Braking - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2007, 5:56 am Thread Starter

Braking

When I brake on the KGT it is just habit to apply the rear brake as well. Does this inter fear with the ABS or not? The reason I do this is because I have another bike that I pity ride now and then, and it does not have ABS.
I have practiced some panic stops on the KGT both ways and rear brake application does not seem to change stoping distance.
Yes , im very familar with the braking percentage of front and back.
Has any one measured a panic stop from 20mph?
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2007, 6:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridwell52
When I brake on the KGT it is just habit to apply the rear brake as well. Does this inter fear with the ABS or not? The reason I do this is because I have another bike that I pity ride now and then, and it does not have ABS.
I have practiced some panic stops on the KGT both ways and rear brake application does not seem to change stoping distance.
Yes , im very familar with the braking percentage of front and back.
Has any one measured a panic stop from 20mph?
David
it will not affect the ABS at all
i always use the rear brake as well... just habit, even though the front brake use will also give rear brake application

as for the 20mph panic distance....
almost "0" feet.... it'll throw you over if you aren't paying attention
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2007, 7:46 am

Panic stop from 20mph? No such thing, unless you just weren't paying attention. But, to answer the question, like above, 0 feet. The distance you travel while waiting to react is FAR greater than the stopping distance from 20mph.

Using the rear brake. Yup, I use it all the time, just like they weren't linked. I always have more than one bike, and good habits are worth keeping. The thing I work on remembering is to ease up on the rear brake as I apply more pressure to the front during hard stops. The rear on any sport oriented bike becomes very light during hard stopping, and will easily lock. With ABS you know you got it wrong when the peddle kicks back at you a bit. On a non-abs bike that would be a locked rear.

I love having ABS for practicing high speed stops. Its a much safer way to practice panic stops. It sucks finding the 100mph locking point on a non-abs bike. But, knowing how much brake pressure you can apply during a panic stop is a great skill to acquire. I learn this max braking point on every bike I own, ABS just makes it a ton easier(and safer too).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2007, 10:44 am
Telepathetic

Panic stop from 20mph? Now that is funny!!! My last panic stop was on the track with a non-ABS bike. The tires were screaming but never broke loose coming down from 100+ to 0.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2007, 3:38 pm

The longer I ride the GT, the less I use the rear brake. During my last 400-mile day, I believe I used the rear brake just one time...while doing a U-Turn in a parking lot. Otherwise, I simply don't see or feel the need.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2007, 4:02 pm
Enthusiast

Ditto... If I need to push down on the back brake I'm in OH SH*T mode.

06 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2007, 4:56 pm

Always use both brakes except:

1) At the track - front brake only unless it is an "off road excursion" in which case it is rear brake only.

2) On dirt - favour the back much more.

3) Icy or otherwise slippery surfaces - see #2.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2007, 5:08 am Thread Starter

20 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowflyn
Panic stop from 20mph? Now that is funny!!! My last panic stop was on the track with a non-ABS bike. The tires were screaming but never broke loose coming down from 100+ to 0.
The reason for the 20mph is because im trying to teach the members in my club how to brake properly. Most dont have a clue, and going any faster is mute, because they cant stop at 20mph without locking the rear wheel, plus Im on the course with them. They tell me that I cheat because i have ABS. Then I climb on their bike and show them It can be done.
I personally feel that it should be a law that all bikes have a standard ABS system. I would venture a guess that 70% of riders do not have proper braking skills, the most important skill on a motorcycle.
David
SCRC #164 safety officer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode