Custom seat research - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2006, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

Custom seat research

On my Harley FL; I was satisfied w/ Corbin's stiffer solo saddle. Not sure how to feel on GT. I've kind of got it narrowed down to either a Rick Meyer or a Sargent driver only seat. Both I've heard are excellent. Looking at Sargent's site; I've noticed they are ofering aWorld Sport Performance seat scedulede for release in Spring of 07, or; Then they also offer a premium foam upgrade, i guess for your stock seat pan? Any knowledge of this or recomendation? I dont think I can ride the GT too much more w/o a seat upgrade. I guess I've got one boney butt!! ; and yes; I am constantly sliding into tank, putting too much pressure on arms trying to get used to lean forward lean position coming from cruiser.

Howie...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2006, 10:14 pm

You can do searches ...try "seat" or "aftermarket seat" for example (see search button above and slighty to the right). Also, check this out:

new seats...ahhhh

Cheers, Greg
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2006, 10:23 pm

As long as wer're on this thread again, any updates on how the different aftermarket seats compare with respect to the seat heaters working?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2006, 10:26 pm

Mine works fine, but it's a custom and he just put the original elements back onto the new foam, etc.
Greg
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2006, 7:24 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhunter
As long as wer're on this thread again, any updates on how the different aftermarket seats compare with respect to the seat heaters working?
I used my heater yesterday on the way to Houston with the Kontour seat. Left out it was 48 degrees with a stiff side wind that gusted to 25mph. I started on high and put it down to low as the chestnuts were roasting by an open fire. The GT seat heater seems to work better than the LT's ever did.

The control's on the GT are intuitive to me as I rode the LT for six years. But, I still have to search for the seat heater if it's dark. I also have to look to put the kick stand down, too.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2006, 8:05 am

Howie,

Greg gave you a great recommendation. I had Rich make the identical seat to Gregs'(with
his permission, of course), and it is a winner. The price of $250.00 plus $20 for next day return shipping is unheard of. Not to mention he recovers both rider & passenger so the bike looks right. I had your same issues, sliding, leaning, and a real sore butt. All gone.
His tailoring work is superb. No affiliation, just made the bike right for me.
Thanks again, Greg.

Phil
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2006, 10:17 am

controls at night and the SEAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I used my heater yesterday on the way to Houston with the Kontour seat. Left out it was 48 degrees with a stiff side wind that gusted to 25mph. I started on high and put it down to low as the chestnuts were roasting by an open fire. The GT seat heater seems to work better than the LT's ever did.

The control's on the GT are intuitive to me as I rode the LT for six years. But, I still have to search for the seat heater if it's dark. I also have to look to put the kick stand down, too.

I have rode this bike quite a bit at night. I don't know why BMW didn't use better lighting on the controls The computer button, heated grips and seat.

As far as the seat, I think were going to get a lot of different opinions. I had a sargent on my k1200rs and it was one of the prettiest seat i have seen. But, I didn't notice huge difference in comfort levels. I decided to use a KON TOUR on the GT. I live in the south and weather is a huge factor. I will get my seat back this week and post a review.

Retroboy

Retroboy
2007 k1200 GT-Dark Graphite
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2006, 11:02 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroboy
I will get my seat back this week and post a review.

Retroboy
You'll love it right out of the box, but wait till it's broken in. You won't even think about it anymore..... till you sit on a stock one.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2006, 7:04 pm

I am using a Bill Mayer which is worlds above the stock seat. I have noticed I am still sliding forward and do have to move around on the seat occasionally to be comfortable. Mayer did a nice job and the heating element works great! Usually have to turn it down after a while even in 30 degree weather. I have always rode Corbins on my other BMW's & Harley's in the past so I may try one when available. I have had Sargent in the past and not impressed! The sliding forward is a big issue to me, may even send my seat back Bill Mayer this winter to see if we can stop the sliding issue. The bike is probably the most wonderful machine I have been on except for the seat!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2006, 8:18 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agaragefull
I am using a Bill Mayer which is worlds above the stock seat. I have noticed I am still sliding forward and do have to move around on the seat occasionally to be comfortable. Mayer did a nice job and the heating element works great! Usually have to turn it down after a while even in 30 degree weather. I have always rode Corbins on my other BMW's & Harley's in the past so I may try one when available. I have had Sargent in the past and not impressed! The sliding forward is a big issue to me, may even send my seat back Bill Mayer this winter to see if we can stop the sliding issue. The bike is probably the most wonderful machine I have been on except for the seat!
I'm with you on this. I still slide forward a bit on the Mayer and need to scoot around to get comfortable. I'd only classify it as maybe a 30% improvement over the stock. My heater pad may be upside down too since I had mine on high tonight and it felt moderately warm, not the scorching hot as when the stocker was there.

I just feel it's still too narrow for me coming off the "tractor-seat" sized Russell. Reminds me of a bicycle seat where more of the (ahem!) stuff hangs over the side unsupported. I keep wanting to slide back onto the wider section of the seat which is still too narrow (me=38" waist).

The Russell, being far wider and longer, gave me far more outer butt and thigh support. More of a dish seat like the pillow Regal Mustangs for H-D, Travelcades, or Gold Wing seats.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode