Canbus Recharge Problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:27 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Canbus Recharge Problem

I have a 2006 GT that was recharging just fine (have one of the fancy BMW canbus approved chargers). The bike would charge and the light would move to 3/3 on the charger.

My problem is that after I upgraded the bike to 7.0, it would only charge to 2/3. I took the bike back and they have now upgraded to 7.1 The charger will not move off the red 1/3 level.

Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, what was the fix. Any guesses?

Thanks all for the help. By the way, I am using the instructions that call for you to turn the bike powere on for 5 seconds, connect the charger, and then leave bike power on for 15 seconds to ensure charger is recognized.

Help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:43 am
Veteran

Did you consider the charger may be "exercising" the battery and that this is normal? You do need leave it for at least 36-48 hours in my experience for it to "settle down".

I'd be VERY surprised if the charging function was at all related to software version, but hey you never know.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:38 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Skiziks

Thanks for quick response. Left it on for 36 hours and it never moved off the red since the software upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:54 pm
Addict

It might be worth a look at the battery. It might really be getting weak.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 2:30 pm

I have three of these chargers and four CAN bus bikes. The only bike that the charger works properly on is the R1200S. On that bike it goes through all stages and will cycle over the days. It will also give the blinking 1/3 red light when it sulfates. On the other three bikes I only get one charge cycle (all lights through 3/3) and then it shuts off. At the end of charging the last light or the first light may remain lit but there is no charging going on as evidenced by monitoring the battery voltage with a digital voltmeter (voltage slowly goes down with time). I believe the chargers did work on the original K12S factory software load but not after the first upgrade so it may indeed be a software issue.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 2:52 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyeknott
I have three of these chargers and four CAN bus bikes. The only bike that the charger works properly on is the R1200S. On that bike it goes through all stages and will cycle over the days. It will also give the blinking 1/3 red light when it sulfates. On the other three bikes I only get one charge cycle (all lights through 3/3) and then it shuts off. At the end of charging the last light or the first light may remain lit but there is no charging going on as evidenced by monitoring the battery voltage with a digital voltmeter (voltage slowly goes down with time). I believe the chargers did work on the original K12S factory software load but not after the first upgrade so it may indeed be a software issue.

Very interesting. Mine "appears" to be working fine on my V 6.0 GT2.

It will be interesting see what comes of this. Please keep us posted.

Thanks!

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 5:34 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Canbus

Will keep everyone posted as this progresses.

As you say SKIZIKS - mine worked fine - cycled through all 3 stages when i was on the V 6 software. With V 7 changes i am losing charging cycles. The other interesting issue is that I have a 2006 KS that I upgraded from the V. 6 to V.7 and have not had any problems with the charger - go figure?????

Will be speaking to the shop tomorrow.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 5:41 pm
Strafist

Works just fine on my 07 GT.

Do you plug the charger into the socket, plug the plug into the wall, turn the bike on and let it cycle, then turn the bike off?

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode