Optional Side Covers; Errata - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2007, 6:48 pm Thread Starter

Optional Side Covers; Errata

Hello! My name is Kurt. I'm new to this outstanding forum, and I would first like to express my appreciation for how much I've learned just by quietly "lurking" and reading here over the past several months.

Last fall, I custom-ordered a 2007 K1200GT (Crystal Gray Metallic) through Ohio Motorcycle in Hilliard, OH., and this Friday I will be meeting with their sales manager to carefully review (and perhaps make any last-minute changes to) my order before it is finalized and then submitted to BMW for production in the very near future. While my dealer has been very helpful in answering almost all of my questions, there are a couple that remain murky, and so far I've not been able to find solid answers to these questions through this site's search engine. Therefore, I would like to pose the following questions and requests to you all...

1) I've so far been unable to locate any online, detailed, close-up photos which clearly illustrate the appearances of the optional side covers, which include Granite Gray Metallic, and Dark Slate Metallic. (I've specified black seats for my bike.) While BMW's web site lists these side covers as available options, there are no corresponding photos! Thus, if anyone has detailed photos of these optional side covers on a CGM GT, I would greatly appreciate your posting them here! Also, for those who have opted for one of these optional side covers, have you found them to be any more prone to developing scratches or blemishes compared to what you might expect from the standard side covers?

2) Controversy: Synthetic oil, or not, for the 2007 K12GT? I've asked my dealer this question, and after they reportedly consulted with BMW, I was told that according to the mfgr., synthetic oil would be fine if it was used only in the ENGINE, but because the GT's oil is shared between engine and clutch, synthetic oil will reportedly damage the clutch, and therefore its use is supposedly frowned upon according to the factory warranty.

On the other hand, I've read several online opinions which basically claim that once the 2006-2007 K12GT's have been ridden for 10,000-15,000 miles on dino oil, it is supposedly completely safe to then change over to an appropriate, high-quality synthetic oil. My dealer has opined that so long as I observe the required oil change intervals with dino oil, there's probably not much sense in risking warranty issues through the eventual use of synthetic oil. But I'm a newbie here, so your help and advice would be most appreciated! (And by the way, please don't blow off my questions about synthetic oil by referring me to the search engine, since I've already done that, and so far I've found mostly conflicting opinions rather than a clear and convincing consensus.) At this point, my sense is that it's a good idea to follow the mfgr's directions..?

In closing, I want to again thank all of you for your help! I'll keep you posted on how things proceed with my new bike.

(For what it's worth, my GT has been ordered with the following thus far: ESA; cruise control; xenon light; TPM; On Board Computer; heated seats & grips; ASC; high windshield; BMW Nav. III; additional power socket; low seat; tank bag; small, hard top case; bike cover; standard side covers; anti-scuff protectors for side cases).

Best Regards,

Kurt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2007, 7:08 pm
Veteran

Only thing I see on your list that is kind of pointless is the additional BMW power outlet. When the dealer added mine, it took all of five minutes and it is simply a split Y-connector that comes off the power outlet already there.

That means the approx. 5 amps is now about 2.5 amps to the two sockets if you use both and that isn't enough to power any heated clothing if you use both sockets, much less the feeble one. The one alone kept cycling my Gerbing liner and gloves on an off like a funky circuit breaker.

I'd have him add a "direct-to-the-battery" Powerlet socket. That way you can use a charger and have a 15 amp circuit that will power most any heated clothing or accessories.

Why BMW did the Can-Bus feebly-powered accessory socket is beyond me.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2007, 9:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtk12gt

2) Controversy: Synthetic oil, or not, for the 2007 K12GT? I've asked my dealer this question, and after they reportedly consulted with BMW, I was told that according to the mfgr., synthetic oil would be fine if it was used only in the ENGINE, but because the GT's oil is shared between engine and clutch, synthetic oil will reportedly damage the clutch, and therefore its use is supposedly frowned upon according to the factory warranty.

On the other hand, I've read several online opinions which basically claim that once the 2006-2007 K12GT's have been ridden for 10,000-15,000 miles on dino oil, it is supposedly completely safe to then change over to an appropriate, high-quality synthetic oil. My dealer has opined that so long as I observe the required oil change intervals with dino oil, there's probably not much sense in risking warranty issues through the eventual use of synthetic oil. But I'm a newbie here, so your help and advice would be most appreciated! (And by the way, please don't blow off my questions about synthetic oil by referring me to the search engine, since I've already done that, and so far I've found mostly conflicting opinions rather than a clear and convincing consensus.) At this point, my sense is that it's a good idea to follow the mfgr's directions..?
My '06 came from the factory filled with synthetic oil - I would think the '07 would be the same. Read the manual that comes with your bike... the mfg does have a good idea what works with what they built, in fact the spec for the oil is right there. For at least the '06 model, that meant synthetic right out of the box.

IBA 18417
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2007, 12:23 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOlson
My '06 came from the factory filled with synthetic oil - I would think the '07 would be the same. Read the manual that comes with your bike... the mfg does have a good idea what works with what they built, in fact the spec for the oil is right there. For at least the '06 model, that meant synthetic right out of the box.
So.... As Chris says, read, read, read, and dont' trust your dealers. Especially sales and parts guys...You'll find they sometimes think they are experts, but some, and I really mean some, not most, are more full of sh#$!T than any knowledge. Find the ones you can trust, and run away from the clowns you can't.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2007, 5:28 am
no power in the 'verse can stop me

If I may be so bold as to modify your statement just a little,

So.... As Chris says, read, read, read, and don't trust the internet. Especially guys who've already invested 20-30 thousand dollars in their bikes, cuz now it's a religion to them...You'll find they sometimes think they are experts, but some, and I really mean some, not most, are more full of sh#$!T than any knowledge. Find the ones you can trust, and run away from the clowns you can't.

Good luck settling all these questions in your own mind

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2007, 9:53 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shook sez
If I may be so bold as to modify your statement just a little,

So.... As Chris says, read, read, read, and don't trust the internet. Especially guys who've already invested 20-30 thousand dollars in their bikes, cuz now it's a religion to them...You'll find they sometimes think they are experts, but some, and I really mean some, not most, are more full of sh#$!T than any knowledge. Find the ones you can trust, and run away from the clowns you can't.

Good luck settling all these questions in your own mind

Thanks, I just pushed coffee through my nose!

Fair enough! But everyone knows the internet isn't the place to find real information!!! (It has only saved my ass like a hundred times!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2007, 11:55 am
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniciaRT

Thanks, I just pushed coffee through my nose!

Fair enough! But everyone knows the internet isn't the place to find real information!!! (It has only saved my ass like a hundred times!!!
I agree that the 'net can save your ass on a regular basis.

But, and this is just one example, I don't come to the guys on the
'net for advice about things arcane. And oil appears to be one of those things.

There are some absolutely intelligent, class people on these websites. But, just
because a guy is a self made success in the business world and can afford a
dozen different bikes ( all of them high end machines ) doesn't mean he's
had any chemistry and metallurgy classes. Why would I ask a doctor or a lawyer
a question best asked of a chemical engineer?

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2007, 12:38 pm
Enthusiast

Kurt,

I just ordered an '07 and was not aware that "...anti-scuff protectors for side cases..." is an option. Perhaps this was through your dealer as a set-up add-on? Any further info appreciated as I know the side cases can take a beating when the SO gets on and off.

DS
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2007, 7:40 pm Thread Starter

BMW "Pannier" Protectors

Hi, David:

I met with my BMW dealer today, and the pannier protectors I mentioned are listed in the 2007 BMW catalogue. The part # is as follows:

Left: 71 60 7 693 675

Right: 71 60 7 693 676

My dealer told me that while these protectors are not specifically listed in the 2007 catalogue under accessories for the K12GT, the GT's side cases are the same ones used on one or more of BMW's other touring bikes, and therefore, they will fit the GT's side cases just fine. I hope you find this info helpful!

Best Regards,

Kurt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode