For the more touring crowd! Luggage Rack! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2007, 10:44 am Thread Starter
Veteran

For the more touring crowd! Luggage Rack!

This thread was posted on the KLT site and was received with dignified, if not overwhelming enthusiasm. One of the key members of this group kinda taunted me to post it here to see the responses from the more 'sport' minded group.

The GT represents the best of touring and sport riding. Sadly, my riding skills, having ridden only a few years, don't put me in the hotshot sport rider category. But, that notwithstanding, the GT knocks my socks off in the handling and engine compartment. Having an LT and being a packrat, storage space is always desired on my part. Better to have it and not use it than needing it. There are a multitude of cases that can attach to a rack that can contain lightweight items; for some, clean underwear/clothes, for others, perhaps microfiber rags and Plexus. Anyhow, here's the end result with the HD top rack. While some may be ambivalent, it's at least an alternative.

BTW, it looks better in person and it's planned to be powder coated as well. So, you can avoid the chrome sucks comments, as I agree!

BTW, it's the rack for the sundry HD 'Glide' models.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2007, 10:54 am
Veteran

John,

That's really interesting. Nice story.

The rack doesn't look so bad. I'll take your word for it looking better in person. I could go there. And seriously, I think it would look good powder coated to match your wheels.

Was there any difficult mounting it? Drilling the holes, etc? I'm trying to remember if the case lid is double-walled or not? If it is that must have posed a bit of a challenge? How much of the 22 lb load capacity does it take?

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2007, 11:02 am

I'm thinking something in a textured flat black would match the lower part of the topbox, and the vinyl on the topbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2007, 11:11 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I'm thinking something in a textured flat black would match the lower part of the topbox, and the vinyl on the topbox.
Joe,

Not a bad idea, but remember "design" is not just color, it's also "material". There isn't any flat black "metal" components on John's bike. So following this scheme introduces yet another new color/material combination. Texture alone won't cut it. It will look "added on". But if he picks a color of a metal component already on the bike, it will look more integrated. I chose the wheel color because of the "balancing" effect lower and upper components would create. Not having seen this in real life, I might suggest something different, but this at least in "my mind's eye" looks reasonable.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2007, 11:15 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
John,

That's really interesting. Nice story.

The rack doesn't look so bad. I'll take your word for it looking better in person. I could go there. And seriously, I think it would look good powder coated to match your wheels.

Was there any difficult mounting it? Drilling the holes, etc? I'm trying to remember if the case lid is double-walled or not? If it is that must have posed a bit of a challenge? How much of the 22 lb load capacity does it take?
Most of the stuff I carry Chris would be light weight, and certainly not tax the 22 lb limit. Some of the stuff, as you know, is just fluff e.g. clothes, microfiber rags, etc. Installation was 'relatively' easy, but some minor issues. First, the 1.5" hexhead cap screws were replaced with some stainless I had around. They screw into the posts, so, it was an unfounded concern changing from the chrome ones, just anal on my part. The 1.5 inches long enough to go thru the walls and the associated washers. The hardest part was alignment, as the template furnished was of no value. I put some 'felt pads' on the posts, then these 'stickies' I have so it didn't slide around and didn't scratch the top. I just then scribed the posts with a pencil for hole placement, and drilled away. The forward posts are raised with some hard rubber, don't know what they are called but were used to secure something in shipment, and they ended up in my fastener box. The forward posts need to be built up about 3/16", but the supplied HD hardware would have done that. Sorry for the long explanation...most of what I said would have been figured out by commen sense.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2007, 2:55 pm
Enthusiast

I might look into this idea. I have a (from my old harley days) HD waterproof roll bag that velcro's right down on the rack. Now if I can figure out what color it should be.

06 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2007, 4:05 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

HD's Bag Fits Very Nicely

I got the idea of the rack from a close friend who is an HD owner (actually three). I did some rough measurements and decided it could work.

He brought me his 'roll bag' and yes, fits very nicely indeed. Very well made I might add; I don't know how new yours is, but it has the waterproof lining inside, like the new BMW tank bags. A magic marker could 'black out' the red Harley Davidson, but what the heck. And, it fits in the rack as if it were made for it.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2007, 6:03 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassGT
I might look into this idea. I have a (from my old harley days) HD waterproof roll bag that velcro's right down on the rack. Now if I can figure out what color it should be.
In your case, you should go "frame/wheel" color.

Any other "decorating" questions?

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2007, 6:09 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

I'm just a bit confused what you were referring to. Here's the direction I'm going. The rack the same color as the base/bottom of the topcase: Dark gray/as wheels.

Meet everyone's approval? Hell. Powder-coating about 35 bucks. Can re-do it if it's ugly!

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 9:24 pm
Noob

Isnt' the BMW top case double walled? How did you you tighten the bolts without pulling the top down?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode