How much time to fix glitches? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 9:24 pm Thread Starter

How much time to fix glitches?

I am almost ready to trade in my oilhead for the new K1200GT, but the various throttle/fueling and other glitches concern me, so I am, reluctantly, holding off. All new bikes, especially one as complex as this, have glitches. What is the collective wisdom as to how long it will take BMW Motorrad to straighten (the major) things out? (I am not missing any riding time as my 10 year old oilhead has been flawless, but I would like to move up.) Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 10:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk28
I am almost ready to trade in my oilhead for the new K1200GT, but the various throttle/fueling and other glitches concern me, so I am, reluctantly, holding off. All new bikes, especially one as complex as this, have glitches. What is the collective wisdom as to how long it will take BMW Motorrad to straighten (the major) things out? (I am not missing any riding time as my 10 year old oilhead has been flawless, but I would like to move up.) Thanks.
These issues were mostly addressed with the current (7.0.1) software.

Buy the bike and don't worry.

Brian
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 10:22 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk28
What glitches? I have put 2k on my bike so far in 2 months, would be nearly 3k if I did not travel for buisness so much. The bike is so nice to drive, a few minor annoyances. SOmetimes forums like this bring about people looking for solutions to problems and it sometimes seems that everyone is having problems. I am a member of a ford diesel forum, and its very similar. Lots of people happy, but how often do the write about how things are good. BUt when there are problems lot of people come searching the internet.

So here is my problem. Last Sunday I went for a 260 mile ride. Down Lombard Street ("crookedest street in the world"). Then across the Golden gate bridge, then about 75 miles up the California Coast to Jenner. Then inland to the Sonoma County wine growing region. A late lunch in Glen Ellen, then back home. The problem, I was having such fun, I was 2 hours late for dinner.......

Not discounting those having problems, but lots of people are enjoying this bike......

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 10:59 pm
Veteran

The first shipment of GT's was about 450 (May '06). The second probably about the same (August/Sept.). Maybe 750 on the road now.

If some are having problems, they're probably here. Maybe 4-5 bad ones which dealers still struggle with.

Seems the percentages would be very low as to problematic GT bikes, maybe 1-2%. Unlike the surging RT's of a decade ago before the twin-sparkers. You should know of that fiasco.

You gotta ask yourself, "Do I feel lucky?"

"Well, do ya?"

Just buy the damn thing before your teethes fall out.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 11:11 pm

The issue in question is quickly remedied by just talking to the dealer if the problem exsist. You really can't go by old postings on a forum. Plus your missing the time you could be spending with your new GT.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 1:08 am

I would like to add that although my 06 GT has gone through a few "Growing Pains", I have absolutely no regrets about my purchase. I know that you have seen it here before but "This IS the best damn bike I have ever owned." I am coming off a 2002 LTC and still have a 1999 KRS. My poor KRS never gets ridden any more and I will be selling it soon. None of the problems that I have seen reported here have left anyone on the side of the road. Most issues are just minor inconveniences. This is more than I can say for any of the american iron I have owned in the past.

Have you taken a test ride on the GT yet? If not, then do it!! You will not want to wait too long after that because you will know what you are missing.

Hope this helps.

Pete D.
Simi Valley, CA
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 6:46 am
Addict-oholic

Not enough problems to worry about. I have one of the first batch produced. I purchased it in June. Other than a little fueling problem in 1st & 2nd gear, I have had no other problems. ver 7.0 fixed and my bike runs smooth and powerful.

The issues that are mostly talked about here are about modifications for seats, horns, lights, and ergos. I came off a 2002 KRS, for which I had made some modifications to lights, horn, handlebars & footpegs. No bike is perfect out of the box for each individual.

The new GT surpasses all. It is just plain fun !

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 7:00 am

I'm one of the ones with a fueling issue, that 7.x did not fix. It's a fairly early build 06'. It's currently in the middle of it's 3rd trip to the shop. I think this qualifies me for the following advice.

If you like the bike, buy it.

From reading this forum, and others, it's a rather small percentage of people with this type of problem. It just looks like we talk about it a lot, because it is a big deal to us, and we want it fixed. You can get a bad bike, from any brand/model, especially a new model. I'm confident enough in the GT that if BMW doesn't fix mine soon, I'll probably trade it in on a new one. I can't think of another bike that compares to the GT. Because lightning can't strike twice. Right?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 7:19 am

I purchased my GT in June 2006 and have just short of 11,300 miles on it. Absolutely a great bike but for the seat. Despite the seat, I have still ridden it to upstate NY, PA, VA, MY, and WVA and use it daily for commuting.

No real problems. I am not sure I understand the computer's calculation of distance remaining to empty. It changes too radically for me to rely on it (even when I am at stable riding conditions (e.g., on the interstate). Likewise, the computer's calculation of mpg is off by about 2 mpg.

Once again, the bike is highly reliable, I look for opportunities to ride it, and I trust it will work. I would buy it again.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 9:15 am

Hi,

I am one of those unlucky one

The bike is really great if BMW can fix my GT's stalling/idling problem. Currently my bike is in the shop for the second times, should be able to pick up sometime this week. Not sure if they fix my problems... Time will tell.

BTW, my bike's final drive also went bad (wobbling), I have a little over 3000 miles. According to dealer, the final drive wasn't install correctly, loose screws.

Good luck in your decision.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode