Center stand and a hernia - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 12:59 pm Thread Starter

Center stand and a hernia

Dang :wtf the guy that gave me the rundown on the GT also showed me how to put it up on the center stand. It looked SO easy, as I type this, the GT is on it's side stand, I'm sweating and my arms are shaking. I put a rug with a rubber backing under the bike so the stand wouldn't slip, pushed the stand down with my right foot, held the left handle bar with my left hand, grabbed the handle on the back of the bike and pulled back and up, over and over and over. Then I got the bright idea to take the left panier off so I could stand a little closer, once again, repeat, over and over and over, I'm so glad it came with a side stand because that's what's holding it up now.
Whew, I'm tired...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 1:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhorse17
Dang :wtf the guy that gave me the rundown on the GT also showed me how to put it up on the center stand. It looked SO easy, as I type this, the GT is on it's side stand, I'm sweating and my arms are shaking. I put a rug with a rubber backing under the bike so the stand wouldn't slip, pushed the stand down with my right foot, held the left handle bar with my left hand, grabbed the handle on the back of the bike and pulled back and up, over and over and over. Then I got the bright idea to take the left panier off so I could stand a little closer, once again, repeat, over and over and over, I'm so glad it came with a side stand because that's what's holding it up now.
Whew, I'm tired...
It is tough to put this bike on the center stand. I stand next to the bike, grab the left grip with my left hand, grab the passenger rail with my right hand, and then proceed to put ALL of my weight on the center stand with my right foot. That is the trick. You have to STAND on the center stand with ALL your weight focused on your right foot (left foot should be in the air). Works every time.

I do pull in the clutch when I do this...not sure if this is necessary (not sure if the rear wheel needs to roll during the maneuver).

Mike

Last edited by mike5; Nov 5th, 2006 at 1:27 pm.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 1:29 pm

I also stand on the centerstand with my right foot and all my weight (200 lbs) and it still takes a good heave. This is my first BMW that was hard to get on it's centerstand, all my other went up no problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Wait till you try it with full luggage It's a pretty heavy bike. BMW should consider a slightly shorter center-stand in the future.

What Mike said works. In addition to pressing hard on the stand with your foot, also make sure you use momentum. Don't try to do it slow or gently. Just yank, and follow through, and it goes up.

Another thing that might help is raising the pre-load. Same effect as a shorter stand.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 1:39 pm

Did you try pressing your foot down just enough to feel both feet of the centerstand on the ground before attempting to lift the bike? Remember that the bike is leaning toward you on the side stand, so you'll actually have to lean it away from you to balance the bike on the centerstand.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 1:49 pm
Addict

That's an interesting observation re the center stand, as I think it is far easier than the superseded GT to use.
I certainly wouldn't attempt to pass any comment on the ability, technique etc of those having difficulty, as there is just too many variables, and the fact is, if you are having trouble, you are having trouble!
I'm 43, fit, and no major injuries to speak of, and have no issues with it.
For the size and weight of the bike, I feel (in my case), that the effort involved is appropriate.
Straighten the bike up, weight on the stand, rock the bike backwards, and up she comes.

Best wishes all.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 1:51 pm
Veteran

Go find some 4"x4" square of 3/4" thick plywood or whatever.

When you park, park the rear tire on top of the plywood.

It's a breeze after that as it will almost hoist itself onto the centerstand.

I agree with the above who said the centerstand is a bit too tall or long. I had a welder look at mine. After maybe cutting out the section above the horizontal piece, it would make the lift spring too long. Cutting beneath the horizontal piece would cause some problems with the foot-stomp section.

Back on the plywood for now.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 2:00 pm
Telepathetic

If your having this much fun getting it on the center stand, just wait til you try to get it off the stand. You might want to have a surface with some traction, otherwise the bike tends to slide and not come off the stand.

Putting your weight on the stand and simultaneously lifting up and back is what works for me. Once the bike starts to move, keep it going.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 2:26 pm

Center stand

One Thing To Keep In Mind::: On This Bike, The Center Stand Acts Like A Lever And The Fulcrum Is Where It Touches The Ground. It Needs Almost No Amount Of Lifting With Your Hands . Just Put All Of Your Weight On The Very End Of The Rear Part Of The Stand. Use The Passenger Handle Just To Keep From Falling Over. Really Ingenius That !!! The Part Of The Leaver From The Fulcrum To The Bike Is Only A Fraction Of The Lengty From The Fulcrum To The End Of The Stand You're Standing On. It Is Called Mechanical Advantage.
I'm 73 Years Old, 5'9" And Weigh 180. This Is The Easiest Bmw I Have Ever Gotten On The Center Stand. Once You Master The Technique, It Is Really Easy.

Rusty 06 Gt
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 2:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowflyn
If your having this much fun getting it on the center stand, just wait til you try to get it off the stand. You might want to have a surface with some traction, otherwise the bike tends to slide and not come off the stand.

YOU TOO!!!

The first time I tried to take the GT off the center stand, I about gave up. I kept scooting it forward on the concrete. Fact is, I pulled a muscle in my ribs trying. It's on the side stand currently.

Rob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode