Are BMW tank bags worth the extra $$$$$? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2007, 5:32 pm Thread Starter

Are BMW tank bags worth the extra $$$$$?

I just got a price for the proper BMW tank bag which is AUS$629, or about 3 times the price of a regular one. Is the BMW bag worth the extra money? What is so special about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2007, 6:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr500
I just got a price for the proper BMW tank bag which is AUS$629, or about 3 times the price of a regular one. Is the BMW bag worth the extra money? What is so special about it?
It says BMW on the side?

Brian
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2007, 9:48 pm

My opinion (and, it is just that)? Nope, I just don't think BMW farkles are worth it. I have the Marsee Corona tank bag and I'm very happy with it, and it cost 1/2 the bmw one. You're going to get LOTS of opinions on this topic!
, Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2007, 7:38 am

In my opinion, a tank bag is a priceless option. I'm still using the first one I ever purchased though I've well over 70 thousand miles on the bag itself. It's one of those "How did I ever get along without it?" kind of things.

I never liked conventional bags, which are generally known to cause scratches on the tank and can be difficult to put on/take off the bike. I purchased used and then I moved my BigMak bag from my RT to the GT when I traded. This is a terrific bag. Nothing ever touched the tank and is on & off the bike in mere seconds. Flips out of the way at the gas station and has lots of space.

I got mine directly from http://www.bigmakaccess.com/ but the site hasn't been updated in many years. http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/BigMak/ is a good place too. I've no affiliation with either company but am a return customer at both places and neither will disappoint.

Neither will the AirBag tank bag. I use it every day and have done so for many years.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2007, 9:28 am
Addict

in my opinion HELL NO the bmw tank bag is not worth the extra dollars unless you just have to bmw and have the extra dollars to throw away.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2007, 2:01 pm
Enthusiast

The Jury's Still Out

I bought a Sargent tankbag for my 2002 RT and while it was functional, it never fit the tank, slide slightly from side to side and would activate the horn and windshield in left lock turns. When I got the GT I said enough crap, buy the bag that was designed for the bike. I waited for BMW to fix the first iteration's straps and just took delivery of my new BMW bag. But it's 20 degrees here so I won't get to use it until later this year. According to another poster here, the new version can be cinched down tight and will not activate the horn. I also like the waterproof inner bag in place of the cover I always had to stop and put on my old Sargent bag. They sell for $325 US, but Chicago BMW offers 20% off all parts and accessories.

I thought about the BigMac bag, but I don't always ride with the bag and the platen looks goofy with out the bag on it.

Have fun deciding. Oh, I believe the bag is covered under the 3 year warranty too, something you won't find with most other bags.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2007, 3:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr500
Is the BMW bag worth the extra money?
That question is just about as subjective as "Is the GT worth the extra money over the FJR?". It's your call. I bought the BigMak tankbag and rack. I don't know if it's "worth what I paid"...but I like it.

Besides...it's only money man!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2007, 5:21 pm

Tank bags

I got a Twisted throttle tank bag that I really like. It fits on a ring attached to the fuel filler ring. Pops on and off quickly for gasing up.

It just works.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode