Overnight Trips - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2007, 10:28 am Thread Starter

Overnight Trips

What's the standard procedure for those of you guys who find yourselves staying at hotels or wherever while travelling on your bikes? Do most of you cover your bikes overnight? Or do you try to get permission to park under cover of the motel entrance if there is one. Also, do you generally tend to put it up on its centerstand for the night or simply rest in on its sidestand? How about if your own bag liners......do you simply pull out the liner or take the entire side and/or top bag into your room? I figure the latter would be the case if you were concerned about someone's curiosity as to what might be in that attached luggage.

Just trying to learn before my first major excursion.....wherever that may take me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2007, 10:50 am

I have a cover but don't always use it. Hopefully I can park right outside the room. If my room isn't going to be close to my bike, I'll sometimes ask if I can park under by the front door/motel entrance. I only take the bag liners in the room and of course my tank bag. Don't usually even bother to remove the GPS. Depends on the terrain as far as which stand I use. If the ground is reasonably level, I prefer the center stand but if that isn't possible I'll use the side stand. I always lock the forks but that's all I do.

I figure that most travelers see a MC parked outside and figure some large hairy guy with lots of tattoos and an attitude is within sight of his bike so it is left alone. I've never had a problem.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2007, 11:27 am
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Park next to a Harley.

They always go for those first.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2007, 12:02 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

On a more serious note,

I don't have a bike cover. To me that's just one more thing to pack.
Besides, after riding through an all day rain or two, covering the
bike to keep a little dirt or dew off of it at night seems a little, ummmm,
stoopid. But, that may just be me that sees it that way.

I always park in a well lit area. If I can swing parking up front near
the doors to the front desk, OK. If not, then under a lamp or right outside
the door of my room if possible.

I don't have bag liners, wish I did though.

Things I do have?

Insurance. Paid up and current insurance.

In well over 30 years of traveling the US, I've stayed in a gazillion
motels. Only ONE TIME, in Sweetwater,Tenn. has my bike been messed with.
Some thieving bastiges tried to get my bike and only succeeded in
fooking it up to the point that the dealer in Knoxville had to rig it
so I could start it and get home for more complete repairs. That's where
the insurance came in handy.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2007, 12:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsterMVA
What's the standard procedure for those of you guys who find yourselves staying at hotels or wherever while travelling on your bikes? Do most of you cover your bikes overnight? Or do you try to get permission to park under cover of the motel entrance if there is one. Also, do you generally tend to put it up on its centerstand for the night or simply rest in on its sidestand? How about if your own bag liners......do you simply pull out the liner or take the entire side and/or top bag into your room? I figure the latter would be the case if you were concerned about someone's curiosity as to what might be in that attached luggage.

Just trying to learn before my first major excursion.....wherever that may take me.
I always carry and use a "half" cover, mostly to keep rain or dew off the seat. If using the Honda, I have a couple of mini duffle bags that I carry into the hotel. If using the BMW's, I just take the detachable bags in with me. I "almost" always use the centerstand.

If practical, I seek out "mom and pop" hotels, that often have a way for me to park right outside my door. In over forty years of motorcycle touring and travel, I've never had my bike messed with at all.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2007, 12:47 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

I tend to think people will fiddle with a covered bike less than they would with an uncovered bike, so I generally try to cover it when I'm on a road trip. I've had poor luck with finding covered awnings and the like at motels, although I'm always looking. Guys are always telling me to wheel the bike into the room with me, but I've NEVER found a room where it was possible for me to do that. It's usually not even possible for me to park the bike close to the room.

I either take the bags in with me or lock them to the bike, depending upon what I need for the night.

If the parking area is level and secure, I'll put the bike on the centerstand, otherwise, on the sidestand and in gear.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2007, 4:02 pm

I attempt to park right outside my window. Failing that I ask if there is a place that is lit up and visible to the night operator and park there, sometimes this is under an awning if I'm lucky.

If I get in late and am leaving the next day I tend to not cover it. If I'm staying longer, I cover it.

With my Wing, I have a remote paging security system so it is on by my bed so I'll hear if anything happens. The only time it's gone off is when a heavy truck lumbered by and set off the motion detector. I must admit, having the proximity detector is nice. I don't know if it has warned away people or not but if they got close it would.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2007, 4:13 pm

Cool Aerostitch has a great cover.

I allways try to park the bike in a secure location. Aerostitch makes a cover that pack down about the size of a small softback book. It is made out of the same material as a parachute. It is not the cheapest solution but it is a great product.

Retroboy
2007 k1200 GT-Dark Graphite
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2007, 5:30 pm

I always put my bike up on the centerstand overnight. Putting a bike on the sidestand usually gets it too close to the cage on either side. I cover it, depending on how comfortable I am with the parking lot, lighting, and etc... With the GT, I take all the hardbags inside my room, even though I have bag liners.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2007, 9:14 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDon
With my Wing, I have a remote paging security system so it is on by my bed so I'll hear if anything happens. The only time it's gone off is when a heavy truck lumbered by and set off the motion detector. I must admit, having the proximity detector is nice. I don't know if it has warned away people or not but if they got close it would.
....hmmmm... Wouldn't happen to be a Scorpio SR-i500Sw alarm would it?

After my very costly motel misfortune, I bought one. I'm looking over the manual now and I don't know how the alarm's lighting wires to the turn signals and taillight couple up with the Can-Bus system. I may leave it to the guru who puts the bike back together. The proximity alarm is the size of a matchbox and the pager maybe slightly larger and has a keyring.

My motel knock-down has to be one of my costliest insurance claims to date. The adjuster photographed the bike last night and was submitting all the photos so the haggling between the insurance, dealer, and myself can begin (I guess). Haven't heard from the insurance company yet, although the dealer has faxed the estimate over to them. Oh, the BMW knock-over "estimate" alone is two hours shop time ($180) which comes off the repair if they do it.

My bike was parked right outside my room, maybe 15 feet away. Another 50 yards distant was a 24 hour Denny's. Lighting was very good in the lot and the motel's hallways, although it was a dark rainy night. I had a rain-cover on the leather seat.

I never heard the bike hit the ground. Slight nick on tail-end so maybe that is where they struck the bike? Or perhaps an attempted theft? As the bags were in the room, the fall did far more damage to the bike then had they been left on. Muffler has a nice rattling sound to it now as though some internal baffle has gotten knocked loose. Trying to do the back-into-it lift as demonstrated by the lady is impossible with the GT as it rests well onto its side with the wheels far off the ground. It wants to scoot across asphalt on the side fairing and muffler if you try it. With three people it was a lot easier.

Regarding which stand, I believe the side-stand - with a Fat-Foot attached instead of that spike - with the bike "in gear" is a better option. The GT rests so heavy on the front tire that had it been on the center-stand alone and in gear, someone hitting it from behind would knock it off the center-stand before the rear "locked-in-first-gear" tire ever made contact with the ground. Then boom! This is even easier to do with all the bags off the bike.

As far as parking near the night counter or office, I asked my sister who has worked the night motel shift. Her job was primarily adding up receipts and doing the accounting work during the evening. As such, all money and credit card handling is done out of sight away from the front counter so she says she'd would never have noticed damage done to a bike out front, much less some collisions that happen on the street right in front of the office. She has been told "If a biker asks, tell them it's okay to park there (out front, like they're gonna watch it!)." Besides, some motels lock their front offices at night. I doubt if it is any safer parking there.

I have had people mess around with the bike and twist the throttle and such when I parked near a stairway so I try to avoid that. For some reason, people just have to touch it when they get close enough.

I'm beginning to think that the safest place is maybe far away from the building where someone would have to walk a distance to get to it if they "Must play with it." Far enough away that no cars would want to park around it either. A light nearby. As mentioned, paid insurance. And a Scorpion two-way pager on the nightstand. Maybe parking it in a room if you can do it.

I'm still trying to evaluate how to do this. Maybe I'll switch my insurance to Mutual of Sicily. If they find the perp, they can push him down a flight of stairs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode