Adaptive Mapping - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2006, 12:02 pm Thread Starter

Question Adaptive Mapping

Hi All,

I took my 06 GT in for the 6K service a couple of weeks ago and had the stalling issue addressed at that time. The "fix," according to the dealer, was to erase the adaptive values that were stored in the computer. I have been busy and out of town since the service and have not put many miles on the bike since, so I have no idea if the problem is gone yet.

I have been trying to apply some logic to finding a solution and I have a thought. I wonder if the problems several of us are seeing are somehow related to the "adaptive" feature of the computer. I would like to know what exactly the adaptive function does. Perhaps the problems are related to the interaction between the CIP 7.0 software and the changes that the adaptive function produces.

Some members report that the bike ran fine after the software update for several hundred miles before acting up again. This leads me to the interaction that takes place in the computer.

Can anyone explain the Adaptive function to me?? Randy?? Jeff??

Pete D.
Simi Valley, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 7:24 am

I don't know the exact system, but most FI's behave in this manner:
- They have a built in base map. The map is just a table that tells the FI how long to leave the injectors open for a given throttle position, RPM, and sometimes gear selection.
- While running, the engine takes readings from the O2 sensor(and sometimes other sensors) to determine if the mixture is too lean or rich. It then makes adjustments to the base map, and stores those adjustments.
- Adjustments are made slowly, using some kind of fuzzy logic.
- It's constantly refining these adjustments. Weather conditions, altitude.... affect the mixture.

I'm not having the stalling problem but the bucking issue. Computer resets clear the problem up for a few hundred miles, so it feels like the problem is learned over time. The other thing about my GT's problem is it runs GREAT for the first 5 miles, every time. So the richer, cold engine, mixture is perfect. This makes me think it's possibly a bad sensor causing the learned mixture to be wrong, or maybe the software is wrong. You're problem could be similar.

But, hopefully the reset did fix yours. Anything is possible

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode