CB antenna mount w/ J+M unit - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 6:36 pm Thread Starter

CB antenna mount w/ J+M unit

I'm in process to install the handlebar mount J+M CB/music amp which came off my Harley Road King; then ST1300. The mount will have to have a remote trigger cause of the GT's clamp placement. I've already contacted Sierra, and recieved part # along w/ a bmw part. My problem is where would I obtain and mount a 36"CB antenna on the GT? My wife rides with me on another bike, so we comunicate and amplify our MP-3 players. I used to use a GIVI top box and fabricated an box adapter w/ an antenna mount. worked OK but my SWR readings were high in spite of good grounding of bracket. I wish I hadn't gave that box/rack combo away w/ last bike(ST1300). I might have been able to use it w/ the GT, but I'de rather use the large top box BMW offers but still getting over the $800 price tag! Any help w/cb antenna mount will be appreciated. Also, Is it true there's an aux. connector under the seat near the battery I could use for low power acc.?
Also; Some accesories are listed as two models; Which years or differences are the K1200GT and the K1200GT2 ?? And do the differential, trans and motor use different lubes(different compartments)??
Thank you;
Howie...

Last edited by howardrichman; Nov 5th, 2006 at 7:09 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 12:26 am
Addict

Howard,

I hate the way my life makes me answer these kinds of things...

but stand by!!! I have the good set up, but no time right now to post!!!

I should be able to show you by Thursday!

Sorry for the delay!!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 9:34 am Thread Starter

That's all right; I think I've either got the CB bracket worked out using the license plate bracket or abouts but might be flimsey; or use a ST1300 CB bracket w a GIVI box mount combo. I've done that before. Let me know what you come out with.

Howie...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2006, 9:49 am

RE: Antenna mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniciaRT
Howard,

I hate the way my life makes me answer these kinds of things...

but stand by!!! I have the good set up, but no time right now to post!!!

I should be able to show you by Thursday!

Sorry for the delay!!!
Ok, I'm waiting

I installed a mount that I had in the garage from a project a while back. Without the trunk, it's a little wobbly.

Get that sorted, find a GPS mount that I like, find a tank bag and I'll be golden.

Best,
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2006, 2:52 pm Thread Starter

So far I've found two ways of mounting A CB antenna on the GT. One is to mount a GIVI adapter and a CB mount from Turbo City, but then you'de have to retro-fit it w/ a GIVI top box. The problem is the mount is way too high to be practical, and have to find a way to mount bracket to BMW's rack. The other way Is the best way is to make a licence plate bracket w/ an antenna bracket mounted to it, and should be sturdy enough not to break the plastic on fender. Havn't done it yet, but will reply when is done.

Howie...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2006, 5:17 pm
Addict

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardrichman
That's all right; I think I've either got the CB bracket worked out using the license plate bracket or abouts but might be flimsey; or use a ST1300 CB bracket w a GIVI box mount combo. I've done that before. Let me know what you come out with.

Howie...
Alright Howie!

Now I just typed a long explanation and when putting up attachments, I did something to make the whole text disappear! So now everyone will get an abbreviated version:

I used welding stock form the local Ace Hardware and the paint came from the as well. It actually came out pretty good for the finish.

The shims I had in my "junk" hardware drawer, so I cant' give a place to get them, but even washers will do. I also got the longer hardware at Ace.

Keep in mind the rear shim needs to be the "thickness of the mount" [b]thinner[b] than the two forward mounts. the rack is quite stable lifted, and even with the trunk off (rare in my case) you can't really tell it is raised. The mount is also "wind tunnel" tested to 160+ and solid as can be.

I used a trunk mount in the interest of time, and planned on one day drilling a large whole to do a NMO (or something similar) through mount, but I'm very pleased with this setup. I did use locktight on all the screws including the set screws in the antenna sections. DAMHIK about doing this!

I used a much thinner piece to make the template and get the bends right so I could do it "in situ" by hand. then I used a vice to bend the final thick stuff.

I tried to outline the bends in the rear close up and you can see the temporary tie wraps holding the rear section of the mount to the rack.

I'll try to answer any questions as I have forgotten what else I had originally said (see intro to post! )

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Web_Ant_Shims_II.JPG
Views:	599
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	3923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Web_Ant_Shims.JPG
Views:	586
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	3924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Web_Ant_Rear.JPG
Views:	593
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	3925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Web_Ant_Close_Bends.JPG
Views:	596
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	3926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Web_Ant_Case.JPG
Views:	603
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	3927  

Last edited by BeniciaRT; Nov 12th, 2006 at 5:23 pm. Reason: show pictures
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2006, 5:25 pm
Addict

Also this is the paint I used:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Web_Ant_pnt.JPG
Views:	572
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	3939  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2006, 5:33 pm
Addict

Now...

At least I got that to work!!! (The post that is!)

I brought the mount back at an angle to the left to clear the latch and key hole. It is easy to pop the trunk off and on with it offset like that. The only issue I have is a full size cover. I can't lay the antenna down out of the way to put a full size cover on the bike so I have to pull the antenna off. One of you I'm sure could improve on this set up. I might consider finding a way to go perpindicular across the back of the bike so it sticks out to the side. I'd have to see how far out it would be, because I can't add the the width of the bike for lane splitting. (It is great living in Ca.)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2006, 5:54 pm Thread Starter

Nice setup for antenna. I use a 36" adjustable firefly antenna. I wish It were'nt so long, but it gets the best SWR's. I'de like to mount it somewhat lower, side of top box to not be so obvious, esp. w/o bags. Your location is probally stronger. I'm trying to use an 1/4"aluminum and cut a licence plate ring w/ extrusions for mounting antenna base. The problem is I dont have top box yet to figure distance away. Big bucks. My wifes Road King uses a 2 hole licence plate mount and is quite low and works great, so I'm hoping lowering it doesn't matter.
Howie...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2006, 6:01 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardrichman
Nice setup for antenna. I use a 36" adjustable firefly antenna. I wish It were'nt so long, but it gets the best SWR's. I'de like to mount it somewhat lower, side of top box to not be so obvious, esp. w/o bags. Your location is probally stronger. I'm trying to use an 1/4"aluminum and cut a licence plate ring w/ extrusions for mounting antenna base. The problem is I dont have top box yet to figure distance away. Big bucks. My wifes Road King uses a 2 hole licence plate mount and is quite low and works great, so I'm hoping lowering it doesn't matter.
Howie...
Well make sure you share when you get that set up! I'm about 2 feet higher than what you are contemplating, so it may make a little difference, but it might not be that much that it would matter...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode