Replace Windshield? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2007, 8:25 am Thread Starter

Replace Windshield?

I have the stock BMW windshield (not the taller option). At 5'10" I sit at a level where the top of the windshield, when all the way up, comes up to about the bridge of my nose. Perfect, or so you would think. The problem is that the air gets a little unstable with some buffeting experienced with the shield up.

Is there a problem with the general shape of the shield? Has anyone replaced their shield with a same size aftermarket shield and found cleaner air? I see that most everyone goes a couple of inches taller and/or wider when purchasing aftermarket. I don't think I need a different size, just a different shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2007, 8:40 am

I've tried 5 different shield sizes. The 2 bmw sizes, and 3 from CeeBaily's. The CB screens are a bit better shape but not perfect. On all the shields the last inch or so causes unstable air (I'm 5'11"). It's something to do with the way the shield tips as it raises/lowers.

I ended up with a +3+0. I found extra width to cause more problems than is solved. The +3 lets me get my head in clean air(down about 1" from the top). I'd like a little more air when it's all the way down, but can't have it both ways.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2007, 12:03 pm

I see Parabellum now has a sheild for the GT. Their stuff is usually pretty quiet. Anyone try one?

http://www.parabellum.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC
I see Parabellum now has a sheild for the GT. Their stuff is usually pretty quiet. Anyone try one?
Had one on the RT. It was thinner than stock. The Cee-Bailey is a thick shield - thicker than stock.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2007, 12:31 pm

Quote:
I've tried 5 different shield sizes. The 2 bmw sizes, and 3 from CeeBaily's. The CB screens are a bit better shape but not perfect. On all the shields the last inch or so causes unstable air (I'm 5'11"). It's something to do with the way the shield tips as it raises/lowers.

I ended up with a +3+0. I found extra width to cause more problems than is solved. The +3 lets me get my head in clean air(down about 1" from the top). I'd like a little more air when it's all the way down, but can't have it both ways.
I had a +4 that was perfect on the RT and changed to the BMW Tall in the heat of summer. I have a +3+0 on order that will hopefully get here in the coming week. I'll post my thoughts when I've used it for a bit. I'm 5'10 by the way. My goals are to reduce turbulence and wind noise. I have high hopes that hopefully aren't too high.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2007, 12:57 pm
Enthusiast

Cb

I have found that the Cee Bailey improves things quite a great deal. Their lip redirects the air up and away. The shield also appears to be heavier.
I am aprox 5'11" and have found the +2 high and the +3 wide is just the ticket. The extra width make a huge difference in giving you total protection.
For the summer, am going back to the stock tall windshield as i like the additional cool air. I may even try a Cee Bailey -2.
As many things are with these bikes, windshields are very personal re: "the right fit".
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2010, 9:01 pm
Rookie

Quote:

http://www.parabellum.com/
I have a Parabellum screen that is 3-5 inches taller than the stock for my K1200GT and is quiet and rides very well and keeps the water off in the rain. I would recomend it!

Rick Mead
2004 K1200GT Orient Blue
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2010, 9:03 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Had one on the RT. It was thinner than stock. The Cee-Bailey is a thick shield - thicker than stock.
Parabellum is a good screen. I was just at my dealer getting a tuneup and the tech was impressed with the quiet ride that my screen gave him. I am as well.

Rick Mead
2004 K1200GT Orient Blue
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2010, 9:04 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Great screen! Quiet and protects well.

Rick Mead
2004 K1200GT Orient Blue
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2010, 10:06 pm
Veteran

If you want a barn door that affects handling as well as giving you a quiet ride there are a lot of options out there. I've tried several, but so far and the tall stock with a laminar lip has proved the best of all worlds for me. 6'1" and can vary the screen accordingly. With a good set of in ear phones it's quite comfy for days at a time.

http://www.laminarlip.com/k1200gt.php

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode