Bambi caused laydown - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2006, 5:11 pm Thread Starter
Addict-oholic

Angry Bambi caused laydown

Came over a hill, big truck coming the other way, and of course the deer jumps out in front and just misses being hit by the truck. Now, the deer was square in my path. I had braked down, but in order to miss the deer, I swerved to the right and went off the asphalt onto the dirt shoulder at 20 mph or so.(Couldn't go left as the truck was opposite me in the other lane!)

I did a quick swerve to the left, to get back on the road, but the bike had started to wobble . I saw the deer's eyes, so I just lay down the bike on its left side and got off before it hit the dirt.

I picked myself up and walked over to the bike that was now mostly off the pavement in the dirt. The truck was now out of sight. A passing driver stopped and gave me a hand picking up the bike. It started up immediately OK and all systems were working.

Most of the tupperware on the left front and left side case took a beating. The side case did come off when it hit the ground/dirt and has only light scratches. I was able to remount it. The left front side panel, leg panel and left edge of the outside of the fairing look real bad. The left motolight mounted on the caliper popped out of its fitting. The left side mirror is scuffed on the edge. The passenger grab rail is quite worn down where the bike slid. Not a scratch on the windshield. The edge never touched the ground. A slight scratch of the rubber part of the footpeg.

I got hardly a scrape. My leather jacket is torn on the elbow The pants have a very slight tear and I have a slight bruise on my hip.

I always wear all my gear all the time.

I got quite shook up,. I was 120 miles from home. I got back on the bike and drove 90 miles (most of the way home) and dropped the bike off at Cliff's BMW in Danbury, CT . The bike ran perfectly all the way and everything worked as normal.

The bike took a hard one, but will back in action along with me very soon.

Oh, the deer got away without a scratch !

Motto ! ATGATT

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2006, 5:14 pm

Larry,

first of all, i'm SO sorry that you had this experience...
i'll dispense with the "i'm happy it wasn't worse."

as my favorite saying goes, "if money can fix it, it ain't broke!"

good luck with the repairs
ATGATT for me as well.... it's the ONLY way

thanks for the thread
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2006, 5:48 pm

Damn deer! It's hunt'n season here in WI and will be in one form or another for the next 60 days or so.

I will exact your revenge!

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2006, 6:13 pm
Addict

Larry,

I'm very glad to hear that you're ok.

And to help you get revenge, I'm having vinison for dinner.

Sincerely,

John
06 CGM KGT
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2006, 6:24 pm
Capn' Blowhard

Wow! So glad to hear that you're relatively unhurt...it's a real testament to the nature of these bikes that you were able to ride home after a 20mph lowside like that (and a great remidner to gear up like you said at all times).

Remember to take plenty of Vitamin A (Advil) or Vitamin B (Buffrin) if you have it, and wash it down with some Vitamin G (473cc Guinness!)

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2006, 8:33 pm

Larry,

Sorry to hear about your accident. Bike can be fixed or replaced, I am glad you are okay.

A buddy of mine pass away recently... He is an excellent rider... He was riding too close to the curb, his saddlebag rub against the curb... He turn around to the right and lean out a little mored and try to look down on the rear wheel/saddlebag... His head hit a solid light pole and he pass away instantly... He wasn't going very fast either... This happen 4 months ago.

Any idea when your bike will be ready?

Last edited by LA-K12GT; Nov 7th, 2006 at 8:40 pm.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2006, 8:37 pm
Addict

I'm leaving thursday to try to thin the Bambi population down,I will dedicate the first one to you!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2006, 5:59 am
Strafist

Dayem horned rats! They're like fleas on the back of mongrel dog around here. It's not unusual to see see at least, AT LEAST, two dead on the side of the road around here every morning. That means at least two bunged up vehicles every night of the year. And then, you get folks that move out here, think they're cute, and feed them.

The law protects these horned rats. I'd like to see a couple of days of completely open season on them to the point where it is legal to drop them anywhere you see them. I understand field of fire, mayhaps crossbows or bow and arrows in the developed area. Just ridiculous.

A boon to the body shops, but downright lethal to us.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2006, 7:07 am
Addict

The deer are thick as fleas here also! I live in a rural area and we also have to be on the lookout for cattle and goats/sheep. I try to be especially cautious late in the evening or early in the morning when they are on the move, and I won't ride in this area at night unless absolutely necessary.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2006, 7:30 am

Larry, did he look anything like this? Bambi, it's what's for dinner tonight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode