Dead headlight on 07' - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2007, 10:57 am Thread Starter

Dead headlight on 07'

My Low beam Xenon blew out this week. It came on when I started the bike, but died seconds later. 07' GT with only 2k miles on it. Dealer is still checking on part number and availability, since yesterday. I don't know what's so complicated about a headlight bulb.

As an FYI, the bulbs are only covered for 6 months. It's not a big deal, but after a quick search online the bulb is in the $150 range. Assuming it's only the bulb that blew.

I had the bulb out, but put it back in once I saw the price. Now that the dealer is stumbling I may still replace it myself. Without taking it out again, does anyone know the model number of the Bulb? I remember it's a Philips with a built in igniter, but I didn't write down the model number.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2007, 11:12 am Thread Starter

This might be it:
http://www.suvlights.com/product_inf...products_id=67

Philips XenStart But, I don't know which one. D1S, D1R....?
At $150, I'll push the dealer to get one in, so I can stop riding around with my high-beams on.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2007, 11:36 am Thread Starter

Guess this thread is all mine !

The manual says the Xenon bulb is a D2R. But, from a bit of research, it is NOT a D2R. The D1S/D1R have the XenStart igniter as part of the bulb, the D2R/D2S do not. My bulb has the XenStart igniter, so it's D1R/D1S. It also has the black band around the bulb, so that makes it a D1R. So much for RTFM.

I can't wait to see what the dealer thinks it is, from his parts manual.

Also, I found a Sylvania bulb, that matches the D2R, for only $110.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2007, 12:05 pm
Addict

Even though I do not have the xenon option, I'm intrested in what you find. I thought these bulbs, xenon, were suppose to last a long time? anyway keep posting!!

P.S. The xenon was a 450 option. Bulb is 150, which includes igniter, what else do you get for $300.00, ballast?

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.

Last edited by hazard; Jan 24th, 2007 at 12:14 pm.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2007, 12:40 pm Thread Starter

I thought they did too(long lasting). Which raises a question. How do you diagnose a bulb vs igniter vs ballast issue? Since the last time it worked, it lit briefly so it's probably not the igniter. But, since there isn't a filament, how can a bulb go bad in just 2 months? I might have a bad ballast. Anyone know how to tell? Trial and error?

Four your $450. The bulb/igniter and a ballast. About $300 in parts. The extra is for the word Xenon written inside the reflector

I'm not a big fan of Xenon, because I don't really think it helps my night driving/riding. Sure, they're whiter light, but a good halogen setup provides just as much visibility. I couldn't care less that Xenon runs on 35w vs 55 watts. Plus I could go buy a new $10 Hallogen bulb and not have to dick around with the dealer(50 miles away)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2007, 2:08 pm

generally if the bulb is replaced the igniter is replaced at the same time. I doubt its the bulb at 2000 miles. They usually go at least 50,000 in automotive applications.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2007, 2:11 pm
Statmaster

Unless the glass on the bulb broken, I doubt it's the bulb. It's more likely to be the ballast.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2007, 5:02 pm Thread Starter

The dealer found the part #s(day and a half) and found a bulb, but not a ballast yet. I shared your suggestions that it was more likely the ballast, so no point in me making the trip till they have the parts.

Anyone know of a good Halogen upgrade kit?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2007, 9:10 pm
Statmaster

www.cqlight.ca (the one from the group buy listed a couple weeks ago).

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8023

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode