Sidestand change for 2007? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2006, 9:35 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Sidestand change for 2007?

I've been conversing phone and email with the friendly folks at Schneider's about the Fat Foot for the 2007 K1200GT.

http://www.schneidersinc.com/fat_foot.htm

They said that it seemed the 2007 sidestand was different from the 2006. I sent them photos and a tracing of the shape of my sidestand. They confirmed that the foot shape is different, but it should still work with their same Fat Foot sidestand foot enlarger, which requires drilling to mount on the sidestand. They also changed their instructions picture to demonstrate the new shape. I ordered the Fat Foot and am awaiting it's arrival.

My question is, how much did the sidestand change? I haven't been able to compare with a 2006 GT side by side yet. I'm attaching pictures to show both the 2007 foot shape and the sidestand part number. (7 677 058) At least I presume it is the part number.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k1200GT part Num.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	3828   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200GT Sidestand.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	3829   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200GT Sidestand Front.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	3830  

2007 K1200GT Deep Blue Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 4:53 am

don't buy their product
i have it... and several others have bought it as well

it is NOT a good product
no offense to them...
but THIS product is NOT worth it, at ANY price

wait for WUNDERLICH to make their's...
it'll be worth the wait

no offense intended.... the fatfoot was only $24.95 DELIVERED
but..... i wouldn't use any product that makes me DRILL HOLES IN THE SIDESTAND FOOT.... that is RIDICULOUS
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 6:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
don't buy their product
i have it... and several others have bought it as well

it is NOT a good product
no offense to them...
but THIS product is NOT worth it, at ANY price

wait for WUNDERLICH to make their's...
it'll be worth the wait

no offense intended.... the fatfoot was only $24.95 DELIVERED
but..... i wouldn't use any product that makes me DRILL HOLES IN THE SIDESTAND FOOT.... that is RIDICULOUS
Greg,

Thanks for the info. I was JUST about to pull the trigger and place an order with Schneiders. I had no idea that the fat foot didn't fit without modification.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 6:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5
Greg,

Thanks for the info. I was JUST about to pull the trigger and place an order with Schneiders. I had no idea that the fat foot didn't fit without modification.

Mike
for the record, the gentleman who answered the phone was VERY VERY NICE...
and so, i'm very sorry to have to be so negative about their product

wunderlich will have one soon
where the side stand foot will fit into a slot...
they make them right
it might be slightly more money...
but, it'll be worth it, i'm sure
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 10:47 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTach
I've been conversing phone and email with the friendly folks at Schneider's about the Fat Foot for the 2007 K1200GT.

http://www.schneidersinc.com/fat_foot.htm

They said that it seemed the 2007 sidestand was different from the 2006. I sent them photos and a tracing of the shape of my sidestand. They confirmed that the foot shape is different, but it should still work with their same Fat Foot sidestand foot enlarger, which requires drilling to mount on the sidestand. They also changed their instructions picture to demonstrate the new shape. I ordered the Fat Foot and am awaiting it's arrival.
If you are willing to ride that thing 150 miles to my house, I'll fix the sidestand for you.

I could either cut the old foot off with a plasma cutter and weld a new one on, or just weld a new 1/4" thick foot on the bottom of the old one, which I did for a friend of mine with a new RT. Either way, it probably wont take more than an hour. You would, of course, have to repaint the bottom part of the sidestand. Just bring the beer...lol
...james
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM
If you are willing to ride that thing 150 miles to my house, I'll fix the sidestand for you.

I could either cut the old foot off with a plasma cutter and weld a new one on, or just weld a new 1/4" thick foot on the bottom of the old one, which I did for a friend of mine with a new RT. Either way, it probably wont take more than an hour. You would, of course, have to repaint the bottom part of the sidestand. Just bring the beer...lol
...james
i wish i lived closer
a PLASMA CUTTER.....
oooooooo, that sounds fancy
at least the KGT's sidestand is too SHORT from the factory, so your method will make it even better
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:06 am

hmmmmm
as a pediatrician i have never seen one of these.....
but, now i want one badly

hmmmmmm
how much would one be?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:36 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
i wish i lived closer
a PLASMA CUTTER.....
oooooooo, that sounds fancy
at least the KGT's sidestand is too SHORT from the factory, so your method will make it even better
Adding a new foot to the old one, would make it 1/4" longer. If the old foot was cut off, it would be simple enough to add more material (weld) to the stand before a new foot is welded on and it could then be made as long as wanted. Once repainted, it would look like it came from the factory that way. Granted, lengthening the stand would take a little more time, as the weld would have to be ground flat befor the new foot was welded on, but it is certainly doable.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 12:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM
Adding a new foot to the old one, would make it 1/4" longer. If the old foot was cut off, it would be simple enough to add more material (weld) to the stand before a new foot is welded on and it could then be made as long as wanted. Once repainted, it would look like it came from the factory that way. Granted, lengthening the stand would take a little more time, as the weld would have to be ground flat befor the new foot was welded on, but it is certainly doable.
sounds great to me
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 12:34 pm
Veteran

The Wunderlich folks (BMW Santa Cruz) told me (at the national rally as I was trying the S/R version of their foot) that this stand was "forged", strongly implying there may be things you don't want to do with it?

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode