GT stalling/idling problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2006, 2:05 am Thread Starter

GT stalling/idling problem

Hi All,

Took advice from others here in the forums. I arranged for another dealer to take a look at my 06 K1200GT stalling/idling problem. I left my 06 K1200 GT with dealer (long beach) this pass Monday (oct 30) and went on a cruise with my wife and friends to Mexico.

Came back this morning (Friday Nov 3) . I called the dealer immediately and find out how my baby GT is doing... I was disappointed with what the dealer has to tell me... They rode my bike for 9 miles and not able to replicate the problem... They did however found out my final drive is wobbling and waiting for replacement part/s, bike will not be ready for pickup until next Monday/Tuesday.

I talked to the service manager Bruce, he said that they can't really do anything unless they can actually see the problem.... BMW will not pay for the labor... He told me if I want, he will update my software to 7.x to see if it will fix anything... I thought about it and decided to go ahead and do that... He also told me that he will ride the bike longer once the final drive is fixed to see if the problem will show up. I told him to put as many miles as he want to diagnose the problem.

Hate to have the weekend without my GT...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2006, 6:59 am

Push them to ride it until they see the problem. How hard can it be to get someone to ride your GT for a week

Mine's been in the shop for the mid-RPM Bucking problem for nearly 2 weeks now. They were able to replicate the problem with a long ride(20+ miles). But, they still had no idea what's causing it. Computer didn't show anything, and I already had 7.0 installed. They're installing a new TPS, but it's just a guess. Hopefully I'll have it back early next week. But, last time the computer was reset, it ran great for 300+ miles. So, it'll be a while before I can call it fixed.

Good luck to you, and push them to ride it till it breaks.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2006, 8:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-K12GT
I feel your pain. But if it makes you feel any better...us northeast Ohio riders go for weeks at a time without being able to ride during the winter. And there's nothing wrong with our bikes either!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2006, 12:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC
Push them to ride it until they see the problem. How hard can it be to get someone to ride your GT for a week

Mine's been in the shop for the mid-RPM Bucking problem for nearly 2 weeks now. They were able to replicate the problem with a long ride(20+ miles). But, they still had no idea what's causing it. Computer didn't show anything, and I already had 7.0 installed. They're installing a new TPS, but it's just a guess. Hopefully I'll have it back early next week. But, last time the computer was reset, it ran great for 300+ miles. So, it'll be a while before I can call it fixed.

Good luck to you, and push them to ride it till it breaks.
I told them to put on as many miles as they want to diagnose the problem.

My bike's problem probably wouldn't show... Especially now that it is in dealer's hand, you know how that it... Everytime I took it to the dealer, the GT is running like a champ!

It happen when ever it feel like... Normally after a 100 plus, sometime 200 plus miles ride... Sometime it's perfect even after a 300 miles rides... You just never know... That make it very dangerous... always happen when you least expected....

Let's hope they will see it and fix it.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2006, 12:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I feel your pain. But if it makes you feel any better...us northeast Ohio riders go for weeks at a time without being able to ride during the winter. And there's nothing wrong with our bikes either!
Sorry for you guys in the snow country :p . In california, almost everyday is a good riding day...
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 2:05 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi All,

Took advice from others here in the forums. I arranged for another dealer to take a look at my 06 K1200GT stalling/idling problem. I left my 06 K1200 GT with dealer (long beach) this pass Monday (oct 30) and went on a cruise with my wife and friends to Mexico.

Came back this morning (Friday Nov 3) . I called the dealer immediately and find out how my baby GT is doing... I was disappointed with what the dealer has to tell me... They rode my bike for 9 miles and not able to replicate the problem... They did however found out my final drive is wobbling and waiting for replacement part/s, bike will not be ready for pickup until next Monday/Tuesday.

I talked to the service manager Bruce, he said that they can't really do anything unless they can actually see the problem.... BMW will not pay for the labor... He told me if I want, he will update my software to 7.x to see if it will fix anything... I thought about it and decided to go ahead and do that... He also told me that he will ride the bike longer once the final drive is fixed to see if the problem will show up. I told him to put as many miles as he want to diagnose the problem.

Talked to Bruce the service manager again this afternoon... Very nice and long talk... he said he did replace a crank sensor for one of the GTs and so far so good... He is going to do the same for my bike.

I will let anyone that is interested about this idling/stalling problems once I got my bike back and ride it for a couple of weeks...
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 7:13 am

Great. Hope it works.

And thanks for reminding me about the crank sensor. I forgot that one, when the dealer asked what others are saying on the net. Supposedly my new TPS was coming in Thursday, but they haven't called, so either it didn't make it, or they could still reproduce the problem. I'll have to follow up Tuesday(their next day open), and if it's not fixed, let them know about the crank sensor.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2006, 12:23 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC
Great. Hope it works.

And thanks for reminding me about the crank sensor. I forgot that one, when the dealer asked what others are saying on the net. Supposedly my new TPS was coming in Thursday, but they haven't called, so either it didn't make it, or they could still reproduce the problem. I'll have to follow up Tuesday(their next day open), and if it's not fixed, let them know about the crank sensor.
Found out the crank sensor should come in a couple of days... Final drive part is another story... They don't know when it will come in... Can't give me an estimate day either... Looks like it's going to be a while before I see my bike...

What are they doing on your bike? How long in the shop?

My friends and I were planning to ride down to mexico this coming weekend... I can go down there with my Harley, but rather do it on the GT...
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2006, 7:24 am

Quote:
What are they doing on your bike? How long in the shop?

That's a good question. Other than being able to reproduce the problem, and waiting on a new TPS, I don't know that they've done anything. It's been in 2 weeks this time. When I left it, I said I'd be leaving it until it's fixed. The bucking is sever enough, there is no joy in riding it. Rather be in a car

It's not the dealer I purchased it from, so I don't feel I'm in a position push them, too hard. They do seem to care, and are trying, but they have zero experience with the issue, and no real direction to head. When I call today, I'll once again mention they should get BMW involved. I don't think they've gone that route yet.

Too bad you're not getting yours back before your trip. But, it's great they found the drive issue in the shop. Would have sucked on the road. It really sucks you're stuck with an HD for the trip

For the first time in over 5 years, I trimmed down to just 2 bikes. My GT and an 07' Tuono. I left the T in OH for the winter, turned out to be a mistake. At least my wife's Big Ruckus & Z750s are here in FL. I've actually been putting miles on the Ruckus. It's great for trips to HomeDepot. If they put a 400+ in that thing I'd buy one for my self.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2006, 12:18 pm

I have about 3000 miles on my 2006 GT. I had the 7.0 update done at about 1000 miles and the bike has been flawless....until Saturday. I was doing a 200 mile run and all freeway. At about 160 miles I got into traffic and the usual stop and go in sunny Southern California. All of a sudden the bike started idling around 3000 rpm and the throttle was either on or off. no smooth transition that I have been use to. Since I was in the car pool lane I could not pull over so I had to live with it. Since it seemed that the computer did not know where my throttle was I suspected the TPS. So for shits and giggles I shifted into 6th gear and closed the throttle then opened it all the way 3 times to reset the throttle( 6th gear was my choice so I would not accelerate into the car ahead of me) after I did this the bike ran perfect again. No high idle, no snatchy throttle...a miracle. When I got home I disconnected the battery for 24 hours then reconnected and reset the TPS just to make sure. The bike is even better then when I had 7.0 installed. The ECU must be learning wrong info or loosing the TPS settings. All is good now. I know this is a stop-gap fix but it seems to work till they find the bug.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode