Harley to BMW - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 12:29 pm Thread Starter

Harley to BMW

When the quest started for a new bike, thought I'd trade my 05 Road Glide for a new 07 HD Wide Glide but made the mistake of just sitting on a GT, then a bigger mistake by taking one out on a test ride. Now I have an 07 blue GT sitting in my garage, dang the luck

Dealer is 170 miles down the road, all experiences with BMW Little Rock are positive. Took delivery last Sat. and they helped load it onto my trailer for the ride home.

Next day, much cooler and rain. Let the rain pass and rolled the new GT out with all of 6 miles and off we went down a still damp to wet road.

Fired up the new Nav. III system they installed, looks good to me, didn't do much but let it map out the ride. According to the GPS, my speedo is about 4 MPH fast, I don't consider that a problem.

Now, on a cool day like this, normally I would bundle up, heavy gloves, leathers from head to toe and my helmet. But, I just tossed on a leather bomber jacket, full gloves but not my heavy gauntlet type and my helmet. Took off, carefully, hit the bypass and was cruising about 65 MPH and realized I forgot to put down my visor. Now, that I think says something for the fairing and stock tall BMW shield. Blue jeans, not so much as a ripple from the wind. shoulders and sleeves, a little, but not much. Put the heat on the grips and seat, have to love that feature! I wound up riding until the sun went down. Further by twice then what I had planned.

The seat, I have a gun fighter type on my Deuce, quite hard, and a softer Mustang solo on my Road Glide, I prefer the seat on my Deuce for a long ride. The seat on the GT feels similar to my Deuce, I liked it, comfortable for me and I think I'lll probably keep it. Thought I might have trouble with that skimpy gear shift, NOT, decided for now, that the pegs and shifter are in the right place. The bars are all the way up, not bad, but I'll probably lower them. The dealer, I'm sure, set it up to keep the bike in my comfort zone coming off HD's

The motor, well, what can I say? I had no issues, no fueling problems, it just ran. The transmission, might be clunky compared to some other marks, but compared to my HD's I thought it shifted just fine, maybe better than fine. The only surprise for me was how close together 4th 5th and 6th seemed. Especially 5th to 6th. I'm probably one of the few that looked for a 7th, but, I'm not used to cruising at elevated rpm's, compared to my low rpm torquey HD's. I would give the nod to HD for off the line torque. Once rolling neither of my HD's (both 95", cammed, and one with headwork, high compression blah blah) have a passing gear like the GT. Smooth, very compared to my Deuce with the TCB motor, but the Glide is just as smooth IHMO.

I pulled off the road at one point and into a smallish parking lot, with some concern. I should not have been concerned, turning radius was smaller than the Deuce which also has a heavy feeling front end. Also, at low speed, I found the GT was easier to handle then the Road Glide, for me anyway.

Came back into town using a meandering and very curvey two lane. I was loafing, taking it very easy and when I glance down I was averaging a good 10MPH over what I do on the Glide, which I am used to. The GT inspires a confidence that the HD suspension just can't claim.

Paniers, I like the way they come off the bike, should be very good for long trips, just take them into the hotel, I love that, much better than the HD setup for that. But, for day to day, I like HD's. flip the top up, drop in small items and no worry. The GT opens like a suitcase, I can see small object getting caught between the two halves, also, difficult. to load up for say, a grocery run. To get around this, I've ordered one insert and one divider, I'll try a different approach to each side. Tried inserts with the HD, hated them, but for the BMW, I think they would be very use full.

Bells and whistles, if you are interested, the BMW has them in spades. But, I miss the factory CD and radio in the Road Glide. The Glide does have a good system. In addition, being an occasional cigar smoker and banned from the house, I sit out in the garage, flip on the tunes, put a removable backrest on the Mustang seat and use the Glide like an easy chair. Big plus here for the Glide and nada for the GT... I had to say something good here for the Glide.

Sound, well, if you want SOUND, the HD has that in spades as well. I run V&H on both of them. But, the GT, no complaint, in fact, I kind of like the break from HD's after market pipes. The GT reminds me of a well tuned sports car, so no complaints. But, given time, I might opt for a new can.

Now, a big plus for BMW, it runs good right out of the box Both my HD's were operated on before they ever rolled off the dealer's lot. A stock HD, IMHO, leaves a great deal to be desired. If anyone wants to argue that point, use the words HD tax, that pretty much sums things up.

I like both marks for different reasons. I'm vastly pleased with the GT. Looks good, don't have to add chrome, change the pipes, do a stage I or stage II and on the road, the GT is firmly planted and as I said earlier, is inspiring and a confidence builder. I would not recommend this bike for a novice rider. It's just too fast and it is heavy, but not bad if you compare it to my Road Glide. I found shoe horning the GT into the garage actually easier than either the Glide or Deuce, but the Deuce wins hands down for stops. It is very low stock and mine is even lower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 12:34 pm

welcome to the forum
and congrats on your GT... glad to hear the HD vs. BMW comparison
very well written

i had a softail classic many years ago and have always enjoyed HDs as well

i hope you will have many many years of happiness from your BMW...
please contribute often

more ride reports.... and PICTURES would be great

thanks for being here
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 12:45 pm Thread Starter

If the sun ever comes out again. I'll take some pictures, but, let's face it, the GT is a GT, just like all the rest... OK, well, maybe THIS one is special, I'll post some pictures. Had a good friend that rides a tweaked out Heritage ask me about chrome, I walked all around the GT and found a little chrome trim on the BMW badge, took a picture of that and sent it to him. Got all I need on the GT...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 12:51 pm

HD to BMW

"down the road to the dealer"

Yeah, how about that road!

I plan on playing in northern Arkansas/southern Missouri this Saturday. If you see a Cristal Grey GT give a wave.

Rob Lessen
Arma KS

'07 K12GT
'96 R11RS
'91 R100GSPD
'73 Honda XL250
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 12:58 pm Thread Starter

More than a wave, we'll have to compare notes.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 9:21 pm

Good post, Blackhorse. Coming off of a couple Victory cruisers myself and it's fun to see how you're experience from HD to the GT is similar. I've got new brakes and a new batter waiting to be done on the Victory Classic but I can't stop riding the GT long enough to do it.

127 miles to the dealer - isn't it great how on the beemer that's just a short little trip?

Echoing Greg, let's see some pics!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2006, 10:16 pm

Welcome,

I too am a Harley convert. I've had quite a few including a 103" screaming eagle bagger. I think your Harley loyalty is showing a little.(not a bad thing) When you get use to this GT
you won't even think about harley torque. This thing will just flat out blow any harley I have ever owned right off the pavement. Harleys are great for the market they're after but there is no comparison in performance or handling.

That just my opinion, I'm sure others think differently. Have fun!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2006, 5:18 am
Enthusiast

Talking

Switched from HD's to BMW's five years ago after 28 yrs.Now on an 03GT.Love the BMW's and wish I had switched years ago.Have never enjoyed ridding so much in my life.Ridding double the miles sence switching.I have had four HD riddin friends switch also sence i switched and only one of them still owns a HD.

Some ridders don't like tank bags but you could get you a tank bag for your smaller items.Don't have to get into you bags so often,I use mine all the time.

I know you will love your new GT but keep us posted on your thoughts.Congradulations on the new bike.

One more thing,consider a radar detector,I know I waited to long to get mine if you know what I mean.

Enjoying The Ride. Eddie Layton
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2006, 10:30 pm
Just saying hey

Another HD Convert.

I rode a 2000 Softail Duece and then made the mistake of riding an R1200 GS, which I recently traded on a GT. There is no comparison, the Harley was fun and loud, but the GS and GT blow it way. My Duece is for sale.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2006, 7:40 pm

Wow; Sort of where I'm comming from. I had a 01 Road King since new, and in time only complaint was the suspension. NO TRAVEL! It didn't seem to bother me till a few years ago; and The pot holes got to me. One time I ran over a small road crater which cracked my tailbone, and others i've felt for a week. I didn't waste money w/ progressive shocks, or puffy seat cause no matter what I do ,It's the design of the bikes cruiser suspension. I bought an Honda ST 1300, and was thrilled w/ the performance, handling and suspension; but the heat that bike put out was near painfull over 75deg. Instead of dumping money into a bad design, I really didn't want to ride a Goldwing or BMW LT; too much bike. I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy another Sports tourer, cause of getting used to the Lean forward Lean position, but I demo'd a K1200GT and bought it. The ride was better than the ST and in comparison to the 06 Yamy FJR, No heat on legs w/ the BMW GT. More comfortable, but the seat is killing me after a couple of hours on the 06 GT. Love this bikes performance and handling, but still trying to get used to the forward lean riding position. I'll have to install a sort of bar riser, and/or DEFENETLY a reworked or different seat to be a keeper for more comfort. I cant believe I'de have to ride a barge in order to have a comfortable solo ride.

Howie...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode