6000 mile service only cost $7,000.00 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2007, 3:10 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Unhappy 6000 mile service only cost $7,000.00

...and maybe even more!

Seems someone managed to mess with my GT while I was sleeping in the motel awaiting an 8AM service call for the fuel tank guage problem and 6000 mile service.

Came out of room at 7AM to find the GT resting on the right hand side. Luckily, I found some construction guys to get the thing uprighted. There appears to be a small ding on the tailrest so I don't know if someone swung wide and hit the bike, but the damage is pretty excessive so far.

Looks like right fairing (cracked), tank panel, mirror, cut through plastic sleeve and crimped clutch line (not leaking though), right grip, handlebar, muffler, belly pan, assorted brackets, footrest, shift lever, tail rack, width of Cee-Bailey (4+2) cracked and may have taken windshield mechanism with it, Auto-Switch fails to light Moto-Lights. Luckily, bags were still in motel along with trunk so they are unscathed.

Insurance (Bikeline) responded quickly with the dealer and they want an adjuster to look at it at residence which is 150 miles from dealer next week. The dealer is trying to get enough of it together to make it home - duct tape, glue, and whatever. Estimate downtime with insurance and parts is estimated at 5-6 weeks and another 450 miles.

.....but at least it took the software update! :o

Actually I don't feel too bad as another guy has only 57 miles on a brand new yellow K1200(S?) that someone sideswiped him on the LA freeway and knocked him down. It may be totaled at $18,300 as I was just talking to his adjuster.

I don't know if the BMW alarm would have done any good had I had it or if it has the ability to go off when somebody pushes it over. Dunno. Maybe it isn't a good idea to park in between cars in a motel lot. Maybe safer parking all by itself further out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2007, 4:07 pm
Addict

I'm sorry to hear that!!!! Crappy news/luck!

I usually park in front of the front desk, even on the sidewalk if they will let me. I've also parked on the sidewalk in front of my room. If not, I'll put it at the well lit spot, if there is one, at the very end of the parking lot. If need be I'll unload it and then move it. I hate leaving a bike out to get abused/stolen!

Sorry again for the bad luck.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2007, 4:26 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniciaRT
I'm sorry to hear that!!!! Crappy news/luck!

I usually park in front of the front desk, even on the sidewalk if they will let me. I've also parked on the sidewalk in front of my room. If not, I'll put it at the well lit spot, if there is one, at the very end of the parking lot. If need be I'll unload it and then move it. I hate leaving a bike out to get abused/stolen!

Sorry again for the bad luck.
Ground floor, in the room. End of Discussion.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2007, 5:22 pm
What, we're out of glue??

And I thought I had bad luck last week when I:

Got caught in the middle of a 45 mile per hour "brown out" sand storm on I-8 in Imperial, CA in my almost new Mercedes ($8K plus in damage from the sand blasting) with my wife screaming in terror - at the same time our 12 pound poodle, who had eaten duck s*** the day before was literally squirting out of both ends - which required a 3 hour visit to the Emergency Pet Hospital and a $402.00 bill - on the way to a week vacation in Laguna Beach - with a stay at a "beach house" owned by a friend of mine that is located about 5 yards from the 120 decibel 4 lane Pacific Coast Hwy - then got the flu with a 101 degree temperature for 4 days - even though I got a flu shot in October. At least it was sunny all week.

I have to admit in the middle of the storm with the dog losing it at both ends I started laughing pretty hard. I did not dare open the windows to get the stank out...

Here's the sand that came out of the INSIDE of the airbox that did not make it past the filters: :banghead
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airbox sand 1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	4461   Click image for larger version

Name:	airbox sand 2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	4462  

www.KontourSeat.com - "Like Buttah"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jan 5th, 2007 at 5:31 pm.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2007, 6:14 pm
Addict

Daaaammmmnnn Gmack. You're living my worst road trip nightmare. And my wife wonders why I'm always checking on the bike throughout the night. I can't relax until I'm actually rolling out of the parking lot the next day.

And if it isn't bad enough that it happened, it's a hit and run too!

Well I truly hope your dealer can get all the parts you need soon. If it's not too painful share some photos of the damage if you have any.

Good luck!

John
06 CGM KGT
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2007, 6:43 pm

Sheesh, that seems like a lot of damage for a little bump and getting tipped over. It wouldn't surprise me if someone nailed it pretty hard to cause an impact hard enough to break this much stuff. When I first had my K12RS, 2 weeks young-some dipshit knocked it off the center stand in the parking lot at work. I suspect it was someone pulling in too quick and giving it enough of a bump on the side case to dump it over. Just a few scratches from that, but on the way home the right side case came off the little peg (it seemed attached ok, but must have had enough tension on it to eventually come out) and rub on the tire-before I noticed it already rubbed a hole in the inner half of the case.
Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal, it's a shame we live in a world where these chickenshits just run off instead of standing up for their mistakes.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2007, 7:23 pm
Just saying hey

A buddy got his mint K1100rs totalled by the nicest inn keeper in Nova Scotia and it was parked in a barn. Don't ask.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2007, 8:04 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard
Ground floor, in the room. End of Discussion.
Always the safest bet!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	No-Tell Motel, reduced.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	4465  

It's not the speed that kills, it's the rate at which the speed diminishes...
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2007, 10:31 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John06KGT
If it's not too painful share some photos of the damage if you have any.
Yeah, John, I got some photos before it got uprighted. I'm just now looking at them and see if I can figger out this posting photo stuff. Looks like it rests on the fairing and muffler as both wheels are off the ground. It appears the shield may have hit a red car's (parked next to it) door molding and that's why it shattered unless it rocked over more when it fell. Only a small bit of the Cee-Bailey's remains.

We "think" it may have been whoever was parked on the left side of the bike. Maybe they swung wide backing out, or some 500 pounder butt-pushed it over messing with their luggage? Anyway, they were long gone. Seems it was pushed further towards the red car than I parked it. Dunno. Then again, maybe someone from the Denny's next door decided to "sit on it" after their dry-out time after the bars closed? Small nick in tail end makes me and the mechanic think it was a van or pickup. Damage may have been less had the bags been on. I doubt very much if the wind, being as it was between two vehicles, would have knocked it over. I had a small raincover for the seat only so it wasn't a sail.

Insurance responded quick. Got one e-mail and two calls from Markel Insurance (i.e. Bikeline) and their remote LA agency while at the dealer. They will have an adjuster meet me at my house to fill in his report next week. Dealer needs to wade through labor charges as it now has some new electrical gremlins as well. They weren't happy with the selling dealer's wiring either and made some suggestions.

Aside, the update did not fix the fuel gauge issue. There were three things on the update they addressed. Still not working and still only indicates one bar on full tank. They think it is the "fuel strip" inside the tank and will get to it when they tear into the tip-over damage. I'm not too crazy about the slower "return to idle" of the update than what was in the original 6.0. I preferred the harder engine braking of 6.0, but there is far less drive-train slop and the slow-speed bucking is reduced considerably. Time will tell - or I will adjust.

So home it came and I saw the flashing snowflake! Didn't know about that as I never saw it before. Around 35 degrees it comes on. It got down to 29 degrees at Gorman on I-5 from last night's snow. Cops at the dealer warned me about the I-5 problems and ice on the bridges but I told them "I may as well crash-up the other side to match." Doing 80-90mph on I-5 with no shield on the GT and 30 degrees is a bit much! Add on the 50-90 gusts and it was dang cold! Reminded me of my Harley days. I wouldn't chance lane-splitting around the Hwy. 14 and I-5 junction as the bike wanders pretty good at slow speed with those gusts. At higher speeds it cuts like a knife, albeit a very cold one.

Fwiw, I wouldn't have been able to get it in the motel room. The walkway was narrow and the room itself was just about big enough for the bed. One photo shows the open room door. I always request a ground floor when I reserve as I hate dragging all the bags upstairs and banging them. I question if an alarm would have made any difference. They probably would have sped off before I got out there. It is maybe 50 yards from the Pacific Coast Highway and that alone was noisy enough. Parking near the front desk wouldn't help either as they only come up front when someone comes in so they wouldn't have seen anything and it isn't a 24 hour counter as they had a key drop for early departures. No cameras either. Maybe a guard dog?

A lot of police have their BMW bikes serviced there. I was surprised that maybe 5 different law agencies in the west LA area other than the California Highway Patrol use the RT-Ps. Some are pretty limited (i.e. no Stalker radar units). Some have very elaborate lighting systems. Some are pretty well trashed out at 30K miles. I also was surprised some are able to purchase modular flip helmets (CHP doesn't get to pick theirs). All I spoke with, while they were going "Ouch!" over mine, said you pretty much cannot guarantee someone will not mess with your parked bike - unless you are licensed to carry and standing there.

The servicing dealer does have a Sprinter van and they said they could pick the bike up and not have me bother with the motel anymore. However, it gets expensive at $1 per mile and $85 per hour driver time. Round trip would be maybe $500 and if they return it $1000. Ouch! Van travels are pretty much for state agencies and on their tab. Back to the damn motel soon as the insurance and dealer figure it all out.....if they don't total it first and force me into a Feb. build '07. My deductible is $500 and an estimate for damages runs $170 which comes off the repair if they do it.

As the cops say, "Sh!t happens."
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2007, 7:52 am
I'm your vehicle baby...

I am sorry that happened.

As I tell my wife and kids...

"That's why God invented insurance."

Brian

With this much hubris, how could I ever be wrong!
06 K1200 GT "Carina" - Deep Blue Metallic (Fastest Color GT)
07 R1200GS Adventure - Gus
01 Buell Blast "Thumper" - No Power, vibrates and shimmies at speed. What Fun!
BMOA# 126420

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode