luck, I hope it works, and please report after that first long ride.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2006, 8:42 am

Grif, Just make sure to point out the fact that Ron's seats are warm-weather climate seats. At least, that my opinion. These seats remain wet after a washing, or getting rained on. I just can't see how that would work in Ohio's climate at all. A guy I know that lives 15 minutes north of me told me that his KonTour seats stayed wet an entire day after an early morning rain. He has since replaced his KonTour seats.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2006, 9:06 am Thread Starter
Strafist

Ron is now using a waterproof barrier in the mix. When contacting Ron, be sure to tell him where you live. He's strongly advised folks not to use his seats due to the owner's location. Some folks have declined anyway.

BTW, I never had any problems with the Kontour seat, wet or otherwise, on the LT and mine were a beta's.

-=grif=-
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2006, 9:23 am
Veteran

Regarding the holes and rain, I had a velour Russell Day-Long saddle. I simply used their raincover when the seat would perchance get wet (like a bike wash). It worked well. Travelcade (?) has a raincover for the seat (off a Vulcan I believe) that fits well too. Elastic-edged and it fits the entire front and rear seat. Makes a nice packing smallish cover while traveling too. Cycle-Gear ordered mine for about $29.

As to what foam Kontour is using, I wonder if it is that Elasco-Visco foam (sp?). A guy I was speaking with at some roadrider's restaurant had a couple of Honda's with seats done by Rocky Mayer (as mine is). He said they were were bad and took them back for a re-do. They were still uncomfortable afterwards as well. He bought a slab of that Elasco-Visco (dunno the exact spelling of the stuff) foam online for $65 or so and put a 6" wide by 2" thick brick in the Mayer seat himself. Says it made all the difference in the world.

I may try it too.....
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2006, 6:01 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
As to what foam Kontour is using, I wonder if it is that Elasco-Visco foam (sp?). -
I may try it too.....
According to their website, they do use some sort of visco foam. They have a picture of it here.
kontour seat construction
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2006, 8:55 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM
According to their website, they do use some sort of visco foam. They have a picture of it here.
kontour seat construction
I see elsewhere on their site they do use some sort of visco foam.

Some things bother me though.

1. They do not accept credit cards as they say, "the credit card companies kill us with their fees." Maybe, but a least the consumer has a recourse should something go wrong. It's just a cost of doing business - unless they got into a problem with the card company in disputes.

2. No ride-ins? That doesn't seem to be a problem with either Mayer(s), Corbin, or Russell. They seem to encourage it. I believe one gets a better fit doing it that way. I know Russell and Mayer spent some time with me sliding around trying to get it just right.

3. Money must be "up front" before completion a week in advance. Their quote: "Full and final payment is due 7 days PRIOR to producing your custom seat. " I've had problems pre-paying contractors in the past. Some took the money and ran! Friend bought a mail-order Apple computer and then waited for the check to clear. It cleared alright. The company stalled everyone and took off into the night with the computers and cash.

4. Their warranty is suspicious. No money-back guarantee. Russell offers one on their site. Kontour says only a "minor adjustment" may be made. Plus, they need a Return Authorization Number else they kick it back to you.

5. Their prices are quite high for the materials involved. Very little sewing shown compared to others (Russell has a lot as well as Bill Mayer. Rocky M. less so.).

6. They claim other builders take only two hours against their 5 or 6 hours. Dunno, but I was at Russell from 8am to 4:30pm (except 1 hour lunch). Mayer was 8am to 1:30pm (1 hour lunch).

I'm skeptical, but I'm still curious as to the outcome.

Good luck and let us know how it feels.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2006, 11:15 pm Thread Starter
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
I see elsewhere on their site they do use some sort of visco foam.

Some things bother me though.

1. They do not accept credit cards as they say, "the credit card companies kill us with their fees." Maybe, but a least the consumer has a recourse should something go wrong. It's just a cost of doing business - unless they got into a problem with the card company in disputes.

2. No ride-ins? That doesn't seem to be a problem with either Mayer(s), Corbin, or Russell. They seem to encourage it. I believe one gets a better fit doing it that way. I know Russell and Mayer spent some time with me sliding around trying to get it just right.

3. Money must be "up front" before completion a week in advance. Their quote: "Full and final payment is due 7 days PRIOR to producing your custom seat. " I've had problems pre-paying contractors in the past. Some took the money and ran! Friend bought a mail-order Apple computer and then waited for the check to clear. It cleared alright. The company stalled everyone and took off into the night with the computers and cash.

4. Their warranty is suspicious. No money-back guarantee. Russell offers one on their site. Kontour says only a "minor adjustment" may be made. Plus, they need a Return Authorization Number else they kick it back to you.

5. Their prices are quite high for the materials involved. Very little sewing shown compared to others (Russell has a lot as well as Bill Mayer. Rocky M. less so.).

6. They claim other builders take only two hours against their 5 or 6 hours. Dunno, but I was at Russell from 8am to 4:30pm (except 1 hour lunch). Mayer was 8am to 1:30pm (1 hour lunch).

I'm skeptical, but I'm still curious as to the outcome.

Good luck and let us know how it feels.

All I can say is I've done business with Ron before and was quite happy. He did both rider's and pillion seats, bakup backrest and the pillion back pad on our LT.

I've stayed at Ron's house whilst passing thru Tucson, he and his wife are great folks. He is funny, smart and ethical.

I sent him a blank check and asked him to fill in the price for the GT seats because of my shipping wants. I'm either stoopid or trust him.

Your mileage may vary and I'm just one crazed and dazed Texan, so take it with a grain of your choice.

-=grif=-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode