Pick-up Camper Shell 1, 06K1200GT 0 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2007, 11:09 pm Thread Starter

Pick-up Camper Shell 1, 06K1200GT 0

Some moron left a camper shell for a pick-up truck on I81 in southwest VA. At least 8 vehicles hit the [email protected]#$#@ thing with me being the first.

Conditions: Mist, had rained hours before, some mist, and about 1130 PM. Trying to complete an unofficial BB 1,000. Only warning sign was glass strewn across the ineterstate in a bizarre pattern so slowed down.

Theory: Shell separated from the truck landing upside down with the bar that would normally sit next to the truck's cab facing into the flow of traffic. It was a camper shell as comfirmed by a Sherriff's Deputy.

I think I was the first to hit the shell. The shell and the road were very dark from the time of night and moisture. I think I hit the shell at 60 mph or slower (the posted speed is 65 mph and the "real speed" is closer to 75/80 mph).

The shell's supporting bar cut through my front end like a scythe cutting through wheat. Significant damage to the fairing - almost as if a mechanical monster ripped the center out of the front of the bike.

I have some pictures but could not get them to post. Will do so if someone can advise.

Beauty of the GT - stayed balanced, and even without lights was able to get to emergency lane and help out with the other drivers and clearing the debris.

However, Crossroads Trailing and Recovery at Rural Retreat at Exit 60 charged me $300 to tow my bike about a 1.5 miles. They also charged me $35 for storage. No choice as the VA State Police called them due to the multi-vehicle collisons. The VA State Police were great.

Will post the poor quality pictures with guidance.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2007, 11:33 pm

Upload the pictures to the photo gallery. Then bracket the pictures url with [img]url[/img] . To get the url, right click on the picture, then click on properties, then copy and paste the url between the brackets as above.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2007, 11:35 pm
Enthusiast

Sorry that this unexpected thing happened. It's a heads-up for us all. So thankful that you are alive to tell the tale. Keep us posted. I hope that your mighty K is repairable and that you will enjoy riding again soon. Let us know the details, and once again, gracious good luck was with you. Roll on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2007, 12:09 am

Oh my god! I'm so happy you survived that. This is just another example of why my wife and I refuse to ride or bikes on I-81...it's deadly with all the big trucks, and stuff falling off of them!
If you don't have a photo web site to put your pics on, email them to me and I'll host them.
Again, I'm so glad you're okay (the bike is just a thing that can be repaired), Greg
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2007, 7:03 am

Steve,

I am really glad that you survived this incident without injury. It sounds as though it could have been horrific.

I am (as I'm sure others are) very curious though. How is it that you couldn't avoid the obstacle? Lack of visibility due to the mist, a curve, or what? I've read your post several times, and it's still not quite clear to me. Forgive me if I'm just not 'getting it'. Maybe I'm a little slow this morning...entirely possible.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2007, 7:28 am
Veteran

Welcome to that crowd.

It's pretty amazing how much of the GT gets messed up in an accident.

I found a camper shell in the road and reported it to the police. Seems some guy wanted to get rid of it and left a cable tied to the inside of it and the other end tied to a light pole and he took off and left it in the middle of the street. Very odd. Cops tracked it as it had the serial number tag still left on it even though he removed the license plate.

Least the GT is repairable. Just takes time as I'm finding out.

Good luck!

Mack
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2007, 9:43 am Thread Starter

Thanks All

I appreciate the comments for my health.

I wanted to post the incident as a warning device - I never thought I would come across a camper shell.

To provide greater clarity given the following quote:

It was very dark (2230 PM in Jan), misting, everything was wet with the mist. Here is additional information: the shell was laying on the last bit of a rise in the road, the shell was upside down so there were no painted surfaces for light to reflect, the shell was laying backwards as well with the supporting glass busted out - so once again very little or no painted surfae to reflect light.

It was next to impossible to see under the conditions as at least 8 vehicles hit the thing. We only knew it was a camper shell because the Sheriff's Deputy was able to go through the debris later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Steve,

I am really glad that you survived this incident without injury. It sounds as though it could have been horrific.

I am (as I'm sure others are) very curious though. How is it that you couldn't avoid the obstacle? Lack of visibility due to the mist, a curve, or what? I've read your post several times, and it's still not quite clear to me. Forgive me if I'm just not 'getting it'. Maybe I'm a little slow this morning...entirely possible.
hope this helps.

Steve
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2007, 9:46 am
Statmaster

Steve,

Glad you're still with us.

Please send the pictures to me at [email protected] and I'll get them up for you.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2007, 11:43 am
Addict

I'm so glad to hear you got through it with no damage to the important parts...Your body parts.

Sorry to hear of the crappy luck, but I hope insurance helps you fix/replace the GT.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2007, 7:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWILLIS125911
To provide greater clarity given the following quote:

It was very dark (2230 PM in Jan), misting, everything was wet with the mist. Here is additional information: the shell was laying on the last bit of a rise in the road, the shell was upside down so there were no painted surfaces for light to reflect, the shell was laying backwards as well with the supporting glass busted out - so once again very little or no painted surfae to reflect light.

It was next to impossible to see under the conditions as at least 8 vehicles hit the thing. We only knew it was a camper shell because the Sheriff's Deputy was able to go through the debris later.
Thanks for the additional info Steve. It clears things up immensely...at least for me. Again, really sorry it happened but I'm glad that you're OK. And that's all that really matters.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode