K1200GT vs R1200ST, per request - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 8:44 am Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 152
K1200GT vs R1200ST, per request

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC
I traded an R1200ST for my GT. I think you'll find they are significantly different bikes, mostly due to the engine. I like twins and 4's, and switch all the time. If I had to have just one, it would be a twin. Some people lean strongly in one direction. If you don't like 4's you won't like the GT. If you like 4's you'll love it.

Other things you'll notice: For me weather protection was up, for you it'll be down a bit. The K bike suspension has a better feel than the R's(the duo-leaver stuff). As competent as my ST felt, the GT feels better.

Get that test ride, but bring your checkbook
Any chance you could flesh out the differences you've found? I'm on an R12ST right now, but am here because I see a GT in my near future...

I use the ST for both commuting (1 up of course) and touring (always 2 up).

BitScribbler
'05 R12ST
Since these are the only 2 bikes BMW lists under sport-touring I figure it has some relevance.

Size: The GT looks and feels a bigger than the ST. You can feel the weight difference too, especially stopped. It doesn't take too long to get use to.

Engine: Pretty big difference, twin vs 4 thing. Naturally the GT is stronger on-top. Down low they are about the same, with a slight nod to the ST. Probably due to weight difference. As with all twins(for me) the ST makes you feel more in control of the power, especially pulling out of a turn. Probably because of all the feedback you get form a twin. Other than a little four cylinder buzz in the mid-range, the GT engine is like an electric motor. The GT is very smooth and strong. Also, the GT's engine is mounted correctly(crank perpendicular to the bike). None of that bike twisting when ham-fisted on the throttle

Handling: The ST changes direction quicker and easier. Shorter wheelbase, and less weight, so it's expected.
Both are very stable in a turn, and hold lines very well.
The ESA on the GT is a fantastic feature. Rides like a buick in the rough stuff(comfort mode), but sport mode tights things up nicely for the twisties.
The GT keeps the wheels better planted on rough turns. I don't know how much is ESA and how much is duo-leaver, but they are more planted. The ST was excellent, but the GT is a bit better.
Both have an excellent balance of handling, feel, and comfort.(as usual for BMW) A slight nod to the GT in all 3 categories.

Ergos: I'm 5'11" 190lbs.
I hated the stock seat on my ST, and the GT is about the same. I can ride my board stiff, flat bench on my 07' Tuono all day without a soar ass, but not the GT/ST. I went with the lower seat on the ST, not for the height but for the shape. The lower seat was flatter, and more supportive. I'm waiting for Corbin on the GT.
The GT is a bit more upright. The GT bars in the lower position are about like the ST in the upper position.
Leg bend is about the same on both. I think the ST was slightly more rear-set, but not much.
2-up, the GT has a longer seat, giving your passenger a bit more room. Not that my 5'2, 100lbs wife needed it<g>.

Weather protection: The GT is bigger across the front. It's great when it's cold, but it's a bit warmer on a hot day. Not bad, just not as cool as the ST.

Wind protection: I loved my ST, with stock screen. It had the smoothest airflow across my helmet I've ever had on a bike with a faring. Sure your up in the wind, but it's smooth, fairly quiet air. The GT is noisier, because all that air it's blocking has to go somewhere. Even with the taller screen, in the highest position I get a lot of wind hitting the top of my helmet. Ear plugs required even for short trips. I tried a taller, and shorter screen on the GT, and went back to BMW's taller screen.
My wife gets wind-slaps in the shoulder on the GT. She was more protected on the ST, perhaps because she was sitting a bit closer to me.

Crosswinds: The ST was the best I've ever owned. Stiff wind, or the wake from a Truck never budged the ST. The GT feels like it gets pushed around a lot in a stiff cross wind. It took a few rides to get use to, but then it was ignored.

Luggage: Same stuff on both bikes, but the GT can carry the larger top-case. I do like the little glove-box on the GT. Great place to store my GPS, ear-plugs, sunglasses....

Extras on my GT I didn't have on my ST:
-Power windscreen. Great feature.
- ESA: Great feature, especially for touring. I use it more than I thought.
- Heated seats: Great, especially cold mountain-top mornings.
- Cruise control: another feature I thought I wouldn't use much. Wrong, it's great.
JohnC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 9:08 am
Member
 
BitScribbler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Peak District, Derbyshire, England
Posts: 72
John,

Great write-up thanks. Exactly what I was wanting.

I'm very happy with the ST, as you obviously were. Your write-up pretty much confirms my impressions of the differences, and I'll now have to go and get that test ride.

It could be an expensive test ride, I fear. I think only the extra size and weight might put me off. I know I'm going to love the engine, and touring will be better due, as you say, to the ability to include the larger top box. I really like the wieldiness of the ST though.

BitScribbler
'05 R12ST
BitScribbler is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 10:09 am
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 102
Yep. John nailed the GT well. I'll add some two-up comments as that's a big part of my experience. I wouldn't do the bike justice if I didn't add my own crackwhore addicted adjectives to the power and smooth delivery of the GT though. In a word, <slapping the viens in my elbow> "GIVE IT TO ME! IT SO TASTY! MEEZA LIKE IT!" The GT makes you want to freebase it - for real.

Two Up - The ESA is freaking awesome the variabilty it provides to two up is fantastic. My wife is 5-7 and 130lbs, with the top case and heated seats she is very happy - she can't believe the room and literally doesn't know what to do with it (she wants be to make a grab strap for the front of the pillion). Two-up comfort on the ESA is like riding a roll of Charmin - so squeezably soft (squeezing the throttle that is). Lots of room, her needs bother her but NOT on the GT. My wife is amazed by how comfrotable the bike is even more so because between the LT, RT and GT she did NOT want the GT - to sport bike and she thought too uncomfortable. She's very happy and enjoys riding with me again (the Vic's were kicking her ass).

The bike, two-up with the luggage and a payload behaves only slightly different. Cornering is just as stable, I feel the two up impact more on the highway. That's proabably odd, but the bike with wieght feels more susceptable to cross winds, truck wakes etc. However, it's nothing like the cruiser was. Luggage/no luggage - it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Windscreen - I added a Cee Bailey +4 +3 which is nice because the ride is quiet and it's cold out so the wind/weather protection is much better than stock. However, the big screen reduces stability because of the lift it creates in a crosswind and a trucks wake (coming at you, passing you, and behind it). I also believe that, at speed, BMW has engineered a "supporting airflow" that improves the comfort of the riding position that you loses with the big screen.

I don't have any complaints, really. Memorizing the MYRP just gets me more comfy on the bike and I'm working with Scottie to adapt it to riding pillion because we're both digging the twisties. I've said this several times - the bike is worth every cent, I haven't been this satisfied with a purchase in forever.

Let the GT take you - she's a great lover.
backpain is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 10:34 am
Member
 
BitScribbler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Peak District, Derbyshire, England
Posts: 72
Here's an observation I'd like your comments on for two-up.

On the ST, and also some of the other smaller bikes, obviously the bike is shorter than the GT/RT, and to compensate the fact that the pillion pegs are closer to the rider pegs they are offset slightly outwards so they actually stick out further.

Now, I like to ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs (better control etc.), which is no problem on the ST two-up due to the offset pegs. On the GT/RT the pegs are in-line and on a test sit on the GT with SWMBO we found that she gave me the odd kick in the foot while wriggling around. (She's 5' 10" with "average" feet.)

I dare say we'd get used to it and work it out, but it does seem strange that the ST effectively gives her more foot room than the GT/RT.
BitScribbler is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:33 am
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Macedonia, Ohio, USA
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by backpain
Cornering is just as stable, I feel the two up impact more on the highway. That's proabably odd, but the bike with wieght feels more susceptable to cross winds, truck wakes etc. However, it's nothing like the cruiser was..
This may be due to the higher riding position for both the rider and especially the passenger. Your bodies acts like a large sail on a boat forcing the bike to move in different directions. I definitely noticed this while riding an RT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitScribbler
On the GT/RT the pegs are in-line and on a test sit on the GT with SWMBO we found that she gave me the odd kick in the foot while wriggling around. (She's 5' 10" with "average" feet.)
I dare say we'd get used to it and work it out, but it does seem strange that the ST effectively gives her more foot room than the GT/RT.
Which year GT were you sitting on? If I'm not mistaken, the passenger pegs were relocated a bit on the '07's.
Motorwerk is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:42 am
Member
 
BitScribbler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Peak District, Derbyshire, England
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorwerk
Which year GT were you sitting on? If I'm not mistaken, the passenger pegs were relocated a bit on the '07's.
Ah! '06 I believe.

Last edited by BitScribbler; Nov 6th, 2006 at 11:45 am. Reason: Fix quote
BitScribbler is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 12:00 pm
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitScribbler
Ah! '06 I believe.
I like to be on the balls of my feet on the pegs as well. On my 07, two-up I haven't noticed any clearance issues. I wear an 11 and the lil'lady wears a 7.5.

My only issue with my feet are the combat boots I ride with, the soles are so thick I have a hard time feeling the pedal and getting down shofts to engage. Trying to decide on a decent riding boot, but can't decide.
backpain is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 12:03 pm
I'm riding
 
easyman05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moscow, , Russia
Posts: 1,339
John,

Are there any vibs on ST?
TIA

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
easyman05 is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 12:38 pm Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
John,

Are there any vibs on ST?
TIA
Some, but nothing intrusive. There's also a shake at idle. Enough to making reading my small-screened GPS tough to read . Generally I prefer a twin vibe, to an inline buzz, so it was never an issue on the ST. Not that the GT's buzz is an issue either, but it's there, and different than a twin.
JohnC is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 12:43 pm Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 152
Foot room: without luggage they're both great. I(size 11.5) like to ride on the ball of my feet, as does the Wife (size 6.5). On both GT/ST, when the luggage is attached, she can no-longer ride on the balls, but has to use the middle of her foot. On rare occasion, when I move my feet around I brush her toes. But, she's never in the way of me riding the way I want to.
JohnC is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The First Ride.. K1200GT.. Goin' to da Dark Side! MarkMGT K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 17 Aug 18th, 2008 6:35 am
Next Gen K1200GT - Rumor Watch eljeffe K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 19 Nov 12th, 2007 10:17 pm
French Test of K1200GT eljeffe K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 12 Jun 17th, 2006 6:25 pm
MCN Review of the K1200GT eljeffe K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 0 Mar 27th, 2006 7:57 am
New K1200GT to debut in US at Long Beach IMS eljeffe K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 14 Nov 21st, 2005 12:39 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome