Which type iPOD to use - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2007, 1:57 pm Thread Starter

Which type iPOD to use

Newby! ('07 K1200 GT-- 200 miles). Have searched this forum and googled--
Prefer forum members' input. I was told by my local Apple Store that hard-drive iPODs
are NOT recommended for use on motorcycles. I plan to handlebar-mount, but would consider relocating to jacket pocket or tail bag (I plan not to have a tank bag), using wireless remote (does Apple make the remotes?). Are iPODs reasonably weatherproof?

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2007, 2:28 pm
Statmaster

I ran a 2nd Gen iPod in a tankbag (I know you don't want to use a tankbag) for 3 years before the battery became worthless. I know the microdrives in the Garmin 26xx series (before they went to flash drives) had problems and they are similar to the ones in the old iPods. I would prefer to NOT use a hard-drive version, as the new iPod Nanos come with up to 8GB. Sure, you can't take your entire 42GB library with you, but I usually have a subset of less than 8GB music that I would take on a trip.

BTW, I actually listen to my Satellite Radio more than my iPod these days when I'm riding the bike.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2007, 2:33 pm
Enthusiast

I use my iPod nano and think it works well. I don't think any of them are waterproof though or even water resistant for that matter. There are various different mounts out there that will allow you to put any iPod on your handlebars.

'03 K1200GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2007, 3:00 pm

I also use my Nano. Works great.

As for remotes, here's one that's water-resistant, wireless and made for gloved hands. http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=298896
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2007, 6:16 pm

I have a 3rd gen and have had no problems. It even got soaked in a rain storm and still works fine.

Come June I will be one of the first in line for the iPhone though.

Brian
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2007, 6:53 pm

any iPod will be fine
do NOT handlebar mount it
folks may have been fine doing that
but the HARD DRIVE will NOT like the vibration

put it in the tank bag and forget it

as for NOT being able to fiddle with it while you ride..... GOOD....
maybe then you won't get into any accident

iPods are meant to be SET BEFORE YOU RIDE..... and forgotten....
or they might be the cause of your death
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2007, 7:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
any iPod will be fine

as for NOT being able to fiddle with it while you ride..... GOOD....
maybe then you won't get into any accident

iPods are meant to be SET BEFORE YOU RIDE..... and forgotten....
or they might be the cause of your death
Wow Greg! Are you living in the Stone Age, or what? You're not still using electro-shock therapy on your patients, are you?

What if someone was resourceful enough to shockproof their handlebar-mounted iPod? And what if that same someone was to mount an RF iPod remote near the left handgrip and operate it with his thumb? Would you still continue to make such bold statements? Really?

Pics coming . . . soon. :p
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2007, 7:18 pm

I have a 4G iPod and can store a LOT on it. I wouldn't trust the hard drive at all on a bike.

As someone stated, I tend to use Satellite Radio a fair amount on the bike. The iPod replaces a CD player.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2007, 7:21 pm
Veteran

I prefer something with a removable battery like an Archo's media player. I've got two.

I can use the newer model to off-load photos from the digital camera and free up its memory, plug in their bullet camera (i.e. a helmet camera) and record movies on the bike, watch movies while held up in a tent, and/or play a ton of mp3 files - all in one device.

If you have a Dish Network receiver, you can plug the Archos into the receiver's USB port and record the movie directly to the unit in a compressed format. You can also play a movie off the unit onto a big screen TV.

Might cost you a bit more than an iPod, but they do a whole lot more as well. For the price of one iPod battery replacement, you could own the Archos. They are cheaper to buy through Dish Network too. Neither has ever skipped on the bike although both are hard-drive units.

Once the Zumo GPS came along, I moved most all of my mp3's over to a 4 Gig Transcend SD card into the Zumo and leave the Archo's for movies and photo backups.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2007, 8:45 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
any iPod will be fine

The iPod Nano is flash drive so it should not be affected by the vibration like a standard iPod which is hard-drive memory. My Nano has shown no ill effects so far and I don't expect it will.

'03 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode