GT Pre purchase questions. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2007, 2:20 pm Thread Starter

GT Pre purchase questions.

OK, some questions that I'd appreciate answers to:

1) I'd like to use the bike for commuting. I've had a VFR800 before and I'd like similar acceleration and preferably better.

2) I'm looking at a long trip. How is the seat and ergonomics?

3) How are the brakes on the '07?

4) Is there anyting else I should know?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2007, 3:05 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDon

1) I'd like to use the bike for commuting. I've had a VFR800 before and I'd like similar acceleration and preferably better..
Don't know about a VFR800... never ridden one... But I know the acceleration of my '07 GT is nothing short of fantastic! I use mine for commuting about fifteen miles to work. Great for that. Lots of storage room, comfortable ride. Make sure to get a new BMW brand battery charger when you buy the bike.

[/QUOTE]
2) I'm looking at a long trip. How is the seat and ergonomics?.[/QUOTE]
I'm 5-8/170, inseam 31, reach 32, and the ergos are great for me. Perfect position. I haven't had mine out for a long ride yet, but the seat feels like it might turn out to be a bit hard.

[/QUOTE]
3) How are the brakes on the '07?.[/QUOTE]
Brakes on the '07 are different from even the '06 GT. The brakes are Continental-Teves, and are not power assist. There is more of a linear feel to them which is good, and also they work the same way when the bike is not running. They require more effort on the lever, it seems to me, but they definitely are great brakes and stop you quickly.

[/QUOTE]
4) Is there anyting else I should know?.[/QUOTE]
Try out both the high and the low windshield, and the high and low seat. I'm happy with my choice, which was high windshield and low seat. The gas tank arch in the back causes it to get scuffed pretty fast, and you should go ahead and buy the carbon fiber protector right away. Look at both the small and the large topcase. I went with the small and I'm happy, but the large one will hold two helmets.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2007, 3:11 pm

Quote:

1) I'd like to use the bike for commuting. I've had a VFR800 before and I'd like similar acceleration and preferably better.

Thanks.
1.): I own an '07 GT and I would say (not backed up by personal experience) that the GT would be a little quicker and a little "slower" on top end vs. the VFR800.

2.): The seat is HORRENDOUS! However, there are many aftermarket seats available which would cure that. The rest of the ergos are GREAT, IMO.

3.): I've ridden both with and without servo assist and could live with either. I like the fact that my '07 GT brakes are "quiet" without the servo however.

4.): It's a GREAT bike for long distance travel. Very flexible and LOTS of fun to ride even just to the local store and back.

My only recommendation would be to buy the blue color because I've been told it's the fastest

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2007, 3:20 pm
rwp

I too owned a VFR800. I found the K1200GT to be the best of two previous bikes I owned: the VFR800 and the BMW R1150RT. It has a great engine like the VFR. However, the ergonomics make it a better touring bike than the VFR. It is the best of both worlds.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2007, 9:57 am

I used to have a Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec for commuting and a K1200LT for touring. When the Suzuki got written off by a cager I tried using the LT to commute - didn't enjoy it..!! Traded in the LT for an 07 GT and it now does both jobs superbly. Acceleration is definitely NOT a problem (other than an increased chance of losing your licence). I prefer the non-servo brakes on the 07 model, but both types are equally good at their job if you got the chance of an 06 model. The main issue I have is with the seat comfort after about 2 hours. Am waiting for the heated Corbin replacement to come out. Also got the Cee Baileys windscreen (+4+2), as neither of the stock screens were good for a long journey (too noisy and buffetting). There are even peg-droppers available if, like me, you find the slightly sporting peg positions a little too high. Apart from those correctable aspects, it should do any journey length you want.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2007, 10:08 am

A word to the wise!

I just think the K-GT is a pathetic attempt by BMW to compete with the FJR1300. First of all, the K-GT is NOT stable in high winds. You will find that it sways violently if you go any faster than 90mph on the freeway. I have heard that is because of the ridiculously shaped fairing. No dynamics whatsoever.

Secondly, the K-GT's ergonomics aren't what they make out to be. You'll find that most owners end up fitting aftermarket seats, windshields and footpegs. I just don't find that acceptable when you pay 20K for a brand new bike.

Lastly, if you read this forum thoroughly and give it some thought, you'll realise the K-GT has countless problems with it. From oil-leak recalls to fuel gauge accuracy. It seems BMW haven't listened to their customers atall either. And now it has come to light that every year BMW will be making changes to the bike (for example, this year, they are going to be adding on traction control and removing servo brakes). Who knows what they have planned in 2008? And you know the thing that bugs me the most, if you have a '07 bike with all the latest technology, I can bet you in '08 they will have something better and you won't be able to retrofit anything.

So why don't you broaden your horizons, look at the wider picture, and think, you CAN get the same bang for your buck and comfort with Yamaha's FJR1300, without the burden on your pocket.

Oh and another thing, with a BMW, you might have to travel a good 200 miles to find your nearest service dealer only to find that they cost a bomb. Whereas with Yamaha, you will have no problems. And parts come cheap.

Make a wise decision and let us know.
Ta
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2007, 12:54 pm

Quote:
No worries there. The GT and VFR800 are comparable. The GT may be slightly faster...if I were to take a guess.

Quote:
The stock seat sucks, but after 13K I'm actually getting used to it. I'll probably replace it with a Russell Day-Long this year.

Quote:
I have an '06 which has servo-assisted. I love them! But I'm sure the new '07 with the Conti-Teves brakes are equally amazing...just a bit more linear. BMW doesn't sell a bike that has crappy brakes, as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
Ride it like ya stole it! Oh . . . and the blue ones are the fastest!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2007, 6:02 pm
Rookie

I traded my R1200RT in for a new GT a couple of weeks ago. I commute every day, 25 miles each way (don't own a car) and sometimes I have to do journies of up to 800 miles in a day for work.

You won't be dissappointed in the acceleration of the GT I can assure you. I find the bike easy to handle in traffic (easier than the RT), to me it's a pleasure to commute on.

Unlike most other folk, I find the stock seat comfortable, and the ergonomics of the bike fine for long distances - I have the bars in the lowered position, which puts a bit more strain on the hands, but nothing drastic.

I have the power assisted brakes and find then fine (once you get used to the delicate touch required). If you grab a handfull the bike stops REALLY quickly - so mind & check your mirrors first!

After the VFR 800 you'll probably find the GT heavy, but thats only an issue when pushing it around in the garage - once you are moving the weight is not an issue.

You may feel the front end a little vauge (compared to the conventional forks on the Honda), but the handling is comparable - the GT corners really well.

Make sure you take a test ride before committing - most BMW dealers will be cool with that, if not - find another.

If you do get one - let us know and post some pics!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode