Replacing Side Panel - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2006, 10:00 am Thread Starter

Replacing Side Panel

I am thinking about replacing my right side-panel. It is a little scratched up by a drop. Does anybody know how it works in terms of the "glove box." Is the glove box part of the new side panel. How can I get the lock to be the same as my main key?

BTW, I got quoted $595 for a new panel (painted). Still shopping around. May try Chicago BMW.

Thanks.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2006, 11:41 am
Telepathetic

I would check out some of the local body/paint shops in town first. Your damaged panel might be saved with some sanding and fresh paint. I have done this a couple of times with my daughters Honda.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2006, 3:12 pm
Noob

The glove box is part of the side panel; however, the lock can be removed and installed in the new panel. Personally, I would go for the paint repair job unless the scratches are really bad

Lynn Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2006, 5:48 pm
The Gov

Have it cleaned up and repainted. I did the same thing, the paint shop wanted about $150 less than than a new one and they did a beautiful job. Talk to your dealer and get a referral to the paint shops they use or go talk to the Harley folks, lots of shops that do painting, and the color match using the new technology was awesome, or order the real Glasurit paint through Holt, I think it's now available.

PS - a big part of my cost was the paint matching process since there was none in country yet. Since they have a minimum batch when they match there was paint left over so I had them squirt my top case after I saw how well the side panel matched the rest of the bike.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode