06 servo type brakes - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2006, 10:48 pm Thread Starter

06 servo type brakes

Well, I picked up near new 06 K1200GT w/ only 175mls at discount price I knew the 07's dont use servo(power style brakes), and am concerned if any additional problems I could encounter w/ 06 models using this type system. I'de wanted a 07 model, but I saved quite a bit on this 06 model, and looks and runs perfect w/ full 2.75 yr warrentee left.

Thanks;

Howie...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 12:51 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardrichman
Well, I picked up near new 06 K1200GT w/ only 175mls at discount price I knew the 07's dont use servo(power style brakes), and am concerned if any additional problems I could encounter w/ 06 models using this type system. I'de wanted a 07 model, but I saved quite a bit on this 06 model, and looks and runs perfect w/ full 2.75 yr warrentee left.
I haven't had any mechanical problems so far (knock on wood). I did buy the 7 year warranty though just in case since it is a fairly new beast. Another $1500 or so. Probably why it hasn't crashed so far (every time I buy some extended warranty policy the thing never faults. When I don't... )

It could go either way: Either the '06 servo fails, or new '07 traction control fails. Either could - no, make that will - be costly. Personally, I like the one-finger brakes and even the older version 6 firmware (engine braking is stronger and subsequent brake pad wear may be less with 6.0 than 7.0 firmware). I got nearly 80K miles on the original '96 RT pads (who needs brakes?). Doubt it will be as good on this thing.

Time will tell.

Enjoy the new ride.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 2:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardrichman

Thanks;

Howie...
Servo brake has been around for a while... I got it on my 06 GT and I love it... So far so good... knock on wood...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 7:10 am

Like above, the servo brakes are just fine, and have a good track record. Personally I'd prefer the non-servo's for the braking feel. If either of the two is going to have an issue I'd worry more about the 07' system, since it's new, and unproven. But, I'd bet both are unlikely to fail(expect for the rare case of course).
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 7:31 am

servo brakes

I have an 06 GT with the linked, servo system. I don't find it intrusive at all, and gives braking equivalent to any of the modern BMW bikes. One thing I do like a lot, is the linked braking. The benefit is when unloading my bike from my pickup, or trailer. Seems when the bike gets about half way down the ramp, having only the front brake lever to use, since both feet need to be on the ramps, the front wheel slides. It slides because all the weight is on the rear wheel. Result, going real fast backward, which is hard to control. I have tiopped over the bike, doing some damage to my oilhead.
With the 06 linked brakes, the lever also applies the rear brake. Result, no sliding backward down the ramp !!!!!!

Rusty 06 GT
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 7:41 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC
Like above, the servo brakes are just fine, and have a good track record. Personally I'd prefer the non-servo's for the braking feel. If either of the two is going to have an issue I'd worry more about the 07' system, since it's new, and unproven. But, I'd bet both are unlikely to fail(expect for the rare case of course).
The Continental Teves system isn't exactly new- they've been on cars for awhile.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 7:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
The Continental Teves system isn't exactly new- they've been on cars for awhile.
Cool, didn't know that.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 11:08 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLAPTRAPPER
One thing I do like a lot, is the linked braking. The benefit is when unloading my bike from my pickup, or trailer. Seems when the bike gets about half way down the ramp, having only the front brake lever to use, since both feet need to be on the ramps, the front wheel slides. It slides because all the weight is on the rear wheel. Result, going real fast backward, which is hard to control. I have tiopped over the bike, doing some damage to my oilhead.
With the 06 linked brakes, the lever also applies the rear brake. Result, no sliding backward down the ramp !!!!!!
I found just the opposite, my 06 KR with linked brakes was a PITA to get off the ramp. I straddle my bike on/off the ramp, and using the lined brakes was VERY jerky. Almost to the point that I thought the front wheel would pop up while coming down the ramp. I felt VERY UNSAFE. The second time I backed off the ramp, I did it with the ignition off so I could run the brakes independent of each other. It was 100% better without the servo assisted brakes.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 11:54 am

Exclamation servo brakes

You know, I think the difference of opinion about the linked brakes lies in the servo function. My servo function is not even noticeable, either in normal road braking or trailer off function. I know it is working, because I can hear it, if I apply the brakes while just sitting still.
Is there a variablility in the amount of servo assist applied? Is it programmable? Difference in servo units??
There seems to be a difference between bikes built early in the 06 build cycle and those built late in the 06 cycle. Mine was an early one. It was owned by BMWNA prior to my purchase with 1900 miles on the clock. Several problems cited on this site, seem to attest to that.
Dunno, but the servo assist on my bike is "gentle".

Rusty 06 GT
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 12:42 pm
Veteran

There may have been some servo changes.

The 2005 RT's really howled when you applied their brakes, almost like a siren. I barely notice the howl on the '06 GT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode