Product recall - potential oil leak - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2007, 12:18 pm Thread Starter

Product recall - potential oil leak

Just received notification of a product recall for my 07 GT - wording is as follows:

"....BMW Motorrad has acertained that frequent short-trip usage at ambient temperatures below zero degrees can cause water vapour to condense and freeze in the outlet port of the oil-tank breather. This, in turn, can cause the oil tank to rupture, allowing oil to make its way onto the rear wheel."

Dealer says the replacement parts (whatever they are) are on order and they will contact me when they are in. I did a search to see if this had already been mentioned on the site, but found nothing. I was wondering how widespread this recall is, and if you are already aware of this in the US, especially considering the temps in the northern half at this time of year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2007, 1:55 pm

While I'd love to only ride in nice +20C+ temperatures, that just isn't reality here. In the mountains in summer we can easily get temps below zero at night and into the high 20s during the day.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2007, 2:24 pm
Veteran

I'm thinking that Zero degrees is Celsius.

Being a Fahrenheit person, I've ridden in temps lower than 32 degrees and had the bike parked while camping at locations less than that with the typical morning ice on it.

I'm wondering if it could also affect not only short trips, but being frozen overnight.

So yeah. I'm interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2007, 11:10 pm
Statmaster

Chris,

Do you have a bulletin number or anything on the paperwork that was sent to you? If so, would you be so kind as to post it?

Regards,

Jeff

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2007, 12:51 am
Rookie

I had my first service last week and was told of the recall. Dealer said that recall has been issued but they can't get the parts yet and will contact me when they are in.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2007, 9:30 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Chris,

Do you have a bulletin number or anything on the paperwork that was sent to you? If so, would you be so kind as to post it?

Regards,

Jeff
Regretably not - it was the first thing I looked for. The notification was sent out by the dealer and only contains the wording indicated - no reference numbers at all. I will see if I can get a number from the dealer on Tuesday (they close on Mondays).
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2007, 2:21 pm

Technical bulletins

Greetings,

Would it not it be best to try to gather all published bulletins for the GT's ?
Does anyone know if BMW would be able to block this attempt (legally) ?

My guess is that it would at least help to filter BS and reality.

My bike is under maintenance at BMW itself, I think they are top notch, perfect service, but when I asked if the changed the oil of my 07 final drive, the man in charge looked at me as a doctor thinking "wow a guy that reads crap from the net"

Is there a way to get real info coming from the technical people in charge at BMW?

Hey I think everyone would be better of.

André
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 6:40 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre
Greetings,

Would it not it be best to try to gather all published bulletins for the GT's ?
Does anyone know if BMW would be able to block this attempt (legally) ?

My guess is that it would at least help to filter BS and reality.

My bike is under maintenance at BMW itself, I think they are top notch, perfect service, but when I asked if the changed the oil of my 07 final drive, the man in charge looked at me as a doctor thinking "wow a guy that reads crap from the net"

Is there a way to get real info coming from the technical people in charge at BMW?

Hey I think everyone would be better of.

André
Excellent suggestion.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 7:10 am
Statmaster

We are not allowed to post BMW copyrighted material

But there is NHTSA and other sites which collect recall information such as http://auto-recalls.justia.com/

If someone cares to do the legwork, we could always do something like the LT site has done

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?...ls_faq_recalls

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 5:05 pm Thread Starter

Defect Code for recall

The BMW defect code for the recall is 0000170400. The issue notice was 3/2007 (but this may only be relevant in the UK). Hopefully this will enable anyone to check with their dealers to see if this recall is relevant to their GT. Apparently it involves a replacement oil tank cap with an air-hole in it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode