Corbin KGT Seat Report - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2006, 1:07 am Thread Starter
Addict

Thumbs up Corbin KGT Seat Report

Hello My Friends. I trust everyone that celebrates Thanksgiving had a good holiday. As promised here's my report on the Corbin seat.

I flew down to San Francisco to last weekend to pick up my KGT. A Corbin employee greeted me at the airport for the ride down to Hollister. My bike was sitting in Corbinís showroom with the new seats installed and I was immediately impressed with the design and appearance. Corbin selected subtle textured leather for the seat surface and a contrasting ďbead blastedĒ textured leather for the side panels. As soon as I could suit up I went for a test ride. While the seat felt comfortable I immediately noticed that I was sitting much lower than I normally ride and I could tell that I needed about ĺ inch more padding. Once back at Corbin I was told no problem. A ĺ inch thicker seat was already in the design plans so they made one while I waited.

As we all know the stock seat has a two position height adjustment. This is possible because of the plastic seat pan. Corbinís seat pans are fiberglass and making them work with the factory adjustment system isnít practical so Corbin will offer two different seat height options. The taller turned out to be perfect for my stature and is almost the same as the factory seat on the high setting. Comfort improvements are many. The seat is overall wider at the back but narrows towards the front similar to the factory seat. In fact I didnít notice any difference when putting my feet down at stops between the Corbin seat and the factory seat. This is note worthy as I have had problems with other aftermarket seats including Corbin that have too much added support making stops somewhat tricky at times and cut into my inner thighs. The seat has very little dish allowing full use of the front to back seat surface. I wear Gortex type riding gear and Iíve had serious problems with slipping on some seats. Not so with this seat. The leather Corbin selected seems to be a happy balance between being stuck to the seat and simply sliding forward at every stop.

I rode straight through the next day from San Francisco to Portland, OR (about 650 miles) and so far Iím very pleased with the result. I would occasionally find myself shifting around on the seat but I could alway find a new comfort zone and then get quickly get back to riding. So far I would not hesitate to recommend this seat to anyone.

As for the passenger seat, other than it looks great and it will accommodate the optional back rest, I really canít say as my wife hasnít had a chance to try it yet.

Next is the Smuggler option. The Smuggler is still in development but from what I saw, it is going to be a great option. Plenty of extra storage and Corbin is designing it to follow the lines of the tail section. I know the finished product is going to look great.

I have no idea on pricing and availability yet but Iíll let everyone know when I do.

Get back to me if you have any questions.

Thanks to all for your patience and I canít tell you how nice it is to have my KGT back!

John
06 CGM KGT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CorbinKGT1.JPG
Views:	969
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	4127   Click image for larger version

Name:	CorbinKGT2.JPG
Views:	1268
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	4128   Click image for larger version

Name:	CorbinKGT3.JPG
Views:	707
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	4129   Click image for larger version

Name:	CorbinKGT4.JPG
Views:	606
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	4130   Click image for larger version

Name:	CorbinKGT5.JPG
Views:	966
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	4131  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CorbinKGT6.JPG
Views:	965
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	4132   Click image for larger version

Name:	CorbinKGT7.JPG
Views:	742
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	4133   Click image for larger version

Name:	CorbinKGT8.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	4134   Click image for larger version

Name:	CorbinKGT9.JPG
Views:	443
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	4135  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2006, 7:45 am

Thanks for the pictures and writeup. But, I was sold when you dropped your bike off at the factory Just waiting for the greenlight from Corbin.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2006, 2:14 pm
Hog
Noob

corbin

Just wondering how it is for coming on and off? And did they give you any idea of price?
thanks Dave in Reno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2006, 8:33 pm
ryo

Thanks for the report. Has Corbin integrated the seat heating with the bikes controllers, so a seated heat becomes a plug and play?

rusty
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2007, 2:25 pm
Addict

Update, and bump to the top.

I decided on rather quick whim I would take off and do a 50CC and I knew the stock seat would make it much tougher!

So I called Corbin the morning I left for San Diego to see if they had any seats in stock. They had 1 front, so I stooped by on the way to San Diego for lunch and to pick up the seat.

I was talking with the salesman inquiring if they had ever gotten another GT for a loaner for the smuggler. He called to the back and they said no. I told him I might be able to give up my bike in mid Jan. if they needed one, but altough I'd like to have helped them out earlier, I couldn't.

They informed me they kind of had it covered, but asked if they could play with my bike while I had lunch. Of course I said yes.

I did come out and look while they were fitting it and taking pictures. It was all solid and snapped in quite well. Fit was very impressive, so I'll be interested to see how it looks when they get the final painted versions.

The only down side is the Corbin front and stock rear look like crap. BIG gaps etc, but the seat is great. I never (very rare) carry passengers, so the smuggler might be an option for me instead of a matching rear when they have one in stock...
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2007, 3:58 pm

Let us know (well me anyway) how it turns out. I'm planning a 3 flags run end of Summer if I get drawn this week. Don't have a GT yet, but planning on it so I don't know how I'll be with multiple 1,000 mile +/- days. I'll certainly end up with about 8 to 10 days of at least 700 miles per day.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2007, 5:53 pm

"I decided on rather quick whim I would take off and do a 50CC and I knew the stock seat would make it much tougher!"

I followed your 50 CC trip with much envy on the BMWST board - a very impressive ride. Glad to hear that you were happy with the Corbin seat on that ride. That is a real test for any seat. I've had Corbins on Harleys in the past as well as on my 06 R1200RT that I recently sold to get the new KGT. I've always thought Corbin makes a great seat although I have always had them custom made for me at a ride-in appointment - I've heard too many horror stories about their mail-order service. I am planning on riding up to Corbin and getting a front and rear seat made for my GT as soon as the heated ones are available (they say by the end of January - we'll see !!!).
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2007, 6:31 pm

Do you think the smuggler would be able to fit a helmet inside it? I,m keen on the smuggler option as long as it can be fitted/removed easily.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2007, 12:31 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr500
Do you think the smuggler would be able to fit a helmet inside it? I,m keen on the smuggler option as long as it can be fitted/removed easily.
It snapped in easily. I think it would be as easy as removing a rear seat, if the production version fits like the prototype. I really didn't think to see if a helmet fit in there or not, sorry! It seemed the door would be a little narrow, but I really didn't think of it for that application.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2007, 12:34 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDon
Let us know (well me anyway) how it turns out. I'm planning a 3 flags run end of Summer if I get drawn this week. Don't have a GT yet, but planning on it so I don't know how I'll be with multiple 1,000 mile +/- days. I'll certainly end up with about 8 to 10 days of at least 700 miles per day.
Whatever you do...DO NOT do what I did. That seat needs to be broken in. It started off incredibly hard. It finally broke in and is even a little soft now! But it took a good bit of time for that to happen...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode