ESA questions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 8:09 am Thread Starter

ESA questions

When I took an 06 GT out for a test ride I was told the ESA could be adjusted on the fly. Yesterday I took delivery on an 07 (had to use a trailer to get her home) and last night was reading the manual. According to the manual the damping and the spiring load "cannot be adjusted while the motorcycle is being ridden". In addition, the damping according to the manual, is adjusted with the key on and the motorcycle NOT running, the spring adjustment is set with the bike running, I'm assuming while in neutral. This seems odd for this reason, does this mean if I'm running down a straight slab with a comfort setting and pull off into the twisites I have to shut the bike down, then turn the key on to put it in sport mode?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 8:17 am

Haven't ridden an 07', but that's not the case with the 06'. Both can be adjusted while the bike is running, but you can only adjust the dampening while on the move. You must be stopped to adjust pre-load.(one helmet, helmet-luggage, two-helmets). I switch from comfort, to normal, to sport without stopping. I forget a lot too, since ESA is new to me. It only take a couple of wobbly turns to realize you forgot to put it back in sport mode There's a very big difference in the settings.

Curious about the 07's. Hopefully the manual is wrong, because it would be a step backwards.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 8:17 am
I'm riding

No. You should not shut the bike down. You can choose between comfort and sport or normal on the move. But to choose "helmet/s and bags" you must stop.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 8:21 am
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC
It only take a couple of wobbly turns to realize you forgot to put it back in sport mode There's a very big difference in the settings.
Oh, come on! What kind of wobbling ar you talking about! Stop kidding at newbees, please.:-))

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 8:26 am Thread Starter

I hope you guys are right and the manual is wrong. The instructions for both the dampening and spring load start off with a little square and an arrow then the words "The damping cannot be adjusted while the motorcycle is being ridden". On the ride with the 06 I changed the damping setting on the road, at least the display said I did, but I didn't notice much if any difference, but, I was on a straight expressway at the time. I agree, if this is the case with the 07, it would be a step backward.

When it stops raining, I'll take her out try to change the damping on the fly.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 8:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
Oh, come on! What kind of wobbling ar you talking about! Stop kidding at newbees, please.:-))
No, I'm serious. If I forget it's in comfort mode when I hit some twisty roads, the first couple of turns I get a nice wallow and some pogo. I can't hold a line for crap. Normal or sport is just fine. Now, it's not so bad I loose control, or cross the double yellow, so don't read it that way. I'm just saying there's a huge difference when you're driving through a turn. Same is true when you switch to comfort mode on a rough road, a significant difference. I call it Buick mode
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 8:38 am
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC
No, I'm serious. If I forget it's in comfort mode when I hit some twisty roads, the first couple of turns I get a nice wallow and some pogo. I can't hold a line for crap. Normal or sport is just fine. Now, it's not so bad I loose control, or cross the double yellow, so don't read it that way. I'm just saying there's a huge difference when you're driving through a turn. Same is true when you switch to comfort mode on a rough road, a significant difference. I call it Buick mode
This is why I never use comfort mode. I tried it once and decided that it was not designed for our roads here. The normal rules. :-))

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 9:05 am

Re: Esa

on my '07 I can change the setting from comfort to normal to sport on the fly. I can only change the helmet, helmet+luggage, 2X helmets at a stop. If I remember correctly, I was able to change to helmet+luggage at a stop in first gear.

Hope this helps.

Rob
Arma KS

'73 Honda XL250 (my roots)
'91 R100GSPD ( grins)
'96 R11RS (swmbo)
'07 K12GT (big grins)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 9:11 am Thread Starter

[QUOTE=lostnks]on my '07 I can change the setting from comfort to normal to sport on the fly. I can only change the helmet, helmet+luggage, 2X helmets at a stop. If I remember correctly, I was able to change to helmet+luggage at a stop in first gear.

Hope this helps.

Rob, thanks, this is reassuring. I'll take that "while not riding" comment in the manual as a warning rather than it CAN'T be done. Now if this rain will just let up for a little bit.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 9:39 am
Addict

Blackhorse17, here is the deal: the preload, i.e. "single rider", "single rider with luggage", or "two-up", can only be set with the engine running and bike stationary. The dampening, i.e. "comfort", "normal", or "sport" can be set on the fly. This is how it works on my KS, on which I have over 18k miles. I have to assume that the KGT is identical in its operation.

It's not the speed that kills, it's the rate at which the speed diminishes...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode