Well I took the short test ride and here's the results:
- The engine was smooth and linear but I would not say it's scarry as some have mentioned. Although it is suprising how quickly it's up to speed without realizing it. And it's deceptive about how fast you are actually moving compared to how it feels. No wonder you guys are such big contributors to your local government.
- The seat, it sucks big time. Hits me right under the thighs in the wrong way. I've never been a big complainer with seats but this one needs a re-design badly. It's so narrow front-to-back that there is no way to readjust yourself for comfort. Sat on another GT with the low seat and it felt a bit better - seemed flatter.
- Handling was surprisingly easy. The top-heavy feeling really is not an issue while moving and was easy to get used to stopped as well. It's is a bit more reluctant to turn-in in comparison to the RT probably because of the wheelbase difference but not an issue. It does hold a line well.
- Shifting is much different from the boxers. 95% of the clutch throw is useless, they should probably just shorten it. I had trouble down-shifting, kept pressing down but nothing. I think it's just technique and being used to the boxer tranny. You need take your foot completely off the shifter with each down stroke.
- What surprised me most was how noisy it was. The engine is very loud and with the standard windscreen I could not find a quiet spot anywhere at any speed. I normally wear earplugs but left them out to hear the engine and such but had to stop to put them back in at it was still very loud. I think it may have something to do with shape of the fairing or something. Even doing triple digits on the RT it was not this loud. Wondered if you guys had the same opinion.
It's still up for debate on a Spring purchase - I need to get the SO on it to gauge her opinion but mostly to get another ride. That's if the weather cooperates.
Joe, it's looking less and less likely due to the elements but you never know. There's still salt on some of the roads around here from last weeks snow!