'06 or '07???? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2007, 10:34 pm Thread Starter

'06 or '07????

I'm looking at getting a K1200GT. I'm wondering what kind of difference there is with the brakes between the 2 now the '07 has a new braking system and doesn't have the servos.

I'd like to get an '07 I think but I also think I can get a pretty good deal on an '06.

ANy comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2007, 10:45 pm

Smile

I purchased an 06 partly because I like the servo brakes!
Either is a great bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2007, 10:52 pm
Addict-oholic

ditto. I am used to the servo brakes I had on my 2002 KRS. They are great ! Wondered why BMW switched?

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2007, 11:29 pm

Frankly, I'd go with the better deal. All things being equal (i.e. no miles, equally equipped, etc., etc...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
I am used to the servo brakes I had on my 2002 KRS. They are great ! Wondered why BMW switched?
A lot of first-time Beemer owners and/or testers aren't used to how sensitive they are. Personally, I LOVE them. But most riders are used to a more "linear" feel. All I know is that I spent a LOT of money on my Ninja trying to get the brakes as good as the BMW servo-assisted brakes.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2007, 12:05 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
ditto. I am used to the servo brakes I had on my 2002 KRS. They are great ! Wondered why BMW switched?
I didn't like them on the '05 RT as they were LOUD! On the GT they aren't that bad and I also like the reduced effort on the lever.

Dealer said it was a trade-off for the Traction Control without raising the price too much, if at all. Some police complained about the "feel" and their needed slow speed control. The magazines ripped them pretty good on other bikes that had them as overkill.

Service and the associated costs without the servo-assist might be easier on the wallet too, imho.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2007, 12:11 am

I can't seem to sell my 04GT because of them. Three pre servo LT owners have test riden my 04. They hate them as much as i do. After 12k miles i still can't get used to them after 20 years of Heavy weight sport bikes. As soon as i off load the 04 an 07 will replace it within a week.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2007, 1:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccii42104
I can't seem to sell my 04GT because of them. Three pre servo LT owners have test riden my 04.
I ain't buying it...that's not the only reason you having a hard time selling. There's a lot of variables and reasons why you're having a hard time selling an '04 GT...especailly since the new GT is here. Couple that with the fact that the newly-designed LT is on a lot of current LT owners' minds. (Who knows when that'll get here!) I don't envy you for trying to sell that bike right now. The saddest part is, those GTs are really sweet. Not as sweet as mine . . . but they are still sweet. If I were a rich man, I'd take it off your hands, you betcha.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2007, 12:17 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccii42104
I can't seem to sell my 04GT because of them. Three pre servo LT owners have test riden my 04. They hate them as much as i do. After 12k miles i still can't get used to them after 20 years of Heavy weight sport bikes. As soon as i off load the 04 an 07 will replace it within a week.
I'm with Messenger13 on this one.

Sure, here in N-east Ohio I know of at least 3 nice, low mile GT1/RSs for sale that have been sitting at the dealerships for nearly half a year. I don't believe it has anything to do with power assisted brakes. There are also at least 10 new '07 GT2s for sale in N-east Ohio some of which have also been sitting for months. (I know, it's winter)

To the original post,

I've got an '04 GT with the servo assist brakes and I like 'em alot. Yes, they are non-linear during actuation. However, I'm accustomed to it and I LIKE IT (Saturday Night Live). Sort of like the oft criticized turn signal switchgear setup.

Here's why I like the power assisted brakes.

For the most part I ride quite conservatively. In the few panic/emergency braking situations I've had in my m-c riding life I made the same error each time. I did not pull the front brake hard enough. Don't know why. Yes, I do practice emergency stops. But as most of us know, a real emergency is a horse of a different color.

For me, in an emergency, the power assist takes the (not applying enough front brakes) out of the equation. If I panic, I clench, the brakes are PLENTY ON, and the abs is at the ready if called upon. As the situation is relieved by decrease of speed, good fortune, act of God, or otherwise I can release the brakes as needed.

I think it helps me, as an average joe, when confronted with the unexpected.
Maybe this is what BMW had in mind in the first place when they decided to go with power assist.

If I were in the market for a new GT2 it would be a tough decision, '06 or '07.
Having written the above, I guess I'd go for the one with the power assist ('06). Though it seems like all the m-c magazines are saying good riddance to power assist. Also, '07s can include the HID headlight option and the latest engine management software.
Decisions..

Oh well,
Just put $1500 of love into the '04, fine bike, trimmed to suit me, going to keep it a while.

Dmilan

Last edited by DMilan; Jan 20th, 2007 at 2:47 pm. Reason: content
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2007, 12:30 pm
Veteran

BCdon,

Just so you know (if you didn't already), Xenon was (is) available on '06 bikes in Canada. I see you're from Calgary, so I would expect that might be available to you depending of course on remaining inventory. I'm surprised they still have an '06. My dealer here locally was completely sold out of his '06 allocation long before he even had them. He's already pre-sold several '07s for spring delivery.

It sounds to me like a "bargain" priced '06 is the way to go. I know I got NO bargain (some accessories at cost).

Good luck!

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2007, 3:13 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Chris. There is one '06 here but it is a demo (300 Klics on it) and it isn't in the colour that I'd like. But it does have the Xenon light on it.

I've held off making a deal cause I felt I needed to test ride the bike. But I'm reconsidering now. I suspect I'll go with the '07, fully loaded.

From a brake perspective, I'm a Safety Council (like MSF) volunteer motorcycle instructor. As such I do want to be able to ride slowly, slipping the clutch and modulating the rear brake.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode